The 2017 OC Connect High School Football pool starts Thursday 8/24

Get your predictions in here!

Click the X at the upper right to dismiss this message.

Super Bowl 2015...Patriots/Seahawks

Parrotpaul

Super Bowl 2015...Patriots/Seahawks

Postby Parrotpaul » Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:50 am

I understand pro football is anathema on this board, but what the hell.

Two completely different kinds of football game settled NFL conference championships yesterday. The Green Bay Packers fell asleep in the second half as the Seattle Seahawks pulled off an incredible come back to win in overtime. The Patriots put on nearly a perfect clinic game destroying the Colts in the process. Luck's day in the limelight will come.

Super Bowl 49 has all the makings of a real burner...Brady and Belichick go to their sixth SB together, and the Seahawks get a shot at winning consecutive Super Bowls...hasn't happened since the Pats did it in 2030 and 2004.

Thoughts?

"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

Wabash

Re: Super Bowl 2015...Patriots/Seahawks

Postby Wabash » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:24 am

Watching most of both games, I'm going with the Seahawks.

They never gave up.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

not4u13

Postby not4u13 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:48 am

I was out of my chair several time at the end of the Seahawks/Packers game. WOW. I felt GB kept leaving the door open for Seattle. That score at halftime should have been much higher. The Seattle defense played really well, with their backs against the wall most of the game. Put there by a sputtering offense and very good GB defense. Such an improbable victory. Not only the onside kick but that 2 point conversion?! I'm surprised that hasn't been replayed more often. That had all the markings of a hail mary the way Wilson chucked that ball across the field.

The Pats dominated, but now there is Inflate-gate with an accusation that the ball was under-inflated on purpose to make it easier to grip in the rain. Not to mention all the complaining about the trickery in formations. I think the NFL is going to have to do something different to allow a defense to set up after an ineligible reports as eligible, just like they do when the offense substitutes so they hold the ball to allow the defense to substitute. That is what Harbaugh was so upset about in the Ravens game. The NFL cleared the Pats before the Indy game, but it just doesn't seem consistent with the other rules that give each team time.

Where does it go from here you ask? Wow. Not even Vegas can figure it out. The Hawks opened as 2.5 point favorites but the line has changed already.

I think NE has too many offensive weapons and I don't think the Seahawks have enough firepower to keep pace with Brady. Sherman will not be 100% even if he does play.

This is the superbowl and there are plenty of backstories to keep it interesting, including that Pete Carroll was the former coach of the Pats. Wilson survived has bad game. Will he have another? No other QB has ever started in six superbowls and some were talking like Brady may be on the decline early in the season.

At the end of the day, the skill and preparation of NE will outlast the pure will and grit of the Seahawks.
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir
http://www.quotesdaddy.com

Parrotpaul

Postby Parrotpaul » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:22 am

Aaron Rodgers needs some of Tom Brady's sideline leadership...they handed the game to Seattle...it wasn't so much grit as a gift. 4 I's, and he won the game? The on-side kick killed the Pack.

I wouldn't dare make a guess as to who wins the SB. I know who I want to win, but I've also been down this road seven other times...three times were fun...four times not so much. I was hoping Green Bay would win the game....seeing a Rodgers/Brady SB would have been cool, but it won't happen this year.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

not4u13

Postby not4u13 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:33 am

I have to disagree that the Packers handed them the game. You never got a sense, the entire time, that GB was running away with this thing. They didn't get a lot of points off of the INTs, which is a credit to the Seattle defense. There were several plays throughout the game that were crucial, any one of which could have changed the outcome. The coaches could not have done anything different on that onside kick. That was a matter of failure to execute on behalf of a player. He was a tight end. A hands guy. Big enough to take a hit. Good strategy. He probably makes that catch 95% of the time. He highpointed it but didn't seem to have a good look at the ball and missed it.

Seattle had to execute. They had already done considerably better in the second half and I didn't get the sense that the defense was letting up.

Yes, GB made a couple of crucial mistakes down the stretch, but Seattle had to execute and had they already given up, they would not have been in a position to take advantage.
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir
http://www.quotesdaddy.com

Parrotpaul

Postby Parrotpaul » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:55 am

That was a matter of failure to execute on behalf of a player. He was a tight end. A hands guy.

HIs assignment was to block...it was Jordy Nelson's assignment to get the ball....he jumped up right in front of Nelson and blew the play...he should have been on the move toward which ever player on the kicking team he was assigned to cover...."do your job." He didn't...game time.

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:10 pm

Belichick accused of cheating again, what a shocker:

Colts' Super Bowl dreams may not be the only thing the Patriots deflated

National Football League is investigating Patriots head coach Bill Belichick's team for possibly supplying deflated footballs

http://jacksonville.com/breaking-news/2015-01-19/story/colts-may-not-be-only-thing-patriots-deflated
Oct. 25: "One of the great memories of all time"
Nov.02: "I don't remember much about that meeting..."

How stupid is our country?
Donald Trump

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:19 pm

Bill Belichick is one of the greatest coaches in football history. If he got the idea for doctoring footballs from Bob Johnson, that's quite a feather in BoJo's cap.

Parrotpaul

Postby Parrotpaul » Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:11 am

Haters will continue to hate and play small ball. They could have used wiffle balls and the result would have been the same. The Pats gelded the Colts on no uncertain terms. GO PATRIOTS!!!!

