David Goldman Gets His Son Back!!!!

David Goldman Gets His Son Back!!!!

Postby GOODave » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:20 am

This has been going on for 5 years:
David Goldman's ex wife took their son to Brazil where she remarried a local attorney. She died and Sean's step father refused to allow David to assume custody of his son.

It's been going through the Brazilian courts (already decided in American courts) for almost 2 years now but last night, a Brazilian Judge made the right call: Goldman is already on his way to brazil to get his son.

This is great news. Even Hillary Clinton was on the right side of this (she has interceded with the Brazilian authorities on behalf of David Goldman and his son Sean).

Very good news.
GOODave

Re: David Goldman Gets His Son Back!!!!

Postby Fordama » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:42 pm

GOODave wrote:This has been going on for 5 years:
David Goldman's ex wife took their son to Brazil where she remarried a local attorney. She died and Sean's step father refused to allow David to assume custody of his son.

It's been going through the Brazilian courts (already decided in American courts) for almost 2 years now but last night, a Brazilian Judge made the right call: Goldman is already on his way to brazil to get his son.

This is great news. Even Hillary Clinton was on the right side of this (she has interceded with the Brazilian authorities on behalf of David Goldman and his son Sean).

Very good news.
This is nice. I've seen a couple of news segments on it.

One other drama that is just now starting to get the notice it deserves is North Korea's detention of reporters Euna Lee and Laura Ling (sister of Lisa Ling, formerly of The View.) The North Koreans are trying them for espionage because they allegedly wandered over the Chinise/North Korean border while doing a story on North Korean defectors/refugees.

Fordama
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK
Fordama

It's not over yet...

Postby GOODave » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:54 am

Yesterday, AFTER David Goldman had flown to Brazil to pick up his son, aBrazilian Supreme Court justice suspended the return order from the lower court.

In Brazil, a suspension like this of a lower court order means now the entire Supreme Court has to hear the case and render a decision.

It's all about politics because the boy's Brazilian step father is highly connected and a big-name attorney down there. I cannot imagine David Goldman's frustration at this point. He had already said (on Monday) that he wasn't getting his hopes up until he and Sean were on the plane and the wheels were up because he'd gone down there so many times already...
GOODave

Postby ThomasDad » Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:10 am

From the story:

The two were separated in June 2004, when the boy's Brazilian mother, Bruna Bianchi Carneiro Ribeiro, told Goldman -- to whom she was then married -- that she was taking the boy on a two-week vacation to Brazil.

Mother and son never returned. Instead, Bianchi stayed in Brazil, where she divorced Goldman and remarried a Brazilian lawyer.

But last September, Bianchi's death during childbirth led Goldman to renew his efforts to regain custody of their son.

Sean, who has been living with his half-sister and his stepfather, was to have spent a 30-day adaptation period in the United States prior to his father gaining full custody.

That prospect sparked outrage from a lawyer representing the boy's Brazilian relatives. "The child wasn't heard," lawyer Sergio Tostes said. "The child said many times that he wanted to stay in Brazil. This is not human and it is a cruelty."

The parallels to the Elian Gonzales story are striking. In both cases, the mother took the son from the father with no intention of returning him. In both cases, the mother died. In both cases, relatives in the "new" country insist the boy is better in his new environment than with his natural father in the other country.

Key differences are that Elian's father is Cuban, and that the time they were separated was measured in months, not years.

In the Elian case, plenty of folks were quick to state that a loving environment for a child with distant or non-blood relatives is more important than being in the custody of a loving biological father. Funny how this story--basically, the absence of Castro is the key difference--has some of those same folks arguing on behalf of the importance of biological rights.
ThomasDad

Postby GOODave » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:18 am

ThomasDad wrote:From the story:

The parallels to the Elian Gonzales story are striking. In both cases, the mother took the son from the father with no intention of returning him. In both cases, the mother died. In both cases, relatives in the "new" country insist the boy is better in his new environment than with his natural father in the other country.

