Why the Stock Market Doesnt Like Republicans

Omar Bongo

Re: Why the Stock Market Doesnt Like Republicans

Postby Omar Bongo » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:57 pm

The Prof. is apparently going on and on about it because he's upset that Obama isn't getting full credit for his eight years of stock market gains, economic expansion, falling unemployment, etc... --:--

Professor Fate

Postby Professor Fate » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:45 pm

MDDad and I were pointing out that the later the date, the smaller the spaces became. I only used 18,000 - 20,000 as an example to illustrate that, Omar. But then you already knew that now, didn't you. I could just as easily used 20,000 - 22,000 or, if your graph had been up to date, 22,000 - 24,000, and made the same point.
Well, obviously we have giant butterflies in CA. They's climbin' in your windows, They's snatchin' your people up, tryin' to steal 'em. So y'all need to hide your kids, hide your stars, and hide your coaches cause they're grabin' everybody out here.

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:03 pm

The lady doth protest too much, methinks...it's pretty obvious what you're trying to pull by beating the minutiae horse to death...

And trying to gain some credibility by glomming on to MDDAD... [-X
"Character matters to the presidency and Donald Trump will bring the highest level of integrity to the highest office in the land. You can count on it.”
Mike Pence

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

Professor Fate

Postby Professor Fate » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:11 pm

Yeah, let's go with that.
Well, obviously we have giant butterflies in CA. They's climbin' in your windows, They's snatchin' your people up, tryin' to steal 'em. So y'all need to hide your kids, hide your stars, and hide your coaches cause they're grabin' everybody out here.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:12 pm

Or you could just as easily have used 10,000 - 20,000. It flattens Obama's numbers, too.

But the real question is "What has he done to make the Dow go up?"

Or the easier one, "What has he done to make the Dow not go up as much as other countries' indices have?"
Don't look at me, I just work here.

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:07 am

Anything but "What has he done to actually make my life better?"...that's a toughie, best keep 'em focused on that shiny object yonder
"Character matters to the presidency and Donald Trump will bring the highest level of integrity to the highest office in the land. You can count on it.”
Mike Pence

Donald Trump

Professor Fate

Postby Professor Fate » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:17 am

I already mentioned that:

I am retired now, and have withdrawn 9% of my 401k this year, and yet my balance is higher than it was before those withdrawals. Like I said in an earlier post...Who says you can't have your 401k and spend it too? :thumbsup:
Try to keep up, Omar.

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:44 am

I know you keep saying it, but somehow it's just not convincing...maybe you need to close your eyes and click your heels three times as you click submit

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:56 am

What a difference a year makes. Two years ago candidate Trump was saying the "real" unemployment rate was over 40%. That the official numbers from the BLS were not correct. A year after that candidate Trump was saying the stock market was a bubble ready to burst.

Now both are touted as economic successes. This is significant since candidate Trump claimed the economy was a disaster. Now it isn't. Even though his first budget didn't take effect till October 1.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Fordama

Postby Fordama » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:56 am

It's exactly what someone would do to make the second half of Obama's term look worse.
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

Professor Fate

Postby Professor Fate » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:18 pm

\:D/ Up another 331.27 today. Time to extend those graphs. It's now at 24, 272.35 \:D/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IJjEqwBcpo

Fordama

Postby Fordama » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:42 pm

Good to see the Obama recover continue.
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

Professor Fate

Postby Professor Fate » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:37 pm

Too bad the stock market doesn't like Republicans.

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:34 pm

“The hedge fund guys didn’t build this country. These are guys that shift paper around and they get lucky."

Presidential Candidate Donald Trump

Mike Pence

Donald Trump

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:27 am

Of course they did.
Attachments
Dem Amendment.jpg
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:57 am

Did they really do that? On the record? As monstrous as this tax bill is, I think that amendment - if they were serious - is even worse. Sounds like something Mussolini would have done.

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:10 am

I believe they knew it would get shut down.

The flaw in trickle down econ theory is that it assume that those increased revenues will "trickle" down via consumption. That has never happened.

In fact many CEO's have stated they have no intention of raising wages. They intend to increase shareholder dividends or do stock buyback programs. Which will have limited effect.

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:22 am

Is that the new way to look like a hero? Add an amendment that provides every hourly wage-earner a $10 million bonus, knowing it will get shot down, and you become an idolized superhero with a cape? What a great strategy.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:26 am

Wabash wrote:Source of the post They intend to increase shareholder dividends or do stock buyback programs. Which will have limited effect.

Oh, it'll have a great effect on their bottom lines. It won't do squat for people who don't own their stock, though.

I'll be curious to know if lowering the corporate rate does anything at all to bring businesses back on shore. There are still plenty of incentives to headquartering overseas. Just one not-uncommon fer-instance (called a "Double Irish") - XYZ-America, a subsidiary of XYZ Corporation, an American company based in a PO Box in Ireland, "borrows" $10 million from its "owner" at a rate of 5%. It "pays it back" and deducts the 5% from its taxes. At a new and improved corporate rate of 20%, whoever actually is paying taxes presents XYZ Corp. with a gift of $100,000 with maybe 10% of that going to the government of Ireland. Why would they move back here when they can still make money from out of thin air by headquartering overseas?

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:50 am

Putting the stock market performance in perspective. This first year of Obama's presidency the Dems also had majorities in both houses of congress.
Attachments
Stock Market Gains.jpg
Stock Market Gains.jpg (31.95 KiB) Viewed 48 times

Return to “The Economy”