playoff basketball

Ramon

Re: playoff basketball

Postby Ramon » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:58 am

We've ignored him before...He comes back like psoriasis...He's our resident troll...

Never Underestimate The Heart Of A Monarch
2017 Trinity League, CIF-SS Division 1, CIF State Open Division and National Football Champions

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:26 am

I imagine Exocet picked his screen name from the real Exocet, which is an anti-ship missile. It must be because he views his comments as being particularly precise and explosive. However, the Exocet is built by the French, so it probably sometimes fails to lift off or end with an explosion, a sexual irony that is probably lost on our resident Diablo wit.

Given his one-note comments, I've always thought a more appropriate screen name would have been Exolax.

cruiser

Postby cruiser » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:40 am

frankieboy12 wrote:interesting that Santa Margarita is the only Trinity League school to turn out a max contract NBA Player (Klay Thompson)

True, but his father, a long time NBA player/BB talk show host/analyst had some good contacts for him and he has obviously produced when he got the chance. What's interesting is that when he was at
SM with some talented playmates,they never won a league championship. He was a good player
in college ( not highly touted) but stayed in school all four years,I believe and then entered the NBA. The rest is history!

WantTheNFLBack714

Postby WantTheNFLBack714 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:12 pm

pattywannamack wrote:The post MD life for the majority of the programs' players does raise some eyebrows but I would argue that no high school should focus on sending kids to the NBA.

All in all I am impressed with MD this season. As others have mentioned, they weren't supposed to do well...sure they lost the State Championship chance, but a CIF title is nothing to scoff at.

So far MD has won (4) CIF Championships (that I've kept up with) Boys Polo, Girls' Volleyball, Football, and Boys Basketball. Will be interesting to see if they can add a few more this year...if so this would likely be MD's best year ever in sports.

exactly, i'm still very shocked, and probably always will be, as to why Taylor King never made it to the NBA, why do you think he didn't? Also, a lot of high schools in California have sent more players to the NBA and they have actually lasted longer in the NBA than MD's Boys Basketball under Gary McKnight, even though they haven't even won a fraction of the amount of CIF section titles and state titles MD has in Boys Basketball.

Also, MD has that trend of players transferring a lot once they get to college, they transfer after 1 year at their original school of choice. So it makes you wonder if their playing experience at MD factored into that.

The few other players besides Stanley Johnson that have made it to the NBA that came from MD, they lasted very shortly, the most who ended up playing professional, they end up playing professional overseas.

watchersince68

Postby watchersince68 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:18 pm

Mater Dei plays very well as a team. It make some individual players look very good. They get to the next level
especially pros it is more an individual's game, one on one, and team players have trouble adjusting or maybe they just were not as good as they looked when they played with a team.

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:02 pm

...a lot of high schools in California have sent more players to the NBA and they have actually lasted longer in the NBA than MD's Boys Basketball under Gary McKnight...Also, MD has that trend of players transferring a lot once they get to college...it makes you wonder if their playing experience at MD factored into that...

What that tells me is when your all-time record is 1107-105 and you've won 23 CIF titles and 11 state championships, people have to really scrape the bottom of the barrel to find stuff to complain about...
"Victimhood is the high-octane fuel of the Trump Era, it makes the Trumpmobile go"
Steve Schmidt

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

Exocet 98

Postby Exocet 98 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:27 pm

"He's not fake...He's been on High School Message Boards since the early 2000's...He's involved with interior design /construction in Laguna Beach...He's always suppoted Mission Viejo...He mocked the death of an old poster named Nubster a few years back...Something about Mission Viejo Diablos making him taking a "dirt nap".... I'm all for fun banter...But this guy is an epic tosser of the 1st order...Ironically, he's a HUGE Trojan Supporter, and Mater Dei continues to reload USC year after year with talent...Yet he hates MD "

Congrats Clovis West :mrgreen:

BuckW

Postby BuckW » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:11 am

I read a recent article (Jan. 2018) that explained why Taylor King's basketball career crashed in college and Watchsince68 it had nothing to do with Mater Dei's style of play. As described in the article Taylor enjoyed partying a little too much. He also had some of the same problems as another former MD athlete Todd Marinovich. The article is titled "Taylor King Back from the Brink." Google it if you care to read it. According to the article Taylor is much better off now and is currently playing basketball in South America.

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:44 am

WantTheNFLBack714 wrote:Also, a lot of high schools in California have sent more players to the NBA and they have actually lasted longer in the NBA than MD's Boys Basketball under Gary McKnight...

Actually, that's not true. According to basketball-reference.com, these are the California high schools that have had the most players play in the NBA:

9 - Mater Dei
8 - Crenshaw
8 - Long Beach Poly
8 - McClymonds
7 - Compton
7 - Inglewood
6 - Artesia
6 - Dominguez
6 - Jefferson
6 - Verbum Dei
6 - Westchester

cruiser

Postby cruiser » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:06 pm

Wow, good trivia, MDDad; The reference does not equate if a player has played one day or ten years
in the NBA but has actually played in the NBA, be it may but in reality for stats, it all counts;
it is what it is..

