Signing Day News ~ OC Recruits

Professor Fate

Re: Signing Day News ~ OC Recruits

Postby Professor Fate » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:07 pm

Omar Bongo wrote:Source of the post I'd rather talk about Signing Day News
Okay...After hanging 48 points on Mater Dei, Pat Haden and JK Mckay signed to play football for USC. \:D/

Well, obviously we have giant butterflies in CA. They's climbin' in your windows, They's snatchin' your people up, tryin' to steal 'em. So y'all need to hide your kids, hide your stars, and hide your coaches cause they're grabin' everybody out here.

cruiser

Postby cruiser » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:19 pm

Professor Fate wrote:Very interesting, Omar. And tell us how many yards they had that same year when they hung 48 points on Mater Dei? (48-16 ouch)

On a side note, who won the MD/Servite game that year,(1970)?

Professor Fate

Postby Professor Fate » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:40 pm

7-0 Mater Dei. Great defensive struggle. Back when the teams played with local Catholic boys, not out of county transfers, and every game was close, remember? All but one of the first 10 games were decided by 13 or less points. In fact 22 of the first 25 games were decided by 13 points or less, remember?
Well, obviously we have giant butterflies in CA. They's climbin' in your windows, They's snatchin' your people up, tryin' to steal 'em. So y'all need to hide your kids, hide your stars, and hide your coaches cause they're grabin' everybody out here.

cruiser

Postby cruiser » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:56 pm

Fate - You got me, man; the only thing I can distinctly remember off the top of my head
is the twenty years in a row, Servite could not beat MD.

Playthegame

Postby Playthegame » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:58 pm

But there was hope back then! Now...dinner and movie probably or Net Flix...

Playthegame

Postby Playthegame » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:00 pm

Omar Bongo wrote:Source of the post I'd rather talk about Signing Day News - OC Recruits...you know, the topic?

Guy should follow his own advice...

SK80

Postby SK80 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:34 am

"Guy should follow his own advice..." :notworthy:

SK80

Postby SK80 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:18 pm

Hope this makes the FRIAR FAITHFUL a little more proud....(*)

TRENT McDUFFIE receives offer from the WOLVERINES of MICHIGAN. {Likely a USC commit} Congrats =D>

https://247sports.com/college/michigan/ ... -113849912

McDuff.png

(*) Unless he transfers to MD for his Senior season! \:D/

SK80

Postby SK80 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:25 pm

Damn lets just make this GOOD NEWS FRIAR DAY! 'Jama comes knocking on the Friars door... OC Football looking good!

Servite Safety Julius Irvin has an impressive list of schools calling his name. It's believed his dream is still USC but when 'Jama calls people listen!

BamaIrvin.png
BamaIrvin.png (106.19 KiB) Viewed 849 times

SK80

Postby SK80 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:27 am

4-star DB, USC target Irvin announces commitment date

Four-star defensive back Julius Irvin announced on Sunday that he would be choosing between Washington, USC and Alabama in a few days.

IrvineOCC.png

"Four-star defensive back and major USC target Julius Irvin announced on Sunday that he would be choosing between Washington, USC and Alabama on Jan. 31st."

OK Friar Faithful who's it gonna be...!

Stay Tuned.... WEDNESDAY....!

Irvin2.png
Irvin2.png (36.62 KiB) Viewed 758 times

SK80

Postby SK80 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:34 am

Football recruiting: Santa Margarita’s John McCartan commits to Oregon State

More PAC-12 commits...... :thumbsup: https://www.ocregister.com/2018/01/30/f ... um=twitter

1021_spo_lpt-l-bosco-rc_-128_24729221_177176.jpg

SK80

Postby SK80 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:17 am

Congrats to another OC QB.... https://www.ocregister.com/2018/02/05/f ... um=twitter

Football recruiting: JSerra quarterback Matt Robinson commits to Illinois

1104_nws_ocr-l-hshuntley-05_24810585_1420991.jpg

FBOC

Postby FBOC » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:22 pm

MV Griffen to choose between Tennessee and USC. Took trips to Alabama Auburn and Florida St also.

NotDonaldBren

Postby NotDonaldBren » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:21 pm

As we near "traditional" signing day, I don't want to interrupt this thread's very important discussions about Amat/MD/Servite games 40 stinkin' years ago, but there's an interesting story developing with a local star recruit...

Mater Dei Army All American/All CIF OL and UCLA commit Chris Murray may not actually be able to sign with the Bruins on Wednesday during the Monarchs' ceremony as planned, and the reason is, well, interesting (to say the least)....