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:28 pm

Parrotpaul wrote:They could have used wiffle balls and the result would have been the same.
Exactly. So why monkey with the footballs?

Parrotpaul

Postby Parrotpaul » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:04 pm

We don't know that they did...but wouldn't Andrew Luck have the same advantage, or is there some conspiracy from whomever gets and delivers the game balls, whomever delivers the reserve game balls, whomever delivers the visiting team game balls, and whomever stores the balls used for kicking which have different dynamics than non-kicking balls and whomever does all the weighing and pumping of aforementioned balls? All these balls are weighed and tested for a range of acceptable psi, and the refs check them out. A little complicated to execute a conspiracy such as this isn't it? Wouldn't the refs notice some difference in the weight and feel of the balls....they probably touch more footballs over the course of a game than anyone else.? How would someone deflate a ball and get it to Brady when the rain started and the Pats had possession without anyone knowing...then retrieve the ball and hide it? Much ado about nothing, IMO. Jerome Bettis called the Patriots felons...LOL. The Pats are hated more than the Cowboys. :mrgreen:

Marshawn Lynch grabbing his crotch after scoring a TD hasn't been talked about too much. Discipline for Marshawn? What about the kids? :shrug:

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:22 pm

"...wouldn't Andrew Luck have the same advantage..."?

Not neccesarily. From ESPN:

"[Aaron Rodgers] likes the ball to be inflated because of his strong grip pressure and large hand size...there is, if you don't have strong grip pressure or smaller hands, an advantage to having a flat football, though, because that is easier to throw."

"Much ado about nothing, IMO"

Well, then, why is the NFL investigating it? Are they part of the vast anti-Pats conspiracy too? BTW, your Pats-superhomer stance kinda taints your HO just a wee bit, IMO :-"

Belichick's track record for violating rules like filming closed practices and opposing coach's signs has something to do with it as well. Wasn't he fined half a million dollars for cheating a few years ago? #-o

Donald Trump

Parrotpaul

Postby Parrotpaul » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:29 pm

Someone suggested an impropriety to the NFL....what were they supposed to do....tell the concerned party to take a hike....puleese.? You another Patriots hater too, broman?

Aaron Rodgers also said it is the refs who deflate the balls.

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:45 pm

Appreciate the comparison, but I'm not broman :D

Not sure what "Aaron Rodgers also said it is the refs who deflate the balls" has to do with the point that inflation levels affect different quarterbacks differently... :eh?:

No, I'm not a "Patriots hater", I just don't like cheaters, and Belichick has a proven record of cheating to gain advantage. Doesn't that taint the Pats success under him for you? It does for me.

Donald Trump

Parrotpaul

Postby Parrotpaul » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:00 pm

Sorry, Omar...my mistake...nope...I've been a Patriots fan since 1960....through a whole lot of thin decades. I'm loving the last 14 years...every one of them. Deflated balls.....come on, man!!! :mrgreen:

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:30 pm

The plot thickens...the NFL tested the Patriots' 12 alloted game balls and 11 of them were under-inflated :shock:

"One source described the league as "disappointed ... angry ... distraught," after spending considerable time on the findings earlier Tuesday."

On a cold, wet and windy night in Foxboro, the Colts' Andrew Luck went 12/33 with no TDs and 2 INTs. Brady went 23/35 with 3 TDs and and 1 INT. Coincidence? (Interestingly, it was the interception that tipped off the Colts to the flat ball.)

Next is what to dub this latest Belichick chicanery...Deflation-gate? My vote is for Belichicanery :lol:

Donald Trump

Parrotpaul

Postby Parrotpaul » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:04 am

I'm keeping an open mind.... :mrgreen:

If Bill Belichick is found out to have known about this, he should be suspended for next year. I agree with Stephen A....any involvement in or knowledge of this incident should cost him. The refs checked the balls two hours and fifteen minutes before the game....there were no suspicions at that point. What happened during those 135 minutes is the question. The SB this year has been tainted....right or wrong...guilty or not guilty.

GO PATRIOTS!!!!

Parrotpaul

Postby Parrotpaul » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:50 am

Without testing the other team's balls, there is no objective conclusion that can be drawn about the impact of game play on the dynamics of a football. Were the Colt's footballs also tested? What did they find with them? Without a control factor there is no objective conclusion that can be made...unless they find someone purposefully altered the weight and psi of the footballs. The other footballs should also be tested to get a look at what happened to ALL the game balls....without that, it is only conjecture...not science...why has no one yet mentioned that in the media? In fact, all balls used last Sunday should have been tested by the league...Seattle, Green Bay, Indianapolis, and New England...there is an ethical obligation for the league to do that to find out if the Patriots balls were "unique." But to my knowledge that hasn't happened.

Without a control group or a confession of wrong-doing, all pronouncements by the league or anyone else will be arbitrary.

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:40 pm

Nice try, but you didn't acknowledge the elephant in the room...Belichick's history of thumbing his nose at league rules and cheating to gain advantage.

Add to that the terrible timing with what the league and Goodell have gone through this year and tainting the integrity of the game before the NFL'S biggest showcase, Belichick neither deserves nor should get even a microgram of "benefit of the doubt" from anyone but the most hardened Pats homers...

Donald Trump

Parrotpaul

Postby Parrotpaul » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:21 pm

You sound as if you might be a Charger's fan, Omar. :mrgreen:

Return to “NFL”