The 2017 OC Connect High School Football pool starts Thursday 8/24

Get your predictions in here!

Click the X at the upper right to dismiss this message.

Washington Redskins trademark canceled by U.S. Patent Office

MDDad

Re: Washington Redskins trademark canceled by U.S. Patent Of

Postby MDDad » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:02 am

I heard a related story on the Colin Cowherd national sports talk show this morning.

The University of North Dakota athletic teams had been called the Fighting Sioux since the 1930's. In 2012, after seven years of political and legal wrangling (during which time I'm sure plenty of lawyers made plenty of money) the Fighting Sioux nickname and logo were dropped, and the university has until 2015 to come up with something new. The school currently has no nickname for its sports teams.

It's interesting that the Fighting Sioux inspired such emotional (and expensive) efforts to repeal its use, while the Fighting Irish of Notre Dame goes on unchallenged. The P.C. movement has become so pervasive and so complicated that it's hard to keep track of what is acceptable and what is not. I guess it's only certain national, ethnic or religious groups that have the right to get offended and cause such outrage, while others are just expected to go with the flow. What a country!

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:04 am

The only thing I can imagine is that Fighting Irish isn't considered offensive. It they were called the Fighting M*** (Irish slur term), that might be the difference.

But Hurons and Sioux are the real names of real tribes. I don't consider them to be slurs in the same vein as Redskins.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

afan95

Postby afan95 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:30 am

Watch out San Diego PADRES...someone is going to say that it shoves religion and especially the Catholic Church down their throats.
Gosh, even the Anaheim ANGELS better think about a name change.
It's my Board and I will censor you when I feel like it JQP

Parrotpaul

Postby Parrotpaul » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:00 am

The New England Patriots are probably safe for a while. I agree with Wabash....Sioux and Huron aren't quite the same as Redskins on the "controversial" continuum.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

crayegg
Oversight Committee

Postby crayegg » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:12 am

Agreed, and I don't think Chiefs, Braves or Indians are derogatory, either, although I think Cleveland's Chief Wahoo's days are numbered.

sbayhills

Postby sbayhills » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:23 am

And after the PC crowd gets done with the Redskins, what's next? We can't keep score because that's offensive too? This is ridiculous.

Parrotpaul

Postby Parrotpaul » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:26 am

Who is keeping score?
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:34 am

Shouldn't it be Catholics who are upset about the Padres, afan? Come on, guys! Let's hear some outrage!

I'm all for tradition and I like Chief Wahoo (cool old cartoony picture) and I think the complaints about Indians, Hurons, Braves, etc. are silly, but c'mon! Redskins? Really? You can't see the offensiveness in that?
Don't look at me, I just work here.

sbayhills

Postby sbayhills » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:50 am

Please read the short article I posted. Certainly there are more things to be outraged than this.

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:56 am

Parrotpaul wrote:I agree with Wabash....Sioux and Huron aren't quite the same as Redskins on the "controversial" continuum
I agree as well. However, the Fighting Sioux and the Fighting Irish are absolutely comparable. Why is there only outrage over one of them?

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:59 am

The Irish are all too drunk to care?

:hide:

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:22 am

That conclusion is based on the belief that the Irish drink more than Native Americans, and I'm not sure that's true. They can just hold it better.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:13 am

I'm just mad that there are no offensive Scottish team names. Lord knows we've done our part. We wear skirts, we eat goat stomachs, we play bagpipes, the national drink is wiskey, national flower a weed and we're genetically disinclined to playing tennis (see below). What did we do wrong? Or are people just afraid we'll throw a telephone pole at them or something?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3cKAhL0c-g

joefutbol

Postby joefutbol » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:19 am

Maybe because Notre Dame is full of Irish Catholics and they're the ones who adopted the name. I don't think the Redskins name was adopted by Native Americans.

Or, maybe it's because my people don't give a damn.

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:35 am

JQP, if it makes you feel any better, I used to live across the street from McFadden Intermediate School, home of the Scots. Funny, given that the school is 110% Hispanic, and the next Scot that shows up there will probably be the first.

joefutbol, I think the issue is the difference between people who make it a full-time job to be offended by every silly cartoonish thing that comes their way, and those that take sports nicknames and mascots as the silly cartoonish things they are.

RedFred

Postby RedFred » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:28 pm

If you surveyed the entire population of Americans under the age of 40 as to what a Redskin is/means, I'd bet 90%+ would say an NFl football team.

Red

Postby Red » Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:48 am

:thumbsup: RedFred. BTW, you are offending every redfred in the nation. I think you should change your moniker. LOL

Washington Redskin potatoes!

Washington RedFreds!

Washington Spenders!

Washington Idiots!

Washington Criminals!
Liberalism is like an out-of-control 5 year old at McDonalds. All the talking to and admonishment won't make a difference. They have no concept of right or wrong, they are nothing more than narcissists.

Parrotpaul

Postby Parrotpaul » Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:45 pm

Return to “NFL”