Trabuco Hills New Coach

Re: Trabuco Hills New Coach

Postby ChargerMike » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:08 pm

O'Shea should have stepped up and taken the job. In my opinion, one of the issues right now at Trabuco is FEAR. They are going into the "super" conference next year and they felt they had earned the right to compete there...and now what do they have? I think Negro did one of the best jobs in Orange County over the last 5 years. He stepped into a position as a relative unknown and unproven young coach and built a strong program the right way. He had a dedicated coaching staff that the kids liked and worked hard for. The program really developed a swagger the last couple of years and I think there was HUGE disappointment when Negro left...especially considering the move next year. I think if O'Shea had stepped up and said I want to LEAD this program...they would be in a much better place. The kids and coaches would have rallied. Instead the boys have watched the three biggest personalities (Negro brothers and Chad) leave after a great season and I don't know if this hire will fill the gap. I think this whole process showed weak leadership in many areas. Maybe Collins could have been more persuasive selling the job to O'Shea. I hope the new coach can save what Negro and company had built for the sake of the boys.
ChargerMike

Postby socalfootballfan » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:25 pm

You can bet there are two coaches who are loving watching this whole thing go down at Trabuco

bob johnson
harry welch
socalfootballfan

Postby WileyWolverine » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:25 pm

Last edited by WileyWolverine on Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
[center]Defense Wins Championships... Offense Provides The Opportunity... WW[/center]

[center]GO LAKERS[/center]
WileyWolverine

Postby thebull » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:26 pm

socalfootballfan wrote:You can bet there are two coaches who are loving watching this whole thing go down at Trabuco

bob johnson
harry welch

And El Toro right down the street isnt? \:D/
thebull

Postby ChargerMike » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:33 pm

Dr. Mucerino looks like a genius right now. He calmly and professionally made a hire that looks like it was a great fit for El Toro.
ChargerMike

Postby BoscoBandWagon » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:59 pm

Any chance O'Shea would be coming to SJB now? He's a odd stack guy and Orloff is a even guy. I am sure O'Shea is kicking himself for not taking the job after Jason left.

But Trabuco's pain is our gain. :thumbsup:
BoscoBandWagon

Postby OCFB » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:58 am

This gets more confusing everyday. Has there been an official announcement on the Trabuco job? If its Orloff, I heard Meyer, O'shea and Hettig will all end up at Bosco.
OCFB

Postby TommyTrojan » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:13 am

BoscoBandWagon wrote:Any chance O'Shea would be coming to SJB now? He's a odd stack guy and Orloff is a even guy. I am sure O'Shea is kicking himself for not taking the job after Jason left.

O'Shea is not an odd stack guy. He runs it because he has been asked to by Negro, he would rather be a 4-3 guy.

THe word I had yesterday was that Trabuco had not named a coach and that the district had not approved anyone (as of yesterday's meetings). Trabuco parents and players may have wanted Nolan, but I think it would have been a disaster for TH. Jimmy is favorite of the kids because he acts like one of them. WHile that might sound nice, it really isn't the role of a HC to be an 18 year old. Jimmy is a guy who got in trouble for recruiting kids to Laguna Beach while he was there, which certainly would help put him on even footing with Bob Johnson, would not have gone over well. He is also a guy who wasn't much into the weightroom for his kids, and the lack of leg strength was less an issue at LB than it would have been in the South Coast League.

One of the reasons I am shocked to hear any outside the district names (other than a walk-on like Nolan) has to do with the district's inability to hire someone from outside while there are people who have been let go the past few years and who are on a "waiting list" (for lack of a better term) to be rehired when positions become available. Orloff has some teaching years in the district so that might count for seniority, but my understanding is that if there is a qualified candidate for a position who is on that waiting list, they have priority for a job opening. With the number of people who have been laid off the past 3 years, it would seem unlikely to me that a position could be found for someone outside the district, especially when you have to find a position in the area that they could teach. Orloff can teach PE and English. You can't bring him on board unless you have an opening in either area. Meyer is a history teacher. Trabuco has no room for a history teacher at this point.
TommyTrojan

Postby Tribal » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:23 am

BoscoBandWagon wrote:Any chance O'Shea would be coming to SJB now? He's a odd stack guy and Orloff is a even guy. I am sure O'Shea is kicking himself for not taking the job after Jason left.

I thought I heard the Chris King (DC at El Dorado for their back to back CIF wins) was going to be the DC at SJB.
Tribal

Postby OCFB » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:37 am

Why would the district ever post the job if they can't hire outside the district? I thought Chad Johnson was leaving Trabuco to go to SJB. That would open up the social studies side of it. Are there PE or English teachers leaving too?
OCFB

Postby Parrotpaul » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:38 pm

OCFB wrote:Why would the district ever post the job if they can't hire outside the district? I thought Chad Johnson was leaving Trabuco to go to SJB. That would open up the social studies side of it. Are there PE or English teachers leaving too?

