The 2017 OC Connect High School Football pool starts Thursday 8/24

Get your predictions in here!

Click the X at the upper right to dismiss this message.

Game of Thrones

Notorious

Game of Thrones

Postby Notorious » Mon May 07, 2012 3:43 pm

Anyone else into this show? I never read the books but the show is so good I have to imagine the books to be amazing.

Peter Dinklage is amazing in it, in fact there are very few weak actors in it which is surprising given how large the cast. Maisie Williams and Charles Dancer have some great moments in it as well and I feel like Williams will be a great actress in the future.

It's easily my favorite hour of the week currently and my favorite drama on television. This show is what I wanted the Lord of the Rings movies to be, as I am much more interested in this type of series lore and plot than the LOTOR books.

Any opinions on it?

Never Underestimate The Fart Of A Monarch

Omar Bongo

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby Omar Bongo » Mon May 07, 2012 4:04 pm

DId you read the Hobbit and LOTR books?

I watched the first season of Thrones, thought it was good in parts but was turned off by all the gratuitous graphic sex/nudity throughout. I'm no prude but I thought it was way overdone and added nothing to the story.
I thought it would be easier
Donald Trump

How stupid is our country?
Donald Trump

Notorious

Postby Notorious » Mon May 07, 2012 4:13 pm

Omar Bongo wrote:DId you read the Hobbit and LOTR books?

I watched the first season of Thrones, thought it was good in parts but was turned off by all the gratuitous graphic sex/nudity throughout. I'm no prude but I thought it was way overdone and added nothing to the story.

Yes I read through the books of LOTOR, and enjoyed the books quite well. I didn't feel it would translate well to the screen for me as I thought it would come off as a bit too cheesy.

Agreed the sexual aspect is often unneeded in the show, I think there's a lot in the book so they tried to reflect that. I expect the book however has those as meaningful where as in the show they throw it in there often just because they can since its HBO and for no actual plot/setting reason. I enjoy the fact that the characters are all morally ambiguous and anyone can die at seemingly any time and it wouldn't be too out of left field for it to happen.

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Mon May 07, 2012 4:26 pm

I loved the LOTR books but thought the movie didn't do them justice, which is understandable. They would have needed three movies for each book, a total of nine to do it right.

Beyond the fact that every five minutes of sweaty doggie-style sex is five minutes less of actual story, I did like as you mention they are not afraid to take chances with characters. Even though Sean Bean was about the only character I really liked and they quickly killed him off. I haven't watched any of the second season, how do you think it compares with the first? Better?
I thought it would be easier
Donald Trump

How stupid is our country?
Donald Trump

Notorious

Postby Notorious » Mon May 07, 2012 4:37 pm

Omar Bongo wrote:I loved the LOTR books but thought the movie didn't do them justice, which is understandable. They would have needed three movies for each book, a total of nine to do it right.

Beyond the fact that every five minutes of sweaty doggie-style sex is five minutes less of actual story, I did like as you mention they are not afraid to take chances with characters. Even though Sean Bean was about the only character I really liked and they quickly killed him off. I haven't watched any of the second season, how do you think it compares with the first? Better?

I wouldn't say better, I'd say it's different. They're focusing more on the world at large and the conflicts within them rather than focusing on the Lannister/Stark feud itself. We're seeing more of the other parts of the seven kingdoms and Jon Snow on/past the wall storyline just got interesting in last night's episode.

I agree with the Sean Bean being the only character I really liked, but come on it's Sean Bean. Of course he was going to die. It was just a matter of how/when.

Red

Postby Red » Mon May 07, 2012 5:03 pm

Omar Bongo wrote:DId you read the Hobbit and LOTR books?

Omar, that you and I agree on! There is no reason for it. Same as "The Borgias"! Why? Even most of the violence is way over the top.
Liberalism is like an out-of-control 5 year old at McDonalds. All the talking to and admonishment won't make a difference. They have no concept of right or wrong, they are nothing more than narcissists.

