Servite Troy Thomas to coach both Frosh and Varsity 2010

Servite Troy Thomas to coach both Frosh and Varsity 2010

Postby uclatime » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:56 pm

Well fresh off a state victory coach Thomas has taken over the frosh team this coming year. Coach Jaco the frosh football coach for the last 15 years was forced to resign. Coach Thomas informed coach Jaco that he wanted to coach the frosh also, coach Jako declined and resigned. All 8 frosh coaches have left the program. Coach Thomas has the new format in his office for all to see. He will coach the frosh from 3:00pm to 5:00pm, with 3 coaches, and then coach the varsity from 5:00pm to 7:00pm. Only 50 of the best frosh will suit up for Thursday games. Coach Thomas said all other players will play in the reserve game on Sat.

Wow this takes Micro management to a new level.

Question for the board. Servite has over 100 frosh football players every year. Should the guys that can't suit up on Thursdays have to pay the $500.00 fee for football? Or will alot of kids not sign up for the sport? Is this good for the program or not?
uclatime
 
Posts: 120
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:49 am

Re: Servite Troy Thomas to coach both Frosh and Varsity 2010

Postby SoMelo » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:37 pm

[font=Comic Sans MS]Coaching golf makes Jako very happy... coaching freshman football, not so much[/font]
User avatar
SoMelo
 
Posts: 12368
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:51 pm
Location: It's Always Sunny in Southern California

Re: Servite Troy Thomas to coach both Frosh and Varsity 2010

Postby Fade Adams » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:02 pm

It was part of the $150k he received.
Fade Adams
 
Posts: 291
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:11 am

Re: Servite Troy Thomas to coach both Frosh and Varsity 2010

Postby flagrantlyfoul » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:40 pm

...IMHO, unless Thomas decides to start running the same system at the frosh level as he does on the varsity, then what's the point? is his ego such that he's gotta have his finger in every pie? other than his season, jako has run a pretty successful frosh program over the past 5-6 years. he wasn't the most beloved coach - especially by those who worked their asses off all week and never sniffed the field - but his teams got the job done. my son enjoyed his frosh year and is part of a pretty darned good class of 2011 that will keep next year's squad well-equipped with talent.
"A live, freshly-cut nerve is infinitely more sensitive." - Christian Szell
Image
User avatar
flagrantlyfoul
 
Posts: 1115
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:09 pm

Re: Servite Troy Thomas to coach both Frosh and Varsity 2010

Postby black attack » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:44 pm

This is a great thing for the program. Thomas gets to run the show now which will get the freshmen ready for when they do get to the Varsity. You will now see the "best" of the freshman class. I think it's time for Jako to give it up. The only reason he won games is because he had talent not that he could coach.
black attack
 
Posts: 201
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:25 pm

Re: Servite Troy Thomas to coach both Frosh and Varsity 2010

Postby SoMelo » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:56 pm

black attack wrote:This is a great thing for the program. Thomas gets to run the show now which will get the freshmen ready for when they do get to the Varsity. You will now see the "best" of the freshman class. I think it's time for Jako to give it up. The only reason he won games is because he had talent not that he could coach.

[font=Comic Sans MS]But he could sure yell... man could he yell. Once he was on the baseball field with the frosh team and I could hear him yelling all the way to the Athletic office... bless his heart[/font]
User avatar
SoMelo
 
Posts: 12368
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:51 pm
Location: It's Always Sunny in Southern California

Re: Servite Troy Thomas to coach both Frosh and Varsity 2010

Postby uclatime » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:03 pm

black attack wrote:This is a great thing for the program. Thomas gets to run the show now which will get the freshmen ready for when they do get to the Varsity. You will now see the "best" of the freshman class. I think it's time for Jako to give it up. The only reason he won games is because he had talent not that he could coach.


What a dumba$$ How do you think Thomas won? How much time can he really give the frosh?
uclatime
 
Posts: 120
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:49 am

Re: Servite Troy Thomas to coach both Frosh and Varsity 2010

Postby black attack » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:13 pm

uclatime wrote:[/b]

What a dumba$$ How do you think Thomas won? How much time can he really give the frosh?


