The 2017 OC Connect High School Football pool starts Thursday 8/24

Get your predictions in here!

Click the X at the upper right to dismiss this message.

Washington Redskins trademark canceled by U.S. Patent Office

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Washington Redskins trademark canceled by U.S. Patent Office

Postby John Q. Public » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:02 am

The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office has canceled the Washington Redskins trademark registration, an extremely rare move the office said it made because the name is offensive to Native Americans.

Trademarks that disparage or belittle other groups are not permited under federal law. The ruling Wednesday pertains to six different trademarks containing the word “Redskin.”

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ ... 7895.story DANGER! Video.

Never heard of such a thing.

Don't look at me, I just work here.

seeinred

Re: Washington Redskins trademark canceled by U.S. Patent Of

Postby seeinred » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:12 am

I'm not a fan of that move. After so many years of trademark, there has to be some kind of "grandfather" clause to keep it in place. Huge lawsuit to follow here...

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:37 am

They can appeal it but I'm guessing it wouldn't do much more than buy them some time.

crayegg
Oversight Committee

Postby crayegg » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:16 am

It really doesn't change much, they can still use the name. Now it means others can use it without paying licensing fees. Now I think about it, that might be a substantial financial hit to the team.

RedFred

Postby RedFred » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:30 am

May buy them more than time,

Bob Raskopf, the trademark attorney for the Redskins, said the team will appeal the ruling and is confident it will successfully overturn Wednesday's ruling and noted that the team's trademark registrations will remain valid while the case is appealed. "We are confident we will prevail once again, and that the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board's divided ruling will be overturned on appeal. This case is no different than an earlier case, where the Board cancelled the Redskins' trademark registrations, and where a federal district court disagreed and reversed the Board," Raskopf said in a statement.

In 1999, a panel ruled to cancel the trademarks after a 16-year battle with Native American groups. It was eventually overturned on a technicality after the courts decided that the plaintiffs were too old and should have filed their complaint soon after the Redskins registered their nickname in 1967. "The evidence in the current claim is virtually identical to the evidence a federal judge decided was insufficient more than ten years ago. We expect the same ultimate outcome here," Raskopf said in his statement.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11102 ... -trademark

Red

Postby Red » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:54 am

crayegg, again you are way out of touch. The Washington REDSKINS will not lose money. I will be buying a Redskin hat out of respect for the real native Americans, like my Father-in-Law. What this is TYRANNY as we know who is behind this. Disgusting.
Liberalism is like an out-of-control 5 year old at McDonalds. All the talking to and admonishment won't make a difference. They have no concept of right or wrong, they are nothing more than narcissists.

crayegg
Oversight Committee

Postby crayegg » Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:04 pm

red, as usual you have no idea what you are talking about. If the revocation of their trademarks is upheld (a big if, granted), they will lose a ton of money in licensing fees and they will sell very little "official" gear because identical knock offs will be dirt cheap. If you think Obama is behind this, the case has been ongoing for over two decades. A similar ruling was made in 1999 and overruled on a technicality in 2003.

Red

Postby Red » Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:18 pm

They will get their patent back and YES your tyrant had everything to do with. To believe otherwise is fantasy. I really do hope you are proud of YOUR liberal party.
Liberalism is like an out-of-control 5 year old at McDonalds. All the talking to and admonishment won't make a difference. They have no concept of right or wrong, they are nothing more than narcissists.

Red

Postby Red » Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:24 pm

If the tyrannical government does not allow them to get their trademark back, there are MILLIONS of American that would make sure they are buying legitimate Washington REDSKIN merchandise. What's next? The Dallas COWBOYS?

joefutbol

Postby joefutbol » Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:37 pm

Does anything bad ever happen that isn't Obama's fault?

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:45 pm

Not much joefutbol.

It's a all a plot.

This is one of those times when folks who clamor for getting the government out of the way will see the detrimental effects of non-interference.

The US Patent Office is a pillar of American capitalism for all the reasons stated earlier. Without copyright and trademark protection, there is little one could do to keep others from profitting off of one's ideas.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:41 pm

Red, I got a container load of cheap Chinese jerseys (with "official" labels) says they - and the NFL - will lose money.

Red

Postby Red » Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:46 pm

JQP, maybe liberals wont buy them but I will. This is pathetic. Meanwhile the country is falling. High unemployment. IRS scandal. Benghazi! Your party is pathetic as the leader. Sad.

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:03 pm

Red, you left out the birth certificate and him being a muslim.

You're slipping.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Fordama

Postby Fordama » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:03 pm

Red is all fired up to buy bootleg Redskins gear from China--that'l help America!

Fordama
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:49 pm

FYI - every team will share in the loss of revenue because they pool and divide up all the licensing fees- everyone except the Cowboys, that is, who have their own exclusive deal. Will the other teams side with Washington in defending the mascot, or will they pressure them to drop it?
Oct. 25: "One of the great memories of all time"
Nov.02: "I don't remember much about that meeting..."

How stupid is our country?
Donald Trump

Fordama

Postby Fordama » Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:18 pm

If they change their mascot and logo they will end up making more money in new merchandising. NBA teams figured that out years ago.

Fordama
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

RedFred

Postby RedFred » Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:01 am

Can the liberal madness get any worse:

MSNBC anchor Joy-Ann Reid reported this news with an obscenity warning before airing a clip of Sen. Harry Reid: "And I just warn people, he does use the name of the team. So, I'm just going to warn you guys about that in advance." .

sbayhills

Postby sbayhills » Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:08 am

A friend of mine has confirmed that the OC Register will not print the Redskins name.............Much ado about nothing.

http://boldencr.wordpress.com/2013/10/1 ... kins-name/

History Of The Washington Redskins Name

The team began 81 years ago – in 1932 – with the name “Boston Braves.” The following year, the franchise name was changed to the “Boston Redskins.” On that inaugural Redskins team, four players and one Head Coach were Native Americans. The name was never a label. It was, and continues to be, a badge of honor.

In 1971, the legendary coach, the late George Allen, consulted with the Red Cloud Athletic Fund located on the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation in South Dakota and designed our emblem on the Redskins helmets. Several years later, Coach Allen was honored by the Red Cloud Athletic Fund. On the wall in Ashburn, Virginia, offices is the plaque given to Coach Allen – a source of pride for all of us. “Washington Redskins” is more than a name we have called our football team for over eight decades. It is a symbol of everything we stand for: strength, courage, pride, and respect – the same values we know guide Native Americans and which are embedded throughout their rich history as the original Americans.

Also in May, SiriusXM NFL Radio hosted Robert Green, the longtime and recently retired Chief of the Fredericksburg-area Patawomeck Tribe, who said, among other things:

“Frankly, the members of my tribe – the vast majority – don’t find it offensive. I’ve been a Redskins fan for years. And to be honest with you, I would be offended if they did change [the name, Redskins….This is] an attempt by somebody…to completely remove the Indian identity from anything and pretty soon… you have a wipeout in society of any reference to Indian people….You can’t rewrite history – yes there were some awful bad things done to our people over time, but naming the Washington football team the Redskins, we don’t consider to be one of those bad things.”

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:48 am

This is an interesting piece. A friend of mine was a graduate of Eastern Michigan University when their mascot was the Hurons.

He was saddened when the school changed it to the Eagles. Nothing wrong with the birds, but my buddy said he was proud to be equated with the Hurons.

I know nothing about the tribe, but I don't see how that was considered bad. The name is not a slur. I can sort of get the Redskin controversy, but not others like EMU.

Return to “NFL”