CO2-Temperature history of Earth shows virtually zero correlation.

Space, the environment, new discoveries and new uses for old ones
kramer

CO2-Temperature history of Earth shows virtually zero correlation.

Postby kramer » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:41 pm

This is not the first graph or link I've posted here that shows hundreds of millions of years or more of no correlation between the 'control knob' (CO2, aka plant and tree food) and temperature.

source

On a much smaller timescale, temperatures about 115K years ago we're the same as than today but CO2 levels back then were much much lower than today.
locally sourced

From these two sources, there is zero evidence that CO2 is the earth's temperature 'control knob'.

“We should have been warned by the CFC/ozone affair because the corruption of science in that was so bad that something like 80% of the measurements being made during that time were either faked, or incompetently done.”

- Scientist James Lovelock

Fordama

Re: CO2-Temperature history of Earth shows virtually zero correlation.

Postby Fordama » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:41 pm

Yeah, all those chemists and physicists are just crazy, what with all their theories about "molecules" and "radiation" jibber jabber.

You know I went and watch Blade Runner2049. I used to tire of dystopian-future science fiction. I always figured that humans weren't as blindly obstinate as they are portrayed in the movies. But here in the United States, after over a quarter of a century of warnings by scientists, I watch people cling desperately to their politics over the science. It really makes those dystopian futures look far more likely than they used to to me.
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

kramer

Postby kramer » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:25 am

Yet there it is, right in front of you. Zero correlation between CO2 and temperature over hundreds of millions of years.

Like I've said, I believe CO2 is a weak GHG.
“We should have been warned by the CFC/ozone affair because the corruption of science in that was so bad that something like 80% of the measurements being made during that time were either faked, or incompetently done.”

Fordama

Postby Fordama » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:37 am

No, it isn't. Your giant straw man argument about scientists claiming that CO2 is the only factor in the history of the Earth to affect climate is the only thing staring at me.
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

kramer

Postby kramer » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:48 pm

From NASA:
CO2: The Thermostat that Controls Earth's Temperature
https://www.giss.nasa.gov/research/briefs/lacis_01/

The data in the OP that I posted don't back up this claim.

Fordama

Postby Fordama » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:50 am

I understand why you are confused about the science. Science is hard.

But not knowing the difference between "a" and "the" just isn't very excusable.

kramer

Postby kramer » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:24 pm

The title is from the NASA article. You missed it. Here it is again with some visual assistance.

"The Thermostat that Controls Earth's Temperature"

Fordama

Postby Fordama » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:25 pm

Oh, the science is in the title--who knew? And here I am wasting my time actually reading the article!

kramer

Postby kramer » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:13 am

You really read it? Hmmm...
"The bottom line is that atmospheric carbon dioxide acts as a thermostat in regulating the temperature of Earth."

This 'thermostat" isn;t evident in the above graph that spans hundreds of millions of years. We don't see it'd in Antarctica ice core data of CO2 vs temp. 115K years ago, the earth was warmer when CO2 levels were around 280 ppm.

Return to “Science and Technology”