"the inevitable disaster that will be the Trump Administration"

Wabash

"the inevitable disaster that will be the Trump Administration"

Postby Wabash » Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:12 am

Sounds like you are laying the groundwork to blame her for the inevitable disaster that will be the Trump Administration.

They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Bick

Re: Seeds of Defeat

Postby Bick » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:31 am

Do you have any specific measurable indicators of this impending disaster? Or does everything that happens in the next 8 years qualify by definition?

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:01 am

History shows that folks like Trump don't understand how to govern.

He hasn't shown any predilection to prove that wrong.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Bick

Postby Bick » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:06 am

That should be an easy task for you then. What specific, measurable indicator will we see in 2017 that would qualify as a disaster?

broman

Postby broman » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:33 am

Curious Bick, based on the measurably indicators, GDP, unemployment rate, stock market, and job growth, did these things improve during the Obama years?

Bick

Postby Bick » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:47 am

I'm sure some did.

I'm curious what is supposed to happen in this upcoming disaster movie though. I've read how people are planning to move to Canada, disrupt the inauguration, etc. This should be a very easy thing to articulate given all the adverse actions being taken.

So...what's going to happen?

cruiser

Postby cruiser » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:59 am

On a side note, what happen to all the well to do mega bucks people, hollywood stars. well
known wealthy entertainers and the the like that said they were leaving the country if Trump
won, not a peep from them on doing it, no?

And - as I posted before if Trump even gets even half of what he said he was going to do or the perception
that it's happening he will be elected by a wider electoral margin in 2020!

The Trump haters can only hope for a medical problem that makes him unable to serve - it is what it is.

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:08 am

Bick wrote:That should be an easy task for you then. What specific, measurable indicator will we see in 2017 that would qualify as a disaster?

Let me help you with history.

Example 1. George W. Bush

In 2000 a GOP was elected president (coincidentally he also lost the popular vote). That president had a same party majorities in both houses congress. The economy had a minor slump (which ended within six months of his administration), but unemployment was under 5%. The DJIA was 10,500. There was a minimal deficit. We zoom ahead to Jan. 20, 2009. The economy has been in a full scale recession for over a year. Unemployment is 7.8% and climbing. 500K people a month are losing their jobs. The Dow Jones is around 8,200 and headed south.

Example 2. Herbert Hoover

In Jan., 1929 a president with zero experience in elected office or military command is sworn into office with same party majorities in both houses congress. His claim to fame is that he is successful in business (sound familiar?) and promises, "a chicken in every pot and a car in every garage." Less than a year later the stock market crashed causing what we now call the Great Depression. It took almost a decade after Hoover lost his re-election bid for the American economy to recover. The silver lining was that a GOP president wouldn't see the Oval Office for 20 years. A GOP who get tossed out in a primary today given how he governed.

Will we see an economic collapse in 2017 like what we saw in 2008 or 1929? I don't know. I do know that history has not been kind to the American economy (and especially the middle class) when Trump like individuals have been elected with same party majorities.

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:10 am

cruiser wrote:On a side note, what happen to all the well to do mega bucks people, hollywood stars. well
known wealthy entertainers and the the like that said they were leaving the country if Trump
won, not a peep from them on doing it, no?

They will respond the same way conservatives who threatened to leave the country when Obama was elected. They are all still here.

cruiser wrote:And - as I posted before if Trump even gets even half of what he said he was going to do or the perception that it's happening he will be elected by a wider electoral margin in 2020!

We'll see.

cruiser wrote:The Trump haters can only hope for a medical problem that makes him unable to serve - it is what it is.

Given the majorities in congress are held by the same party, there will be no one to blame if things go bad. Though I'm sure they will do exactly that. The Bush Administration was blaming Clinton till practically the day he left office.

MDDad

Re: "the inevitable disaster that will be the Trump Administration"

Postby MDDad » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:27 pm

Wabash wrote:History shows that folks like Trump don't understand how to govern.

I do know that history has not been kind to the American economy (and especially the middle class) when Trump like individuals have been elected with same party majorities.

Since you've used this vague, undefined term twice now, maybe you could explain what it means...especially since anyone who had said "folks like Obama" and "Obama like individuals" would instantly have been branded a rabid racist on this forum.

Bick

Postby Bick » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:39 pm

I assume the history reference is due to the absence of any real idea what the impending disaster is that's been the source of the rioting and whatnot?

A little odd the amount of certainty we're on the Titanic without any clue as to the description of the icebergs.

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:41 pm

With all due respect to Santayana.

Those who do read history are condemned to relive the mistakes made by those who don't.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:46 pm

I want to know who all these Trump-like individuals are.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

broman

Postby broman » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:37 pm

Lookie, lookie GOP just changed the rules of oversight.

In one of their first moves of the new Congress, House Republicans have voted to gut their own independent ethics watchdog — a huge blow to cheerleaders of congressional oversight and one that dismantles major reforms adopted after the Jack Abramoff scandal. Monday's effort was led, in part, by lawmakers who have come under investigation in recent years. Despite a warning from Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) and Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.), House Republicans adopted a proposal by Judiciary Chairman Bob Goodlatte (R-Va.) to put the Office of Congressional Ethics under the jurisdiction of the House Ethics Committee.

The office currently has free rein, enabling investigators to pursue allegations and then recommend further action to the House Ethics Committee as they see fit. Now, the office would be under the thumb of lawmakers themselves. The proposal also appears to limit the scope of the office’s work by barring them from considering anonymous tips against lawmakers. And it would stop the office from disclosing the findings of some of their investigations, as they currently do after the recommendations go to House Ethics.
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/01/h ... ght-233111

Tell me about the rigged system again. ](*,)

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:25 pm

John Q. Public wrote:I want to know who all these Trump-like individuals are.

GOP individuals who have achieved the office of the presidency with little to no experience and have same party majorities. Hoover, Bush 43, and Trump all fit into that category.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:59 pm

Yeah. A former Cabinet member and a governor for 8 years. Just like Trump. Sure thing.

Fordama

Postby Fordama » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:28 pm

Let the dumpster fire begin!
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:11 pm

John Q. Public wrote:Yeah. A former Cabinet member and a governor for 8 years. Just like Trump. Sure thing.

I can only discuss the real circumstances of what is occurring. There is historical precedent that isn't positive.

I have no idea what you're referencing.

Why did you delete my thread on the defunding of the House Ethics Committee?

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:31 am

Scroll up to where it says "Broman."

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:48 am

broman wrote:Lookie, lookie GOP just changed the rules of oversight.

Apparently the stench of that one was too much for even GOP supporters to stomach.

GOP Scraps Plans to Gut Watchdog Committee

House Republicans at an emergency conference meeting on Tuesday withdrew a proposal to gut an ethics watchdog.

The new Congress hadn't even formally gaveled in on before GOP leaders held an emergency conference meeting to discuss the blowback against the party's vote Monday evening to gut the chamber's independent ethics watchdog.

Tuesday's meeting came after President-elect Donald Trump issued a series of tweets questioning the timing of the proposed changes, which would have put the independent Office of Congressional Ethics under oversight of the House Ethics Committee.

Return to “National”