St. Paul vs. MD 1967

St. Paul vs. MD 1967

Postby Lionhunter » Wed May 16, 2012 10:18 am

Don't know where this guy is getting these, but now he has uploaded the battle at the SA Bowl. A lot riding on this game. MD win means a Co-Championship with Servite. A St. Paul win means 2nd place and a playoff spot for the Swordsmen. Good quality film.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAneVeoutGo

p.s. Notice the Servite banner on the SP side at 4:04 on the film.
Goin' on a lion hunt, but I don't see no lion.
Lionhunter

Re: St. Paul vs. MD 1967

Postby sammy swordsman » Wed May 16, 2012 7:14 pm

Lionhunter, Thank you for posting this. I really enjoyoed watching guys I had only heard about, actually play.

Great game 7-3. Very physical style of football by both teams. Smash mouth football at its best. Whichever team had teh biggest toughest, strongest line wins.

How about posting some 1968 - 1973 St. Paul servite/Mater Dei games.
sammy swordsman

Postby sammy swordsman » Wed May 16, 2012 10:24 pm

Here is the write up about that game in the St. Paul archives....

Thursday November 16, 1967. It was St. Paul vs. Mater Dei before a near capacity crowd in the Santa Ana Bowl. For Mater Dei, the scourge of the '60s, it was the final league game before the impending CIF playoffs and a night to celebrate another home coming victory. For St. Paul, it was the opportunity to establish credibility in both the Angeles league and among the heavyweights in the elite CIF 4A division.

The battle raged on and a combination of penalties and a tenacious Monarch defense turned the Swordsmen away time and time again. Mater Dei held a slim 3-0 lead with only minutes remaining. The Swordsmen never gave up. A stunning 76 yeard drive culminated witha 00:36 to play and SP had taken a 7-3 lead over Mater Dei. The Big Blue defense then thwarted a last ditch Monarch rally and St. Paul's "gutty little Swordsmen" had earned themselves a place in the sun at last. As the clock ticked off the SP student body swarmed onto the field at the Santa Ana Bowl to congradulate and celebrate with the team. On that night, the Ama Mater could be heard like never before! Afterwards the team returned to a student/parent/fan reception that was indicative of the tremendous unity and spirit that had developed in the St. Paul family.

* Note Mater Dei had the top defense in the CIF in 1967.
** This was game #31 in St. Pauls national record of 207 consecutive games scored. 1964- 1982.

(since been broken by De La Salle.)
sammy swordsman

Postby Lionhunter » Wed May 16, 2012 10:32 pm

sammy swordsman wrote:Lionhunter, Thank you for posting this. I really enjoyoed watching guys I had only heard about, actually play.

Great game 7-3. Very physical style of football by both teams. Smash mouth football at its best. Whichever team had teh biggest toughest, strongest line wins.

How about posting some 1968 - 1973 St. Paul servite/Mater Dei games.

You're welcome. I'll keep my eye out for more from this guy. I'm hoping to see the '71 Servite/Mater Dei game. We were losing badly, and nothing was going right for us, and Coach Dena was getting angry with the spotters in the press box. So the coaches in the box refused to continue and slammed the phones down on the desk. So I picked them up and began to suggest plays for the Friars. I was just an unpaid frosh assistant coach, but Coach Dena went with every play I called. One of the newspapers reported that "halfway through the 4th quarter the Servite offense came alive. Behind the passing combination of Mike Magner to Peter Pohl the Friars marched down the field deep into Monarch territory. Once there, however, they forgot how they got there, and went back to the ground only to fumble the ball away inside the 5 yd line." (I always thought Dena did the right thing there inside the ten as the field gets a lot smaller).

So we lost 29-3, and I was unhappy about that, but I had done so well calling the offense on that long drive, that I was sure a paid coaching job awaited me for the next season. Unfortunately Coach Dena resigned after that game, so it didn't happen.
Goin' on a lion hunt, but I don't see no lion.
Lionhunter