I believe all available jobs must be posted by law. If there are teachers leaving there is the distinct possibility those positions won't be filled because of the budget problems, and there are some very serious budget problems.
"Where ignorance is bliss, 'tis folly to be wise." Thomas Gray
Parrotpaul

Postby warriorpower » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:10 pm

All jobs must be posted but those posts can limit applicants to in-district applicants only, as was the case in most other head coaching searches this year due to budget issues.
warriorpower

Postby what? » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:21 pm

Those of you who are bashing Orloff you people obviously don't know what you're talking about. In Orloff's 2nd year at Dana, the only team they lost to that season in league was Mater Dei, who I think was the number one team in the nation in 1997. I know because my son played for him. Orloff was named the South All Star Head Coach I think in 2000 the same year his Dana team almost upset Downey H.S. who was the number one team in division 2 that season. Before Dana, he won the league championship at Santa Ana Valley in only his 3rd year. Since Dana Hills, Orloff has been a successful defensive coordinator at Orange Coast College. Speaking of Dana Hills, their resurgence these past two years are left overs from Orloff''s staff-Melbon and Donnelly.

If Trabuco hires Orloff, their program just got a lot better. If I remember correctly, Negro did an awful job when they played in the South Coast League under his guidance. Anway, good luck Tabuco Hills!
what?

Postby X's_&_O's » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:15 pm

Good luck to Orloff and Trabuco hills in the future. They will be in for a surprise as Orloff will bring a hard nose in your face style.

I just heard that his OC will be Aliso's Former OC Garrett Gray. Garrett brings a lot of passion and will run an offense very similar to Tesoro's.

Speaking of Garrett Gray.... he was fired from Tesoro two years ago he sat in Brian Barnes office crying and begging to stay on. Brian felt bad and he was allowed to finish the season Coaching JV. He then was forced upon Veeder at Aliso last year after the booster and the admin wanted a "Wide Open" offense (Funny thing was Orloff was part of those parents). He wore out his welcome there and now gets to take over a great group of kids at Trabuco.

Personally, I think this is a huge mistake for Orloff to bring in a kid with little expierence and questionable knowledge of the game. This a huge step down in coaching from the previous regime. I know SCL coaches are loving this!!!
X's_&_O's

Postby Parrotpaul » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:23 am

ChargerMike wrote:From my understanding Chad has been teaching at the school for over 5 years, however Saddleback has this strange way of making teachers permanent. He was being hired on temporary contract each year. If he had tenure and his years had counted to his seniority he wouldn't have left. At least, this is how one of the assistants explained it to me. Negro leaves at lunch every day to head over to SJB.
Chad does have a permanent position with tenure at THHS. He has nine years at THHS. I would think he would take a leave of absence for a year to see how it goes before cashing in all his chips.

I wish him the best of luck at Bosco.
Parrotpaul

Postby ChargerMike » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:04 pm

From the desk of Steve Fryer...

Taking a look around Orange County high school sports:

The Trabuco Hills football coaching position is down to two final candidates, both with plentiful head coaching experience. But, according to Trabuco principal Craig Collins, the school needs to find out what teaching positions will be available after budget cuts are made, and which positions survive will determine which coach is hired. Aliso Niguel still has not completed its process in its search for a football coach.
ChargerMike

Postby M&M » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:25 pm

when are they going to make it official?
M&M

Postby Parrotpaul » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:26 pm

M&M wrote:when are they going to make it official?

I believe the administration has told people they have given it to the attorneys to sort out.....dumbest thing to tell anyone. To date there have been no indications there will be positions in classrooms at THHS....the negotiation for next year's contract is at impasse, and no one will know until the money thing and the available positions become known.
Parrotpaul

Postby sjbbrave » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:59 am

Tribal wrote:
I thought I heard the Chris King (DC at El Dorado for their back to back CIF wins) was going to be the DC at SJB.

He is! He's been at Bosco every day.
sjbbrave

Postby Bollweevil » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:19 pm

what? wrote:Those of you who are bashing Orloff you people obviously don't know what you're talking about. In Orloff's 2nd year at Dana, the only team they lost to that season in league was Mater Dei, who I think was the number one team in the nation in 1997. I know because my son played for him. Orloff was named the South All Star Head Coach I think in 2000 the same year his Dana team almost upset Downey H.S. who was the number one team in division 2 that season. Before Dana, he won the league championship at Santa Ana Valley in only his 3rd year. Since Dana Hills, Orloff has been a successful defensive coordinator at Orange Coast College. Speaking of Dana Hills, their resurgence these past two years are left overs from Orloff''s staff-Melbon and Donnelly.

If Trabuco hires Orloff, their program just got a lot better. If I remember correctly, Negro did an awful job when they played in the South Coast League under his guidance. Anway, good luck Tabuco Hills!

Negro finished 2nd in the south coast league the last year TH was in the league. They beat SC in the final minute.
Bollweevil

PreviousNext

Return to High School