Quick 2 question user survey

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Re: Quick 2 question user survey

Postby John Q. Public » Sun May 31, 2015 10:52 am

MDDad wrote:One thing that would improve the forum overnight is the removal of that ridiculous Orange County Area Scoreboard. I'd guess almost half the time the scores are wrong, or the scores are backwards, or the scores are right but the teams are wrong, or both are right and the sport is wrong. Other than irritation, there's really no other value in that eyesore.

What do you mean it's ridiculous? How else would you have known about Indio's double header when the beat MV at home and then rode a bus 2 1/2 hours to Bellflower and crushed Bosco on their home field? Pretty amazing athletes if you ask me!

Yeah, I think about the same way on it. I wish there was an accurate one out there somewhere. I'll think about removing it as soon as the baseball playoffs are over. I've been looking at it because my alma mater's team is actually in the playoffs this year and their scores have been accurate. First time in 20 years they've so much as won league, so it's kind of cool to watch.

But your request points out the position I wish I wasn't in. It's the first real feedback I've gotten on it and it's been there for almost a year.

Feedback, folks! Requests! My door is open. This is supposed to be your community. I'm open to ideas on how we can shape it.

Don't look at me, I just work here.

Parrotpaul

Postby Parrotpaul » Sun May 31, 2015 11:22 am

is it possible to make the last post on a page also the first post on the next page....lots of stuff gets lost being the last post on a page.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Sun May 31, 2015 11:57 am

There's a bug that does that now and then that just makes the same post appear as the last and the first that's probably related to the bug that would probably not make your request not doable. I think what happens is if a post is deleted on the first page, the post count doesn't get updated in the database. It will say 20 posts but there are physically 19 posts. So, anything that would do that automatically might insert the post into the last one on the first page, rather than in the first one on the next page. The next version of the board (whenever that happens) will have a soft delete, so it will work the same way. A deleted post will still be there but it won't be visible, so the post count won't change - which would completely throw that. I think. The place where the page breaks seems to come from a different place in the db than the one for the post count. Or something like that.
:: gotta find that "head spinning" smiley ::

Best way to do it is probably what I try to do. If I notice that my reply is the first on the next page, I'll hit the Edit button and go back and quote the post I'm replying to.

Parrotpaul

Postby Parrotpaul » Sun May 31, 2015 12:00 pm

But if the post you are quoting isn't the last one on the prior page, chances are the last post on the prior page gets lost in the shuffle.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Sun May 31, 2015 12:38 pm

I hate when that happens. Especially when the last post makes a really good point or it's the only one in a string of posts that's on topic. But I can't think of a way of avoiding it and I've never heard of a modification that does that.

Hanna

Postby Hanna » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:37 am

JQP wrote:

I liked that format too, but I don't know of any software that's been updated in the last 10 years or so that even has it as an option. Reddit does it but they wrote and maintain their own. Most would take a "void your warranty" kind of hack to accomplish it and you'd be on your own to keep it secure.

Democratic Underground has this format where you can reply directly.

See an example

http://www.democraticunderground.com/10141107468

I suppose you could ask them what software they are using, probably developed. They have some strong computer guys. And this has been since 2001.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/?com=contact

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:33 am

It's probably either one they wrote themselves or an old one that they've modernized and updated. I don't know of any that wouldn't have to be specially developed that do threaded topics these days. And the odds of converting this board to one would probably be slim to none anyway because we have almost half a million posts that don't have any information about what post they're in reply to, other than maybe the opening one. It might be good on a new board but I'd think it would make a mess of an existing one.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:56 am

Parrotpaul wrote:is it possible to make the last post on a page also the first post on the next page....lots of stuff gets lost being the last post on a page.

Silly me. I was checking phpBB's site to see if there was any progress on the "bug" that's keeping me from switching to the new version (none yet) and I found out there is such a modification. I'll look at it. Installing it depends on how much trouble it is and how close the version for the update is. I wouldn't want to have it for this version but not have it when I update. It's in Alpha stage right now but it doesn't sound that complicated and the guy doing it sounds sort of motivated. We'll see.

While I was looking, I saw an old one that removes the quote button on the last post. Apparently other people were irritated with people using it when there's no reason to. I'm not alone. No indication if it will be available for the new version but we'll probably have it if it is.

Return to “The Suggestion Box”