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:50 pm

NFL714 is right in his assertion that Mater Dei players tend not to last long in the NBA. Of the nine that made it to the show, only Stanley Johnson, Reggie Geary and LeRon Ellis played the equivalent of one full year (i.e. 82 games) during their careers, and Jamal Sampson came close. Mater Dei players excel in high school because they are well-coached and play excellent team ball. They tend not to have the requisite athleticism for the NBA, which makes it all the more surprising they have won as many championships as they have.

joefutbol

Postby joefutbol » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:10 pm

I think the explanation is simpler than that. There are roughly 4 NFL and 3 MLB players for every NBA player. The odds of making it in the NBA are just significantly lower than the other major sports. I doubt the longevity of Mater Dei players who reach the NBA is any different than anywhere else.

Sweetness34

Postby Sweetness34 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:28 pm

Fairfax shot their wad against MD.. Because they could only muster 34 points in next round loss to Etiwanda 62-34.

watchersince68

Postby watchersince68 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:50 pm

BuckW wrote:I read a recent article (Jan. 2018) that explained why Taylor King's basketball career crashed in college and Watchsince68 it had nothing to do with Mater Dei's style of play. As described in the article Taylor enjoyed partying a little too much. He also had some of the same problems as another former MD athlete Todd Marinovich. The article is titled "Taylor King Back from the Brink." Google it if you care to read it. According to the article Taylor is much better off now and is currently playing basketball in South America.

Buck
I was not speaking only of Taylor King but MD players in general, however I was well aware of his plight.

There is a current Laker that is having a nice little run right now, how ever the long the stay is.

Lastly Fairfax losing to Etiwanda, how great is that coach now (previous post)

WantTheNFLBack714

Postby WantTheNFLBack714 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:48 pm

the only other high school boys basketball coach whose winning percentage comes close or comparable to Gary McKnight, is Bob Hurley of the now defunct school, St. Anthony, it closed down last year, kind of a cruel way of going out, cheated out of going out on top. Anyway, how much longer do you think Gary McKnight will keep coaching? because I know he has diabetes, but in a way, I don't blame him for lasting this long and continuing to coach, why bother retire when your program is on auto-pilot in terms of winning all the time. You think he will continue being the Head Coach into his 70's?

Ya I would say because of MD playing very well as a team under Gary McKnight, for those who have been following Gary McKnight and Mater Dei, would you say that's been their main trend, playing very well as a team, which makes some of their individual players look better than they actually are?

and why do you think once they get to college, they transfer a lot?

David Bagga, a former MD basketball player, even wrote a book about it I believe titled "The Walk On", he even mentioned on twitter in his own quotes "trust me, mcknight didn't help me get to UA, coach Olson saw something in me, taylor king = md bust" " and i never transferred because i was never pampered by mcknight like taylor king and mike gerrity. those guys got everything."

Bagga told ESPN, “Mater Dei guys transfer because of their egos and the combination that McKnight pampers the hell out of them and tells them how great they are when in actuality they need constructive criticism."

WantTheNFLBack714

Postby WantTheNFLBack714 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:52 pm

also, which public high school in California, has won the most CIF Section Titles and State Titles in Boys Basketball? MD under Gary McKnight is obviously the most decorated HS Boys Basketball Program in CA state history but they are a private school, which is the most decorated Boys Basketball program from a Public School in California?

I know that Brea Olinda, a public school, has won the most CIF section titles and state titles in Girls Basketball, so how about for the Boys? in regards to Public School.

Ramon

Postby Ramon » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:22 am

Crenshaw back in the day was a beast...That's the closest any public school has come to McKnight and Mater Dei's success
Never Underestimate The Heart Of A Monarch
2017 Trinity League, CIF-SS Division 1, CIF State Open Division and National Football Champions

WantTheNFLBack714

Postby WantTheNFLBack714 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:16 pm

I believe Crenshaw has won 8 State Championships in Boys Basketball, MD has won 11, so I would imagine they have won the most CIF section titles in Boys Basketball for a public school? how many?

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:48 pm

Those are difficult questions to answer.

Yes, Mater Dei has won 11 state championships, but three of those were in Division 2. If you count only titles won in the top division, Mater Dei has eight, Crenshaw has eight, and Westchester has six.

Section titles are almost impossible to tabulate. The Southern Section has had hundreds of section champions since 1911 because of they have so many divisions, and the L.A. City Section, where most of the state's top programs have come from, doesn't appear to have such records available in print or online.

longtimeobserver

Postby longtimeobserver » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:42 am

There were a few years when a school COULD NOT MOVE classification and therefore MD was
forced to play Div2. Those years MD could have won Div 1 but was restricted to play Div 2.
When a school had a choice to declare if they wanted to move up MD always moved up to the
top division.

Return to “High School”