Parrotpaul

Postby Parrotpaul » Mon May 07, 2012 5:37 pm

You have to have a reason for gratuitous nudity and sex? Who knew? :shrug:
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

Red

Postby Red » Mon May 07, 2012 5:40 pm

Parrotpaul wrote:You have to have a reason for gratuitous nudity and sex? Who knew? :shrug:

Why the smarminess? There is NO reason to screw up what I thought was a decent series on HBO. I agree with Omar. The only reason for the gratuitous sex is because they can.
Liberalism is like an out-of-control 5 year old at McDonalds. All the talking to and admonishment won't make a difference. They have no concept of right or wrong, they are nothing more than narcissists.

Parrotpaul

Postby Parrotpaul » Mon May 07, 2012 6:08 pm

A Facebook friend asked today if we all thought GOT was a version of the Sopranos with large cutlery. I offered this...I have to be wide-awake to watch Game of Thrones or I zone off. I like the show, but my wife gets tired of reminding me who everyone is and what family they belong to.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

Notorious

Postby Notorious » Mon May 07, 2012 7:08 pm

Red wrote:
Omar, that you and I agree on! There is no reason for it. Same as "The Borgias"! Why? Even most of the violence is way over the top.

I've never seen/heard of The Borgias, I'll have to look into it, although most Showtime stuff I don't like besides Dexter.

I don't mind the nudity like you guys but if they dropped it I would be ok with it either way. I actually like the graphic violence on the show as it adds an extra layer of attachment seeing the actual decapitations instead of cutting away. I

Notorious

Postby Notorious » Mon May 07, 2012 7:10 pm

Parrotpaul wrote:A Facebook friend asked today if we all thought GOT was a version of the Sopranos with large cutlery. I offered this...I have to be wide-awake to watch Game of Thrones or I zone off. I like the show, but my wife gets tired of reminding me who everyone is and what family they belong to.

I was like this when it first started but after the first season I knew exactly who everyone was and who they belonged to, I think it has a high barrier to overcome getting into the show (the first 2 episodes were a bit dull), but after that it really picked up and it was easy to understand who is which.

One of my favorite characters just died 2 episodes ago out of nowhere and it made me happy, because it felt like an actual plot twist, instead of one I saw a mile away.

bubba35

Postby bubba35 » Tue May 08, 2012 8:42 am

I have read all the books on GOT and LOTR as well as watched the series/movies. Enjoyed LOTR better than GOT. Part of the problem is I have become a lazy reader in my old age. Far too many charecters to keep up with in GOT. Paul of you're having trouble keeping up with the charecters now, you're really in for it as the series continues. My son has seen and read both as well and much prefers GOT. We generally watch it together and he has to remind me who most of the charecters are. There have been a few changes in the plot from book to series but in my opinion they are not that important. Too much sex but the violence does not bother me. Sean Bean was the best (most honorable) character but I also like John Snow. That's one of the only things I did not like about the books, all of the characters are honorablly ambiguous.

Parrotpaul

Postby Parrotpaul » Tue May 08, 2012 10:07 am

bubba35 wrote: That's one of the only things I did not like about the books, all of the characters are honorablly ambiguous.

Kind of like most of the cop shows these days.

Parrotpaul

Postby Parrotpaul » Tue May 08, 2012 10:10 am

I can tolerate fantasy for so long. and then it gets too complicated and tedious for me....the DUNE series of books was like that...the first two or three were spell-binding...then the material got way too thin.

Daenerys is my favorite character....I like her approach to life.....her pet dragons are a plus. Ladies what is it about the sexy dwarf that gets you all a-flutter?

Fordama

Postby Fordama » Sun May 15, 2016 6:51 pm

They have done some masterful jobs of coming up with "holy s--t" endings. Tonight's was no exception.

This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

Fordama

Postby Fordama » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:16 pm

Great cold opening to season 7 tonight!
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

Return to “TV”