Study: California once had 150 straight years of stormy, wet, weather

Space, the environment, new discoveries and new uses for old ones
MDDad

Re: Study: California once had 150 straight years of stormy, wet, weather

Postby MDDad » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:28 pm

ShiftyMutt wrote:I thought the large majority of scientists and extensive research has already proven this? We seem to be breaking records every year.

First, in geological terms, we have actual temperature measurements over only a very short sliver of time. The rest are projections, calculations, algorithms and models. It's a little like looking at a thermometer at 2:00 PM when it reads 75 degrees, and looking again at 2:05 PM when it's 75.2 degrees, and becoming hysterical because the temperature is rising.

Second, I think it's important to know how much of the current temperature changes are caused by our industrial activity rather than normal solar activity or random variations. We know it's somewhere between 0% and 100%. If it's at the high end, we have an immediate problem. If it's at the low end, we have a thousand higher priorities that require our time, energy and resources first. Until we know the answer (and to the best of my knowledge, we don't), it makes no sense to predict the imminent end of the world, or insist we're at "the tipping point", and call for massive reallocations of wealth and resources to combat a problem that may not be under our control.

Fordama

Postby Fordama » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:53 pm

kramer wrote:You quoted me writing "Climate change isn't happening" and implied I've said it over and over again.

Now you conveniently forget even some of your most recent threads.

Convenient.
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

ShiftyMutt

Postby ShiftyMutt » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:33 am

MD, I realize this is a little different from climate change, but do you remember when we had smog alerts? We don't have them anymore because we, as humans, realized what created it and worked for decades to change it. Still in the process but the air is far better than it was despite the addition of millions more people. I see climate change as the same scenario. We've already seen what damage a small (10 year) drought can cause, and apparently in other countries, drought is creating much larger issues.

Lets imagine if California had 150 years of drought. Do any of us pions really know? I'm not a scientist but I put my faith in the large majority of the scientific community when they say it's real.

kramer

Postby kramer » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:58 am

ShiftyMutt, you wrote: "We've already seen what damage a small (10 year) drought can cause, and apparently in other countries, drought is creating much larger issues.

Lets imagine if California had 150 years of drought. Do any of us pions really know? I'm not a scientist but I put my faith in the large majority of the scientific community when they say it's real."

ShiftyMutt, California already had a 200 year drought very recently (in geological terms) and it wasn't caused by white males driving their SUVs to Klan meetings:
Picture source:
http://www.mercurynews.com/2014/01/25/c ... tists-say/

This ties in perfectly with the OP of this thead.

Drought has always been occurring in other countries. Why does your "faith" make you believe green clerics scientists whey they say or imply that these droughts that are occurring today are the fault of capitalism, Christianity, conservatism, RNC, Rush Limbaugh, and white males our fault?

Have you noticed my signature?
“We should have been warned by the CFC/ozone affair because the corruption of science in that was so bad that something like 80% of the measurements being made during that time were either faked, or incompetently done.”

- Scientist James Lovelock

kramer

Postby kramer » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:00 pm

Fordama wrote:Now you conveniently forget even some of your most recent threads.

Convenient.

More convenient is that you won't take the time to quote these comments of mine where I forgot them.
“We should have been warned by the CFC/ozone affair because the corruption of science in that was so bad that something like 80% of the measurements being made during that time were either faked, or incompetently done.”

Fordama

Postby Fordama » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:47 pm

Nope, not worth the time, Mr. These-Studies-Show-No--Warming.
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

kramer

Postby kramer » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:53 am

That's because you can't back up what you said.

kramer

Postby kramer » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:56 am

No comment yet from ShiftyMutt on the graph of the recent CA drought that lasted almost 200 years. Nor has Fordama chimed in on it saying I mis-undstood what the graph shows or don't understand the carbon cycle.

Hmmm, why could that be?...

Probably because the information I post threatens their world view.

Return to “Science and Technology”