Servite Offensive Coordinator is fired

Re: Servite Offensive Coordinator is fired

Postby Mayhemamoungus » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:49 pm

I also forgot coach Varsity OL coach Hearn and his son who left mid season several years ago
Mayhemamoungus

Postby socalfootballfan » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:29 pm

Mayhemamoungus wrote:
There has certainly been a revolving door with regards to coaches at all levels in the Servite program over the last few years. Thomas rules all levels with a high level of control and you are either with the program or you are out. The departures that I know of, either forced,voluntary or to pursue other opportunities are:

1.) varsity Oline coach after the DLS debacle (don't remember the name)
2.) Dan Kause, frosh head coach the last two years
3.) Kody Kekepi, frosh Oline coach the last two years
4.) Myles Bamford, JV Dline coach last year
5.) Michael Pitre, JV Dline coach last year
6.) Program strength and conditioning coach to Mater Dei last year (don't know the name)
7.) Ed ?, JV Oline coach last year
8.) Matt Mitchell, Varsity Offensive Coordinator
9.) Coach Nichols yesterday, JV Dlinemen coach
10.) Ken Foresch, Varsity special teams coach the last few years

These are just the ones that I can remember and I am fairly sure that there are more. This might be normal for a program this size but the mid season dismissal of Mitchell and Nichols is out of the norm for sure.

How about Frank Kalil?
socalfootballfan

Postby Al Koholik » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:27 pm

While Coach Nicholls is a heck of a nice guy and sired one hell of a HSFB player, his dismissal is no surprise to many. He was unsucessful as a HC (Buena I believe) and dismissed from MD after only a couple years. Not quite ready for prime time.

Otherwise, Thomas is an egomaniacal megalomaniac (redundant?). What is the message to the players? They are not accountable? The coaches never take a snap nor attempt a tackle.
If a coach was qualified enough for TT to hire what is the issue now? What does that say about his vetting process?
TT doesn't know how to lose. Good quality as a competitor but very poor in the practical application of modern HS coaching.
In HSFB you don't jetison quality coaches that players embrace. Especially mid-season. TT is grasping at straws to deflect any accountability for what he see's as a lost season in the making.
A lot of faith in his kids huh?
Bizzare at best.
"A woman once drove me to drink and I never had the decency to thank her."
W.C. Fields
Al Koholik

Postby FriarJoe » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:33 pm

I would argue to the contrary. Coach Thomas is the ultimate authority in the football program and sometimes that requires that difficult decisions be made if he feels it is in the best interest of the program. He does not tolerate mediocrity nor does he tolerate anything that ultimately (in his opinion) will take away from the succcess of the program. Presidents have cabinet members removed...CEOs fire senior vice presidents...companies let go of employees who are not meeting expectations or who don't fit that particular company's goals all the time. TT is effectively the CEO of Servite's football program and he has been an excellent caretaker of that over the past several years. Yes he has let go of some decent coaches...so what...thats the cost of doing business and is simply part of the job anytime you run any organization. He hasn't bashed this coach or any other coach that I am aware of after letting them go.

Personally I am glad that he takes swift action when he thinks changes need to be made. I prefer that to playing the season out under less than ideal circumstances by keeping people around that he doesn't want. Make a move...stand by it and move on.
FriarJoe

Postby inflagrantedelicto » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:48 pm

FallStar wrote:
His younger son is a sophomore this year at Servite.

...interesting. is he not a coach at La Habra? or does he teach there?
Percussus Resurgo
inflagrantedelicto

Postby edac25 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:46 pm

I don't like the fact that Coach Mitchell was let go and as I've stated before, haven't been very pleased when other "good guys" have also either left the program or were asked to leave. As someone pointed out in an earlier post, the list of coaches who are no longer in the program is probably longer than most any other similar program. That being said, look at Servite's list of accomplishments since Troy Thomas has been leading the Friars. On the contrary, Bruce Rollinson at Mater Dei has had much more "stability" at key coaching positions and in fact his Offensive Coordinator has been at MD for as long as Rollo himself. What has that "stability" brought the Monarch Football Program in the past 7 years? Those same 7 years where Thomas is "changing coaches every year". If I'm Monarch Football Fan, I'm pretty sure I'd change my past 7 years for Servite Fan's last 7.