MOMMA AINT HAVING IT!

http://forum.hardcorehusky.com/discussi ... oi-to-ucla

NotDonaldBren

Postby NotDonaldBren » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:01 am

As Greg Biggins alluded to in reporting this story, this could be one of those parent SD/NLI situations that gets ugly. It basically already is. Supposedly Chris' dad will sign for him. Not uncommon -- one example I remember is current Baltimore Ravens RB Alex Collins' mom tripped out when he decided to sign with Arkansas instead of hometown Miami (FL) about 5 years ago, torpedoed his live ESPN announcement and literally took his NLI and ran away with it. His dad signed the next day, but his mom hired an attorney from the (Johnnie) Cochran firm to "represent the family's interests." You can't make this stuff up.

I hope it doesn't go down that road for Chris and family, he's a really good kid. For those tearing their garments and decrying the end of HS sports "as we know it," Murray is a 4 year MD Football Player (they do exist!). Mom is an Educational PhD, uncle was a RB at USC. High achieving student with finalists incl. Stanford and Notre Dame, worked himself from a 240 lb. freshman DL to a 300 lb. senior All American.

Word is Mom was DEAD SET on Chris heading to Palo Alto (um, who can blame her? -- parents with a plan beyond football, they do exist!). However, Chris' main recruiter at Stanford (Bloomgren, former OC) left for HC job at Rice, and Nerd Nation staff decided to focus on another OL at Chris' position from Texas (ironically ended up flipping that kid from UCLA).

One interesting part of this is that Chris and his mom were all smiles when he announced for UCLA last month at the Army game in Texas ...

Obviously Dr. Murray could have been (and likely was) putting on her best face for the biggest moment of her son's young life and the national TV audience on NBC, but damn, they really had me going. Again, I hope this all settles down smoothly and (not that I'm a UCLA fan/alum but) maybe Momma takes another look at that Anderson School of Business brochure?

NotDonaldBren

Postby NotDonaldBren » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:11 am

SK80 wrote:Source of the post Football recruiting: JSerra quarterback Matt Robinson commits to Illinois

Congrats indeed to Matt Rob! Kid has been a BALLER since the Santa Margarita Pop Warner days. I always felt he was under-recruited, especially when you see QBs that he's better than (Brevin White) getting offered by freaking Alabama. Montana has a great program and would have been a good fit, but Matt's got the arm, experience (3 year starter in Trinity, 2 time all- Lg), and leadership/FBI to succeed in the right Power 5 program. Illinois pulled a 2017 Boston College-Matt McDonald situation here, swooping in to get an undervalued OC QB talent with an offer at the last minute.

And good for Lovie Smith digging a little deeper than the surface. He's unlikely to be Matt's coach by his (potential) senior year there due to the dreadful state of disrepair that program has fallen into and the impatient nature of big money CFB these days, but I think Matt could have a successful career there and do some damage.

The one thing he always needed was size, and based on how big his brother was able to get between graduating from JSerra, going to Georgia then Saddleback JC and now Penn, I think Matt will probably put on 20-30 lbs easy in the next few years. He's already a legit 6'2". Might give me a reason to watch those awful 9AM B1G Network Purdue-Illinois broadcasts on fall Saturdays in a few years!

SK80

Postby SK80 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:41 am

LOL at reason to watch awful Big 10 games.... :lol: I agree puts a new twist is watching an Illini - Boilermaker game!

templar83

Postby templar83 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:56 am

[quote="SK80"]Hope this makes the FRIAR FAITHFUL a little more proud....(*)
TRENT McDUFFIE receives offer from the WOLVERINES of MICHIGAN.

And this should make the Bosco faithful happy as well....

St. John Bosco four-star athlete Trent McDuffie leapfrogs into the #Top247 after a big junior season, ranked No. 159 overall in latest release:

NotDonaldBren

Postby NotDonaldBren » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:29 pm

https://247sports.com/Article/10-big-Na ... -114459839

I'm hearing Mission's Olijah Griffin, the biggest national name among the uncommitted OC football recruits, is likely headed to SC. Interesting thing I heard today: OG really likes the idea of playing in the SEC at Tennessee or Bama, but wants to stay close to home -- partly because his pops Warren Griffin DOES NOT FLY.

I guess the Regulators have never mounted up on United Airlines!

Part of me would like to see how he does at an SEC program, especially Alabama. But it would be a great fit if OG does head to Trojan Land. First, he's an absolute DUDE as a corner or returner, and SC needs both right now. He and Amon-Ra would automatically upgrade their special teams. He is very reminiscent of Adoree Jackson at the same stage. And SC is losing 4 senior corners after next season, so the opportunity is there. I think we'll see OG in the League 4-5 years from now. Arguably the most TALENTED player in Diablo Football history. We'll see how it works out for him. Congrats to him and family on success so far!

NotDonaldBren

Postby NotDonaldBren » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:31 pm

templar83 wrote:Source of the post And this should make the Bosco faithful happy as well....

St. John Bosco four-star athlete Trent McDuffie leapfrogs into the #Top247 after a big junior season

I think Bosco fans will be really happy if he becomes the only DB on the team that can cover Bru McCoy ...

Return to “High School”