50 Years Later....B-52 Still Chugging Along

Wabash

50 Years Later....B-52 Still Chugging Along

Postby Wabash » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:19 am

A cold war icon continues to be reinvented.

Link

Excerpt:

For Air Force Capt. Daniel "Swoop" Welch, flying a B-52 bomber has become the family business.

His father, retired Lt. Col. Don Welch, was trained to drop nuclear bombs with the aircraft during the height of the Cold War. His grandfather, retired Col. Don Sprague, flew B-52 combat missions in Vietnam.

"It is definitely a testament to the robust design of the B-52," said Welch, 28. "Getting to fly the same aircraft as my father and grandfather has been pretty cool."

A friend's son just retired from the USAF. The joke was that when the last B-2 is flown to the AF Museum in Dayton, OH, it will be a B-52 that flies the crew home.

They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Parrotpaul

Re: 50 Years Later....B-52 Still Chugging Along

Postby Parrotpaul » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:25 am

The BUFF...spent my last year 66-67 in the AF watching 91st Bomb Wing B-52s come and go in Montana.....Arc Light...some didn't come back. Always liked to watch them lumber into the sky with eight kerosene trails as exhaust. They almost looked level at take-off....as if they just lifted and went....toggle wheels at the ends of the wings in the event of a hard landing the wing tips wouldn't scrape.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:11 am

"Lumber" is the word for it. I used to see them at March when I'd go by and it seemed like they took 4 or 5 miles to take off. I didn't know they had a runway that long.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

Troglodyte

Postby Troglodyte » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:45 am

The runway at Westover AFB in Mass was 10 miles.. The buffs used a good part of it, and the fully loaded KC-135s almost over ran it on take offs. In 1961 I was assigned shortly to the 99th air refueling wing when I came back from Iceland. Our job was refueling the fully armed buffs during operation steel trap. Those poor bastards spent days at time doing donuts above the arctic circle waiting for the "code".
I don't suffer from any mental illnesses.. I enjoy them..

Return to “Planes”