Scoreboard folks....Scoreboard. Thomas owns the Scoreboard.
edac25

Postby FallStar » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:47 am

inflagrantedelicto wrote:

...interesting. is he not a coach at La Habra? or does he teach there?

Teaches there. Used to coach there.
FallStar

Postby oldcoach » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:23 am

I have been a Friar fan for many years but I have never witnesses anything like Troy Thomas. Forget about wins, his teams have many. Forget about coaching, he knows his stuff. People skills, well that's another story. I don't know Coach Mitchell, never met him but he must have done a few things right. As for Coach Nicholls, I do know him and he is a prince of a man.

Since Troy's appointment as the head coach (which if you ask Pete Bowen how he was really chosen, would make you think twice) he has let go at least ten coaches a year and in some cases as many as fifteen. Basically, has cut loose 1/3 to 1/2 of his staff every year. Some have left for personal reasons, I get that, but most have been fired. This point has been brought up by many people, numerous times, to the president and the principal but getting another "W" seems to override everything. If the faculty at Servite had a turnover ratio of one third to fifty percent every year, would you think twice about sending your son to school there? Even though they are accredited with highest of awards, comparable to a California Distinguished School and 98% of the students go on to attempt college? Would you?

Every time it seems like Troy has things under control it seems like he goes out of his way to create or manufacture a conflict. Some might see it as a smoke screen or a diversion so that you are looking the other way and not focusing on the problem(s) at hand. The last one before firing Mitchell and Nicholls was the cut process for freshmen and a travel limit on the J.V. and Varsity programs. How in the world can you ask players to "buy" into your program, do everything you ask of them, practice every day and then get told you can't board the bus on game night.

Troy Thomas said there are four rules Servite football players need to know.
No. 1: Love your teammates.
"When you love somebody, you are willing to sacrifice and put them ahead of you."
I guess this doesn't include coaches.

No. 2: Do your job.
"You might be the guy that runs the scout team. That's important. You might be on the bench. Be
supportive. Everybody has to do their job on a team."
If you don't make the "55" then you can do this from the stands.

No. 3: Play as hard as you can.
"We talk about playing hard for 48 full minutes. That's what it takes to win."
For half of the team this only includes practice.

No. 4: Be physical when you get there.
"When you get to the point of contact be more physical than your opponent."
This includes shadow boxing and UFC.

Harry's offense, Harry's defense, Hary, Harry, Harry.
oldcoach

Postby Ramon » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:03 am

edac25 wrote:If I'm Monarch Football Fan, I'm pretty sure I'd change my past 7 years for Servite Fan's last 7.

[font=Arial]You would be wrong...Look at the success of MD players in NCAA...Rollinson has Thomas by a mile...This year alone there are THREE Captains in the Pac5...Not to mention a Servite player bailed for cash instead of finishing his studies at USC...While Barkley who had way more to lose came back...Just like Matt Leinart did...If all you care about is scoreboard then congrats...But to me it's more about learning important life lessons...And right now...TT is teaching the boys that if you have an issue with someone...You blow them out...Pretty sad...But hey...You always have scoreboard...Right?[/font]
Never Underestimate The Heart Of A Monarch
Ramon

Postby cruiser » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:51 am

Servite will only carry a maximum of 55 on varsity now?
cruiser

Postby edac25 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:09 am

I certainly don't agree with Thomas only taking 55 kids to game night. Every player on that team deserves to suit up, get on the bus and support their teammates from the sidelines. If a kid showed up to every practice and worked his ass off just like any of the starters on the team, I believe he has earned the right to put on that Servite uniform. My opinion.