What part of he had talent don't you understand? When you combine Coach Thomas' coaching and talent it makes a winning combination.
black attack
 
Posts: 201
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:25 pm

Re: Servite Troy Thomas to coach both Frosh and Varsity 2010

Postby Grinder » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:14 pm

Coach Jako has been wanting to step down for several years. In fact he did sit out a season a few years back but was talked into coming back. If I had a freshman coming in I would be psyched if Thomas was the coach...he has limitless energy and the kids will be getting great coaching. I don't think there are too many freshman coaches that could match up to Troy Thomas. The benefits of him being able to install his system and style of play that early will also pay dividends by the time the freshmen are juniors and seniors. If true, I think it's a good move.
Grinder
 
Posts: 742
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:51 pm

Re: Servite Troy Thomas to coach both Frosh and Varsity 2010

Postby RoadRunner » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:15 pm

black attack wrote:
What part of he had talent don't you understand? When you combine Coach Thomas' coaching and talent it makes a winning combination.
User avatar
RoadRunner
 
Posts: 7638
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:36 pm

Re: Servite Troy Thomas to coach both Frosh and Varsity 2010

Postby WileyWolverine » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:19 pm

uclatime wrote:Well fresh off a state victory coach Thomas has taken over the frosh team this coming year. Coach Jaco the frosh football coach for the last 15 years was forced to resign. Coach Thomas informed coach Jaco that he wanted to coach the frosh also, coach Jako declined and resigned. All 8 frosh coaches have left the program. Coach Thomas has the new format in his office for all to see. He will coach the frosh from 3:00pm to 5:00pm, with 3 coaches, and then coach the varsity from 5:00pm to 7:00pm. Only 50 of the best frosh will suit up for Thursday games. Coach Thomas said all other players will play in the reserve game on Sat.

Wow this takes Micro management to a new level.

Question for the board. Servite has over 100 frosh football players every year. Should the guys that can't suit up on Thursdays have to pay the $500.00 fee for football? Or will alot of kids not sign up for the sport? Is this good for the program or not?
Most programs have Frosh A and B teams. What difference does it make if your games are on Thursday or Saturday.

With a 100 freshman players Coach Thomas could actually schedule Frosh A, B & C games to weed out the non-contact players and provide more game time for the more seasoned players. Unfortunately, it sounds like this would be near impossible since it appears his new remuneration package has added sizable weight to the entire football program budget.

With this change and subsequent demanding schedule no doubt it will place a sizable strain on coaches, players, parents and administrators. Change is tough on everyone but I'm sure Coach Thomas has plans that will provide Servite administration the expected return on investment.
[center]Defense Wins Championships... Offense Provides The Opportunity... WW[/center]

[center]GO LAKERS[/center]
User avatar
WileyWolverine
 
Posts: 3071
Joined: Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:45 am
Location: In The Wild

Re: Servite Troy Thomas to coach both Frosh and Varsity 2010

Postby RandyF59 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:34 pm

flagrantlyfoul wrote:. then what's the point? is his ego such that he's gotta have his finger in every pie?

ya think? #-o
RandyF59
 
Posts: 811
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:52 am

Re: Servite Troy Thomas to coach both Frosh and Varsity 2010

Postby uclatime » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:19 pm

Grinder wrote:Coach Jako has been wanting to step down for several years. In fact he did sit out a season a few years back but was talked into coming back. If I had a freshman coming in I would be psyched if Thomas was the coach...he has limitless energy and the kids will be getting great coaching. I don't think there are too many freshman coaches that could match up to Troy Thomas. The benefits of him being able to install his system and style of play that early will also pay dividends by the time the freshmen are juniors and seniors. If true, I think it's a good move.


I think he will spread himself and his coaches to thin. Most varsity coaches have practice on thursday what will Thomas do on frosh game day?
uclatime
 
Posts: 120
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:49 am

Re: Servite Troy Thomas to coach both Frosh and Varsity 2010

Postby SoMelo » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:23 pm

uclatime wrote:
I think he will spread himself and his coaches to thin. Most varsity coaches have practice on thursday what will Thomas do on frosh game day?

[font=Comic Sans MS]Don't the freshman games start around 3PM? --:-- [/font]
User avatar
SoMelo
 
Posts: 12368
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:51 pm
Location: It's Always Sunny in Southern California

Re: Servite Troy Thomas to coach both Frosh and Varsity 2010

Postby HowIroll » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:27 pm

uclatime wrote:
I think he will spread himself and his coaches to thin. Most varsity coaches have practice on thursday what will Thomas do on frosh game day?


