Your Daily WTF

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Re: Your Daily WTF

Postby John Q. Public » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:03 am

Which makes me wonder - party buses. Does the driver have to be walled off? Wear a breathing apparatus? Seems like making them non-smoking would be bad for business.

Don't look at me, I just work here.

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:31 am

This law is the same as the one that made it illegal to use a cellphone while driving -- it enables our legislators to pat themselves on the back because they've done something to "protect the public", while it has absolutely no effect on actual behavior. Typical nanny state maneuver.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:42 am

So you're ok with rolling pot parties? I know that back in the day, going for a drive was a pretty "safe" way to get high - and it wasn't at all uncommon. But unless you want to make that legal you have to put it in writing.

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:29 am

No, I'm not OK with rolling pot parties. My point is that this law will not accomplish anything.

Vilepagan

Postby Vilepagan » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:05 am

MDDad wrote:Typical nanny state maneuver.

How so? Usually a "nanny state" law is one that punishes behavior that we think shouldn't be punished, but you think this is behavior that should be punished...right?
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:08 am

True, but making it completely illegal, driving or not, didn't work either and look how long we persisted with that.

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:23 am

Vilepagan wrote:How so? Usually a "nanny state" law is one that punishes behavior that we think shouldn't be punished, but you think this is behavior that should be punished...right?

If I respond to your question will you call me an ass again?

A nanny state is also one that passes laws and regulations just for the sake of passing them, regardless of whether or not they will have any effect, because they're convinced Sammy and Susie Snowflake need more and more of their protection.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:32 am

Except not having the law would handcuff cops in situations where they should at least be able to issue a citation. To me, it sounds dumb but it fixes a small technicality that was overlooked in the law.

Vilepagan

Postby Vilepagan » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:50 pm

MDDad wrote:A nanny state is also one that passes laws and regulations just for the sake of passing them, regardless of whether or not they will have any effect, because they're convinced Sammy and Susie Snowflake need more and more of their protection.

Is that what happened in this case?
There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. - The Dhammapada

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:15 pm

I think it is.

Fordama

Postby Fordama » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:14 pm

MDDad wrote:This law is the same as the one that made it illegal to use a cellphone while driving -- it enables our legislators to pat themselves on the back because they've done something to "protect the public", while it has absolutely no effect on actual behavior. Typical nanny state maneuver.

ABSTRACT:
Almost all U.S. states have laws limiting drivers’ cellphone use. The evidence suggests that all-driver bans on hand-held phone conversations have resulted in long-term reductions in hand-held phone use, and drivers in ban states reported higher rates of hands-free phone use and lower overall phone use compared with drivers in non-ban states. Bans on all phone use by teenage drivers have not been shown to reduce their phone use. The effects of texting bans on the rates of drivers’ texting are unknown. With regard to the effects of bans on crashes, 11 peer-reviewed papers or technical reports of all-driver hand-held phone bans and texting bans were reviewed. Some were single-state studies examining crash measures before and after a state ban; other national or multi-state studies compared crashes in states with and without bans over time. The results varied widely. The lack of appropriate controls and other challenges in conducting strong evaluations limited the findings of some studies. Thus, despite the proliferation of laws limiting drivers’ cellphone use, it is unclear whether they are having the desired effects on safety. Priorities for future research are suggested.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4001674/
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:49 pm

...it enables our legislators to pat themselves on the back because they've done something to "protect the public", while it has absolutely no effect on actual behavior...

I guess MDDAD thinks open container laws are useless "nanny state" intrusions as well? Why are speeding laws any different, nobody obeys those either. Seat belts?

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:02 am

You score front row seats for the Russian war games. What could possibly go wrong?

The video might require approval.
https://youtu.be/cod_Mt3lEZk

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:59 pm

Reminiscent of the Sgt. York DIVAD test.

As an example of some of the issues here, in 1982 Ford was set to demonstrate the M247 to a gathered crowd of VIPs and military brass. However, the moment the M247’s tracking system was turned on, it immediately targeted the stands the gathered people were sitting in, resulting in complete chaos as those present trampled one another to get out of the way. Of course, the M247 required the operator to tell it to fire, so there was no real danger here, but one can imagine staring down a pair of 40mm cannons in a live demo would be a tad frightening.

After a while the engineers thought they’d managed to fix the issue and the demo resumed, only to see the M247 shoot into the ground rather than the drone target it was “locked on” to.

Made right here in the OC.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:43 pm

Ah, that's what the red button does...

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:39 pm

"A federal judge in Louisiana ruled Thursday that Black Lives Matter is a social movement and cannot be sued, deflating the legal case of an unnamed police officer injured in a demonstration in July 2016.

"In November 2016, an anonymous police officer in Baton Rouge sued DeRay Mckesson, a leading activist in the movement, and Black Lives Matter, laying blame for injuries he endured during a violent protest on July 9, 2016.

"Like the Tea Party or the civil rights movement, U.S. District Judge Brian Jackson said Black Lives Matter is not an entity and therefore is unable to be sued."

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/09/28/ju ... wsuit.html

It says the officer was hit by some kind of “'rock like substance,' causing him to lose teeth and sustain injuries to his jaw and brain." The judge ruled that Mckesson (no "sic", I guess he spells it that way) was protected by the First Amendment in organizing the protest, didn't plan for it to turn violent and had nothing to do with the rock-like substance.

Besides Mckesson and the non-entity, the officer also sued the hashtag "#BlackLivesMatter". Yes. He sued. A word.

Here's your sign, Officer Anonymous. And one for your lawyer.

What was that about frivolous law suits?

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Re: Response to Hurricane Maria

Postby John Q. Public » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:14 pm

Apparently sexual harassment of phones is a thing. --:--

A new petition from Care2.com is calling on Apple and Amazon to shut down sexual harassment of their virtual assistants. Though the issue spans across all digital assistants, the petition focuses particularly on reprogramming Amazon’s Alexa and Apple’s Siri to provide more assertive responses to queries that could be considered sexual harassment.

https://venturebeat.com/2017/12/08/peti ... arassment/

broman

Postby broman » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:18 pm

Alabama Republican Senate nominee Roy Moore appeared on a conspiracy-driven radio show twice in 2011, where he told the hosts in an interview that getting rid of constitutional amendments after the Tenth Amendment would 'eliminate many problems' in the way the US government is structure.
http://www.cnn.com/2017/12/10/politics/ ... index.html

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:30 pm

Posted here because I don't think we have a "You can't make this **** up" thread.

Sean Hannity, to prove that CNN and NBC aren't covering the Uranium One story, tweets a link to an NBC article about the Uranium. One. Story.

Screenshot-2017-12-22 Sean Hannity on Twitter.jpg

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:20 pm

Not exactly the brightest bulb in the chandelier
"Character matters to the presidency and Donald Trump will bring the highest level of integrity to the highest office in the land. You can count on it.”
Mike Pence

"How stupid is our country?"
Donald Trump

Return to “National”