The 2017 OC Connect High School Football pool starts Thursday 8/24

Get your predictions in here!

Click the X at the upper right to dismiss this message.

Wonderful Article on Jonathan Martin

BoscoWillBeBack

Wonderful Article on Jonathan Martin

Postby BoscoWillBeBack » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:24 pm

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/993 ... ng-scandal

I think this goes far beyond just throwing the ball around, but a real issue to American culture and society. We're constantly bombarded with masculinity and deem sensitivity/emotions as weak when in reality it's an inevitable human trait as normal as sneezing.

We have gone as far as to label a demented player "normal" and view a big guy with emotions "the black sheep".

A must read article.
Last edited by Guest on Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Parrotpaul

Re: Wonderful Article on Jonathan Martin

Postby Parrotpaul » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:47 pm

It is an interesting article, Tom....a position and argument I can get behind, but you might want to edit some text into your introductory post. Without it, JQP will probably delete the thread. He gets fussy about that....the site gets ticked for empty posts containing only links, and the site loses as a result. Thanks...and thanks for the article.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

BoscoWillBeBack

Postby BoscoWillBeBack » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:01 pm

Thanks, ParrotPaul.

Anybody who argues against the position of this article is seriously screwed in the head.

Parrotpaul

Postby Parrotpaul » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:16 pm

I agree. Seriously disturbing event on many levels.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

Al Koholik

Postby Al Koholik » Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:40 am

Excellent take.

This unfortunate situation does come with it one of the best opportunities for coaches and teachers alike to not only educate on the many issues at hand, but more importantly to establish and maintain a dialogue that may not currently exist.
"A woman once drove me to drink and I never had the decency to thank her."
W.C. Fields

Notorious

Postby Notorious » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:10 am

I haven't read anything that Incognito has done with Martin that would leave me offended. That said mental health is a serious issue, if it affected Martin mentally then obviously Incognito went too far.

It is surprising however that Martin basically did nothing other than try to ignore him.
Never Underestimate The Fart Of A Monarch

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:34 am

I don't know if I want to praise Martin for being the real man in this situation, smash Incognito's teeth down his throat, laugh about the idea of somebody named Incognito drawing so much attention to himself or ask if he wasn't a roadie for the Flesheaters. Great name.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

Al Koholik

Postby Al Koholik » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:58 am

Noto, Regardless of the leathery thickness of your skin, I think you have it backwards. The person in this scenario with actual clinical mental health issues is undoubtedly Richie Incognito. Emotional distress is NOT a mental health issue. Even a lay person such as yourself could, upon close examination of Incognitos long documented behavioral pattern, surmise that his transgressions (read: behavior acceptable neither in civilized society nor within the confines of the most brutal sport on earth) are not just a matter of being the average ass*ole but undoubtedly symptomatic of multiple clinical psychological/sociopathic issues.
Experts in the field are having a field day with this. Incognito is a walking textbook.
Is it surprising that Fat lil' Richie was teased and bullied as a child?
Is it surprising that Incognito is not married? Probably never been laid without paying for it.
The division on this subject and what Martin "should have done" or the question of toughness and/or Martin's sensitivity is analogous to arguing Religion or Politics. The most unreligious or unreasonable/illogical thing one can do is to dismiss another's belief system because it differs from their own. It's the exact same thing with this sh*t. People who can't understand the tack Martin chose dismiss such as weakness or the inability to confront and stand up for ones self and thus, while they may not agree with Incognitos behavior, are still finding Martin somehow culpable in all of this.
Do I believe that Martin confronting Incognito may have quelled this? Maybe... but given Incogs history, maybe not. And then where is Martin? Probably under more fire from fathead.
The standard for professionalism among professionals should be based on performance. Period ended.
If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck... It's a duck. Incognito is a sick **** and the Miami Dolphins are in big trouble for perpetuating this Jr. High behavior. Disgraceful and disrespectful to the game.
Last edited by John Q. Public on Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: rule violation removed
"A woman once drove me to drink and I never had the decency to thank her."
W.C. Fields

Parrotpaul

Postby Parrotpaul » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:03 am

Incognito sounds like a few folks I have run into on chat forums. :mrgreen:

afan95

Postby afan95 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:15 am

Excellent article.
I especially like the points about suicide in this league. I also wonder what these tough guys think about all the ex-players that just won a lawsuit because they now have health problems. Should they just have been men and let that issue go by as well?
It's my Board and I will censor you when I feel like it JQP

Parrotpaul

Postby Parrotpaul » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:01 am

Football will change. It has to change...preservation of the species.

Return to “NFL”