Key differences are that Elian's father is Cuban, and that the time they were separated was measured in months, not years.

In the Elian case, plenty of folks were quick to state that a loving environment for a child with distant or non-blood relatives is more important than being in the custody of a loving biological father. Funny how this story--basically, the absence of Castro is the key difference--has some of those same folks arguing on behalf of the importance of biological rights.
Wow: I must still be asleep at the switch to have missed the similarities in those two cases. Do me a favor: Fire one of YOUR interns so I don't have to be confrontational, would'ja?

Time away from his father was one dissimilarity, I agree ... and that's a key one, but another dissimilarity at this point is that Elian was returned to his father. I hope that is the conclusion to the Goldman abduction as well, but it is by no means certain at this point.

I'm also fairly certain the "a loving family away from a bio-parent" protestation was pretty thin and most people could see through it to the real reason: Elian's father wants to make him a communist so it's better he stay here.

dave
GOODave

Postby ThomasDad » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:16 am

GOODave wrote:Time away from his father was one dissimilarity, I agree ... and that's a key one, but another dissimilarity at this point is that Elian was returned to his father. I hope that is the conclusion to the Goldman abduction as well, but it is by no means certain at this point.

I'm also fairly certain the "a loving family away from a bio-parent" protestation was pretty thin and most people could see through it to the real reason: Elian's father wants to make him a communist so it's better he stay here.

The funny thing is, thanks to Elian's noisy and troublesome relatives in Miami, Elian is now a "made" guy in Castro's Cuba.

I am unfamiliar enough with Goldman's story to know what, if any, objections the Brazilan government has with the boy being sent to live with the only parent he has left on this Earth--and yes, I am a step-father as well as a father and I know that step-parenting can be almost as rich and fulfilling, but unless there are extenuating circumstances, step-parenting doesn't trump the rights of the biological parent.

Elian was properly sent home to the father who loves him. Sean Goldman should likewise be reunited with his father.
ThomasDad

Postby GOODave » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:53 am

ThomasDad wrote:The funny thing is, thanks to Elian's noisy and troublesome relatives in Miami, Elian is now a "made" guy in Castro's Cuba.

I am unfamiliar enough with Goldman's story to know what, if any, objections the Brazilan government has with the boy being sent to live with the only parent he has left on this Earth--and yes, I am a step-father as well as a father and I know that step-parenting can be almost as rich and fulfilling, but unless there are extenuating circumstances, step-parenting doesn't trump the rights of the biological parent.

Elian was properly sent home to the father who loves him. Sean Goldman should likewise be reunited with his father.
From what ilttle the Brazilian Government has been so far willing to state publically, I gather they don't really have an issue with returning Sean to his biological father, David.

The repatriation has been mired in the court system for several years, now, because apparently the step father in Brazil is the son of a locally famous and very well-connected attorney (he also works for his father in the law office so maintains some of the same connections vicariously).

Since both Brazil and the United States are similar governmental constructs, I do not understand what argument is being made to keep the boy there: It's not like the step father is afraid he'll be raised a communist and even IF Brazil was upset with the United States because of her President, that president has now changed. So I'm not sure HOW the step-father keeps getting the courts to agree with him.

dave
GOODave

Postby ThomasDad » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:41 pm

All this "I don't know..." and "I'm not sure..." from you--I don't get it. I thought the green skin and pointy ears was supposed to make you wise.
ThomasDad

Postby GOODave » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:57 am

ThomasDad wrote:All this "I don't know..." and "I'm not sure..." from you--I don't get it. I thought the green skin and pointy ears was supposed to make you wise.

Having the knowledge is "knowledgable."

Knowing how to use the knowledge you have is "wise."
GOODave

Postby ThomasDad » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:34 am

Wow! That's wise.
ThomasDad

Postby GOODave » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:38 am

ThomasDad wrote:Wow! That's wise.