Imagine if Mater Dei had that policy back in the early 90's....our buddy Ramon would have watched every game from the stands with the MD Band instead of cheering his brothers on the from the sideline. That would have been a crime.
edac25

Postby MDDad » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:19 am

cruiser wrote:Servite will only carry a maximum of 55 on varsity now?

I counted 68 Servite players at Colony High School last Friday night.
MDDad

Postby number9 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:20 am

edac25 wrote:I don't like the fact that Coach Mitchell was let go and as I've stated before, haven't been very pleased when other "good guys" have also either left the program or were asked to leave. As someone pointed out in an earlier post, the list of coaches who are no longer in the program is probably longer than most any other similar program. That being said, look at Servite's list of accomplishments since Troy Thomas has been leading the Friars. On the contrary, Bruce Rollinson at Mater Dei has had much more "stability" at key coaching positions and in fact his Offensive Coordinator has been at MD for as long as Rollo himself. What has that "stability" brought the Monarch Football Program in the past 7 years? Those same 7 years where Thomas is "changing coaches every year". If I'm Monarch Football Fan, I'm pretty sure I'd change my past 7 years for Servite Fan's last 7.

I will agree for the last 7 years you have been marginally more successful, but you can't claim a 7 year scoreboard over MD when you are 4 and 3 for those 7 years against them can you? Jmo
number9

Postby BoJack » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:14 am

I heard a Senior who has been in the program since his frosh year was having personal problems and missed practice Monday or Tuesday. The kid isn't a big contributor but he's been loyal to the school and program. On Tuesday, he met with TT to let him know what's going on and why he missed practice. TT proceeded to show him the door and said, "you're done". Sad.
"Beer is proof that God wanted us all to be happy"- Ben Franklin
BoJack

Postby SoMelo » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:24 am

I doubt it
SoMelo

Postby Haroof » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:31 am

BoJack wrote:I heard a Senior who has been in the program since his frosh year was having personal problems and missed practice Monday or Tuesday. The kid isn't a big contributor but he's been loyal to the school and program. On Tuesday, he met with TT to let him know what's going on and why he missed practice. TT proceeded to show him the door and said, "you're done". Sad.

I really hope that's not true.
Haroof

Postby RPW » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:46 am

BoJack wrote:I heard a Senior who has been in the program since his frosh year was having personal problems and missed practice Monday or Tuesday. The kid isn't a big contributor but he's been loyal to the school and program. On Tuesday, he met with TT to let him know what's going on and why he missed practice. TT proceeded to show him the door and said, "you're done". Sad.

You know he has done this in the past. Remember the injured varsity player who could not ride the bus during the playoff game and had to hope a ride with parents at the last min?
I am The Voice of Reason
RPW

Postby Ramon » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:09 pm

edac25 wrote:Imagine if Mater Dei had that policy back in the early 90's....our buddy Ramon would have watched every game from the stands with the MD Band instead of cheering his brothers on the from the sideline. That would have been a crime.

[font=Arial]For once we are in 100% agreeance...Rollo's life lessons still resonate with me to this date...God knows there were WAY more talented players than I...[/font]
Never Underestimate The Heart Of A Monarch
Ramon

Postby regularbob » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:44 pm

If this is true it just adds to the fact that, while even though he is 5'1" approx..I think he is one of the biggest POS's I have ever come across. He may be able to win some games but karma is a b*tch and someday very soon he will have to pay the piper.
Complex problems have simple, easy to understand, wrong answers

If you think education is expensive, try ignorance
regularbob

Postby SoMelo » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:10 pm

So the day one of the (sophomore) players mother passed away the coach cancelled practice for the entire day (yes, during hell week). They all took time off from practice to attend the vigil and funeral as well. Yet a kid was shown the door for having an excuse for missing practice? :eh?:
SoMelo

PreviousNext

Return to High School