Collegiate Cheer

pattywannamack

Re: Collegiate Cheer

Postby pattywannamack » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:57 pm

MDDad wrote:I can't imagine there are enough qualified judges in SoCal to manage this new undertaking. Look for the number of H-1B visa applications from East Germany to skyrocket.

Exactly. There weren't nearly enough skilled gymnasts in high schools who could compete safely without crippling themselves.

Next up -- competitive pole-dancing.

Not to be "that guy" but I am pretty sure diving is still a CIF sport and judged subjectively

There is nothing uglier in this world than a parent riding on the success of their child.

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Mon May 01, 2017 12:14 am

Yes, but with all the scoring criteria spelled out for judges, including degree of difficulty and uniform point deductions, I'm not sure judging diving is any more subjective than calling balls and strikes, checked swings, balks, pickoffs, missed tags, etc.
"Character matters to the presidency and Donald Trump will bring the highest level of integrity to the highest office in the land. You can count on it.”
Mike Pence

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Mon May 01, 2017 7:18 am

Patty and Omar, I agree with your comments. However, diving is only one (or two) events in a high school swim meet, and the meet winner is almost always determined by objective timing in the races. And while there are subjective calls in baseball and every other sport, the team that scores the most runs still wins the game. The umpires do not huddle together at the end of the game and vote on which team won based on their subjective opinion of who played better. Cheer will almost certainly be like gymnastics in its subjective scoring (and parent protests?)

not4u13

Postby not4u13 » Fri May 05, 2017 5:51 am

We know exactly how cheer is going to go. It's been a sport for a very long time now. It just hasn't been sanctioned by the CIF. There are score sheets and recordings from the judges that provide explanations for the scoring. The better coaches know and understand the scoring criteria well and will coach their teams to maximize the score, including eliminating penalties. Typically penalties are in place to address risks.

Making cheer an official CIF sport is likely to reduce the risk for the participants. That has to be viewed as a good thing.
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir
http://www.quotesdaddy.com

Return to “College”