Of course.
GOODave

Postby ThomasDad » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:45 am

No wonder chicks dig you.
ThomasDad

Postby GOODave » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:47 am

ThomasDad wrote:No wonder chicks dig you.

You're not recalling that expose accurately. Chicks dig holes and toss me in.

It's the cross I have to bear.
GOODave

Postby Fordama » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:29 am

GOODave wrote:Having the knowledge is "knowledgable."

Knowing how to use the knowledge you have is "wise."
That would look good on one of those motivational posters.

Fordama
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK
Fordama

Postby Parrotpaul » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:37 am

GOODave wrote:Having the knowledge is "knowledgable."
Mmmmm...irony
"Where ignorance is bliss, 'tis folly to be wise." Thomas Gray
Parrotpaul

Postby GOODave » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:48 am

Fordama wrote:That would look good on one of those motivational posters.

Fordama

You mean like this?

(I think that photo probably needs some work, don't you?)
GOODave

Postby GOODave » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:07 pm

A more recent update on David Goldman's struggle to get his son back.
I was not aware that his wife and son (and her parents) were going to Brazil on a VACATION and she called him 2 days into the vacation to tell him she was never returning...

That is definitely a kidnapping, IMO.
GOODave

Postby ThomasDad » Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:15 am

GOODave wrote:A more recent update on David Goldman's struggle to get his son back.
I was not aware that his wife and son (and her parents) were going to Brazil on a VACATION and she called him 2 days into the vacation to tell him she was never returning...

That is definitely a kidnapping, IMO.

Yeah, that is the part which has really made me dislike the Brazilian judicial system. She took the boy to another country (though I think he had dual citizenship) on false pretenses, and there was never any evidence of parental abuse by David. This should never have been an issue, and it should never have lasted five years.
ThomasDad

Postby GOODave » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:20 pm

Just saw on Fox Newsthat both David Goldman AND his congressman, Chris Johnson (?) from New Jersey are talking with the chief justice of the Brazil Supreme Court. The Chief Justice will, according to the congressman, review the case as early as today (Monday) and if his review is favorable, Sean and David could STILL be home in New Jersey for Christmas.
GOODave

Postby SoMelo » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:28 pm

Brazilian child custody decision delayed
(CNN) -- A Brazilian Supreme Court decision in an international custody battle was delayed until Tuesday, said Orna Blum, a spokeswoman at the U.S. Embassy in Brasilia.

David Goldman has been locked in a legal battle over custody of his 9-year-old son, Sean, with the family of the boy's deceased mother.

Last week, a lower court unanimously upheld a decision ordering that Sean be returned to his father in New Jersey.

David Goldman arrived in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, to be reunited with his son, but one of the justices issued a stay, ordering Sean to remain with his Brazilian relatives until the high court could consider the case.

On Sunday, Brazilian Chief Justice Gilmar Mendes said he would make the final decision on Monday.

The custody battle began in 2004, when Goldman's wife, Bruna Bianchi, took their then 4-year-old son from their home in New Jersey to Rio de Janeiro for what was to have been a two-week vacation. She never returned. Instead she remarried there and retained custody of Sean. She died last year in childbirth.

Goldman has argued that as the sole surviving parent, he should be granted custody.

The Bianchi family argues it would traumatize Sean to remove him from what has been his home for five years.

While the chief justice studies the case, Brazilian Attorney General Luis Inacio Adams said that the executive branch sides with Goldman.

"Once we stop cooperating and start breaking our treaties and international obligations, Brazil risks the chance of not having its own requests in the matters regarding international judicial help granted, based on the principle of international reciprocity," Adams said Monday.

"Not releasing the minor into the custody of his father could bring sanctions against Brazil," he added. "It could damage Brazil's image before the international community."

The Bianchi family, which has invited Goldman to spend Christmas with them, has prepared the necessary paperwork to file an appeal immediately if the court finds against them.
SoMelo

Next

Return to World