The 2017 OC Connect High School Football pool starts Thursday 8/24

Get your predictions in here!

Click the X at the upper right to dismiss this message.

little bobbie costas

Fordama

Re: little bobbie costas

Postby Fordama » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:58 am

Hail to the Porch Monkeys!
Hail Victory!
Darkies on the Warpath!
Fight for old D.C.!
Run or pass and score -- we want a lot more!
Beat 'em, Swamp 'em,
Touchdown! -- Let the points soar!
Fight on, fight on 'Til you have won
Sons of Wash-ing-ton. Rah!, Rah!, Rah!

Hail to the Porch Monkeys!
Hail Victory!
Darkies on the Warpath!
Fight for old D.C.!

Oh yeah, context makes that sooo much better! Seeing how there are so many more African Americans in D.C. than Native Americans that my version would be even better received!

Fordama

This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:30 am

There was an interesting point made in an L.A. Times op-ed this morning: If the Washington Redskins should change their name because the term "redskins" is outdated, offensive and derogatory, then the NAACP should do the same because the term "colored people" is also outdated, offensive and derogatory.

I will assume all liberals will agree.

Parrotpaul

Postby Parrotpaul » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:37 am

I'm cool with that, MDDAD.

"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

Zebra

Postby Zebra » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:41 am

It's always YOU Fordama making disparaging remarks like "porch monkeys", "darkies", "kenyan", when describing what YOU assume prople are thinking. Projecting a little of your own "personality" out there much? :hide:

No discussion needed, just pointing out the obvious like the others here. You really need help dude. :giggle:
Coach, you can call me a S.O.B. all you want. Just don't call me a little S.O.B. [-X

Fordama

Postby Fordama » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:55 am

No Zebra, just seeing if the context of the racial slur made it appropriate.

If you didn't detect my sarcasm, I don't think it did. Would it be appropriate to use dagos, wops, polacks, bucketheads, etc? Gooks, chinks, ragheads, slanteyes?

Would there be no objectionable racial slurs that would be appropriate for professional sports franchises, or is it only acceptable to use them for Native Americans?

Fordama
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

Parrotpaul

Postby Parrotpaul » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:58 am

Zebra...to try to dismiss your post so quickly by disclaiming any need to respond is funny....there is plenty of need to respond and for discussion. Your POV on the subject is different from my POV on the issue....IMO, Ford is correct...to try to claim the name "Redskins" is OK to use as it offends no one is an OK POV to embrace, if that's the POV you really want to embrace, but it's tough to find decent arguments that support the team keeping the name. If one city can adjust to their team being called the Pelicans, or the Ducks, another city can adjust to their team not being called the Redskins. To rake Ford for using illustrative and comparable title name examples is disingenuous. What is it about Ford's thinking that causes you to make the statement he needs help? What kinds of help? And, why do you presume your level of critical thinking is superior to his?
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

AsIfYouKnew

Postby AsIfYouKnew » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:37 am

Sorry if someone already pointed this out, but most native americans are not offended by the team name, as shown in this poll:

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/ken-shephe ... s-arent-of
When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.
Jonathan Swift

http://www.civilityinamerica.org/en/index.html

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:41 am

Fordama wrote:Would it be appropriate to use dagos, wops, polacks, bucketheads, etc? Gooks, chinks, ragheads, slanteyes?

Your list cracked me up, Ford, and at the risk of offending everyone, some of the terms deserve further discussion.

1. I have no idea what a Buckethead is. However, if an NFL team used buckets as helmets instead of the current state-of-the-art models, the Los Angeles Bucketheads would be both appropriate and inoffensive. Were you perhaps thinking of Zipperhead, or Buddhahead, and just typed the wrong Head?

2. It's interesting that in Poland and Scandinavia the term Polak refers to a Polish male and is in no way offensive. The Warsaw Polaks would be a perfectly acceptable NFL addition. It's only in America that our own suffocating political correctness has determined that Polack is unacceptable.

3. The term Raghead is also confusing and ambiguous. At worst, it is only marginally offensive because it references an article of clothing rather than a national or ethnic feature. Second, it's degree of offensiveness is somewhat determined by who owns the franchise and where it is located. It could be argued that the Riyadh Ragheads or the Cairo Ragheads might be offensive, whereas the Al Qaeda Ragheads or Taliban Ragheads might be completely appropriate.

joefutbol

Postby joefutbol » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:54 am

Raghead is not confusing or ambiguous. It is interchangeable with towelhead, sand nig*er, hadji, and camel jockey.

sbayhills

Postby sbayhills » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:27 am

Ford, all your latest response did was show you being overly dramatic and your level of exaggeration.

Hail to the Redskins..............A team fight song for 54 years. Certainly not meant or taken as a racist slur by the team or its fans.

Fordama

Postby Fordama » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:31 am

So you would find a sports team named Porch Monkeys acceptable? What about those other names?

Fordama

sbayhills

Postby sbayhills » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:37 am

You're only looking more foolish............but please proceed.

SoMelo

Postby SoMelo » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:38 am

Sure it's not "meant" to be a racal slur, but it is... African-Americans call each other the N word, but it isn't wise for Anglo-Americans too... Speaking of Anglo-American one of ADT's affiliate companys was called Anglo-American, they were run out of New Mexico for being offensive they eventually changed their name.

AsIfYouKnew

Postby AsIfYouKnew » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:14 pm

What about the tar babies? Isn't that a racial slur?
When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.
Jonathan Swift

http://www.civilityinamerica.org/en/index.html

sbayhills

Postby sbayhills » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:15 pm

To Somelo: Yesterday you said it was merely offensive.Today you upgraded it to a racial slur? OK...............

SoMelo

Postby SoMelo » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:30 pm

Oh that's because I watched an episode of Little House on the Prairie and the angry white guy called his half-breed grandson a redskin and he meant for it to cut

Fordama

Postby Fordama » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:32 pm

You're only looking more foolish............but please proceed.
So you can't answer the question?

The only ones who are looking foolish are the ones trying to defend a racial slur by pretending it is not a racial slur.

Fordama

SoMelo

Postby SoMelo » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:35 pm

I haven't been around 70 years to see what else was acceptable back then but nonger is, but I'm sure the list is long.

sbayhills

Postby sbayhills » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:56 pm

Another incomplete pass Ford. You continue to look foolish.

Parrotpaul

Postby Parrotpaul » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:59 pm

"merely offensive?" I also said it was offensive...it is offensive because of what it is...a racial slur. Tough one to spin into something different from what it is.

Return to “NFL”