Jako went through the motions last year. Both He and Coach Morris missed several summer practices due to golf tourney's. Jako didn't even show up for the reserve games.
Thursday's are walk thru's for the varsity. They usually end up watching whoever is playing that particular day.
Fear The Bone!
HowIroll
 
Posts: 595
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:04 pm

Re: Servite Troy Thomas to coach both Frosh and Varsity 2010

Postby Grinder » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:33 pm

uclatime wrote:
I think he will spread himself and his coaches to thin. Most varsity coaches have practice on thursday what will Thomas do on frosh game day?


The varsity has to wait for the frosh game to end to start practice anyway. Away games could be a bit of a challenge, but Thursday practices are light and I think do-able if they push the start time back some and have assistants start the warm-ups. Freshman coaching in any sport can be inconsistent at best, having a guy who just won a state championship coach my 14 year old freshman would be an appealing proposition.
Grinder
 
Posts: 742
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:51 pm

Re: Servite Troy Thomas to coach both Frosh and Varsity 2010

Postby black attack » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:21 pm

If any of you went to a Servite practice last year, you would have noticed a man named Foxx Jantz there. He pretty much organized the beginning of practice and facilitated walk-thru's on thursdays. Whether Coach Thomas is there or not will not stop the varsity team from practicing.
black attack
 
Posts: 201
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:25 pm

Re: Servite Troy Thomas to coach both Frosh and Varsity 2010

Postby formerlyacub » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:25 pm

wow, what a horrible idea. I guess I'll scratch Servite off my list of top teams for 2010.
formerlyacub
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:18 pm

Re: Servite Troy Thomas to coach both Frosh and Varsity 2010

Postby ExRep » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:32 pm

Fade Adams wrote:It was part of the $150k he received.


Thomas never received $150K........in fact I understand the whole Crespi "offer" was a fabrication designed to leverage negotiations with Servite.

Coach Jako's departure is not a "forced resignation"........he has never been comfortable with Thomas' coaching and personal management style and his leaving is his choice...one made with a deep sadness. Jako has stayed on as Freshman coach the last several years in an effort to instill Servite values to the program and because he loved coaching. It is true that the rest of the Freshman coaching staff is not returning......ask them why. And don't pin this last season's record as just cause for their departure. Most of these guys have devoted many hours of their lives coaching winning seasons with Jako over the last several years.

And what makes anyone think that Thomas is going to be "there" for the freshmen like a fulltime coach. He will pass on that responsibility to others while maintaining a token presence. Will Fox Jantz have anything to do with that handoff? That will be a controversial development.

I wish Thomas luck and the wherewithall to competently handle the huge responsibility he is taking on.
It makes sense to have continuity throughout a program....we'll see.

Ex
"H'aint we got all the fools in town on our side? That's a big enough majority in any town."......Sen. Ted Cruz
ExRep
 
Posts: 999
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:07 pm

Re: Servite Troy Thomas to coach both Frosh and Varsity 2010

Postby ExRep » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:41 pm

black attack wrote:If any of you went to a Servite practice last year, you would have noticed a man named Foxx Jantz there. He pretty much organized the beginning of practice and facilitated walk-thru's on thursdays. Whether Coach Thomas is there or not will not stop the varsity team from practicing.


Black Attack...

Tell me more about Fox...How did he "pretty much organize the beginning of practice and facilitate walk-thru's" on Thursdays? Was this in lieu of the other varsity coaches? Exactly what role does Jantz play within the coaching staff. He seems a very nice and sincere man, and Thomas has described him as a personal mentor. Will he be on the coaching staff in some official way this season?

I'm curious. :eh?:

Ex
"H'aint we got all the fools in town on our side? That's a big enough majority in any town."......Sen. Ted Cruz
ExRep
 
Posts: 999
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:07 pm
Next



Return to High School

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BigBosco, Bing [Bot], kingspeed and 8 guests



User Control Panel

Who is online

In total there are 12 users online :: 3 registered, 1 hidden and 8 guests (based on users active over the past 10 minutes)
Most users ever online was 301 on Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:22 am

Users browsing this forum: BigBosco, Bing [Bot], kingspeed and 8 guests