Dodger bandwagon now accepting Angel fan

Re: Dodger bandwagon now accepting Angel fan

Postby GOODave » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:02 am

O.K., I'm surrounded (now) by Cardinals fans coming out of the woodwork but I can't really see myself rooting for a National League team.

OTOH, LaRussa just packed it in so if the Cardinals (or maybe the White Sox ... naw, they already got someone) could replace him with Mike Scoscia, I might be persuaded...
GOODave

Postby ~44~ » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:47 pm

from the times:

Forbes estimates the team is worth $800 million, though filings by McCourt claim the team is worth more than a billion. Chump change for those of us with team pockets.

Here’s an overview of potential buyers:

-- The Dilbeck Investment Group: The people’s favorite. To my 2006 Accord, two banana-yellow refurbished Schwinn 10-speeds and my mother’s reverse mortgage, add my kids’ booming lemonade stand and I don’t see how we’re stopped.

-- Steve Garvey (future HOF): Yeah, he has an investment group too. Never has said who’s actually in it, other than Orel Hershiser. Garvey was fired by McCourt for continually talking about buying the team while in the employ of McCourt. I’m thinking not.

-- Larry King: A Dodgers fan from his Brooklyn days. Thinking he knows enough people. Also, I understand he has some free time on his hands these days.

-- Mark Cuban: Owner of the NBA champion Dallas Mavericks and a bunch of Internet-type companies I don’t understand. I do understand he’s now a proven winner. He’s also controversial, so you have to wonder if Commissioner Bud Selig would ever approve him. Said he's not going to pay $1.2 billion.

-- Dennis Gilbert: Once the king for sports agents, now a White Sox executive and big-time insurance salesman. A Los Angeles native and former minor league player, he’s a major Dodgers fan. He’s the guy sitting right behind home plate every game. Doesn’t own an Accord, though.

-- Ron Burkle: I’m always partial to former box boys. He has the moola, is part owner of the Pittsburgh Penguins and is also a Southern California native, but he’s more private than Garbo, and we already have a guy like that who owns the Kings. Apparently not with Garvey group.

-- Eli Broad: He could add some nifty art around Dodger Stadium. The Dodgers are a civic treasure. History, however, says he won’t feign any interest until it’s too late.

-- Time Warner: As The Times’ Bill Shaikin noted, why spend more than $3 billion for media rights when the team can be had for a fraction of that? Although if memory serves, the Dodgers have already been down this cable-ownership road.

-- Alan Casden: The apartment developer was briefly a player back in 2003. Wanted to raze Dodger Stadium and build a new ballpark near Staples Center. Something about that idea appealed to Tim Leiweke.

-- Alec Gores: Made his fortune in leveraged buyouts. Has not been seen at Occupy L.A. His brother owns the Detroit Pistons.

-- Current MLB owners Mark Attanasio (Brewers) and Tom Werner (Red Sox), who both live in L.A. Would require some kind of franchise swap. Think Carroll Rosenbloom and the Rams, hopefully minus the ocean swim.

-- Chinese mafia: No, not really. Anyway, I don’t think so. There was an unsolicited bid with Chinese financing back in September that supposedly offered McCourt $1.2 billion. Thinking he likes that number.

-- Peter O’Malley: For the nostalgic out there. Called for McCourt to sell the team more than a year ago. Said he wasn’t interested in returning as owner, but then he sold them for only $311 million in 1998. Would probably need a cash supplement from the Dilbeck Investment Group.
Hi
~44~

Postby ~44~ » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:05 pm

Congrats to Sandy Kershaw for winning his first of many Cy Youngs.

MVP could/should be Kemp. Stay tuned.
Hi
~44~

Postby ~44~ » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:18 pm

Hi
~44~

Postby Omar Bongo » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:33 pm

=D>
To Republicans who wonder whether they need to rethink their strategy, I submit that when you've lost every popular vote save one since 1988 you might want to rethink the need for your party at all
Omar Bongo

Postby John Q. Public » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:08 pm

Omar Bongo wrote: =D>

Ditto that. I have a feeling Madge understands what the franchise is all about. Hopefully he isn't just the front man for a group of more McCords.
Don't look at me, I just work here.
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby GOODave » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:15 am

John Q. Public wrote:Ditto that. I have a feeling Madge understands what the franchise is all about. Hopefully he isn't just the front man for a group of more McCords.

It's their money, of course ... but $2 billion?

did they get some Stimulua money or something?
GOODave

Postby pshaw » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:50 am

John Q. Public wrote:Ditto that. I have a feeling Madge understands what the franchise is all about.

I do???

pshaw

Postby ~44~ » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:33 pm

Bandwagon officially reopened.
Hi
~44~

Postby GOODave » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:03 am

~44~ wrote:Bandwagon officially reopened.

Much as I appreciate your kind offer, 44, I think I'll tough it out at least until the all-star break.

Pujols hasn't even gotten warmed up yet and you KNOW how a guy's wood takes warming up before any serious play can proceed...

check back with me around June-ish. I also note the Cardinals are doing O.K. now that they recovered from the drubbing they got from the Cubbies on Friday, but I would think the Cards will run a distant second to the Dodgers, should I decide to switch horses.

I'll try to keep you posted.
GOODave

Postby ~44~ » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:58 am

Thought it might be a good time for a bump on this one.

Hope everybody is doing as well as the Azul

World Series is coming to LA.
Hi
~44~

Postby Zebra » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:52 am

Got my daughter wearing a Dodgers cap for the first time in her life .. and loving it. The CO and the little one are still brain damaged. :rockon:
Coach, you can call me a S.O.B. all you want. Just don't call me a little S.O.B. [-X
Zebra

Previous

Return to MLB