Slowness

Board news and lame excuses
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Slowness

Post by John Q. Public »

Yes, I'm perfectly aware that we've been having connection problems again. I'm assuming that it's the same problem as last time with whatever the other site is that's sucking up all of the server's CPU power, so I've requested that the site be moved to a different server. Hopefully, that will fix things.

But... moving can present a whole new set of problems, too. There's no telling if we might have the same kind of neighbors on the new server and there could be other problems too, like broken scripts and associated hiccups. But I'll be backing everything up and hopefully everything will go smoothly and I won't have to spend my weekend - or next week, depending on when the move happens happens - trying to fix things.

:: crossing fingers ::
Don't look at me, I just work here.
GOODave

Re: Slowness

Post by GOODave »

John Q. Public wrote:Yes, I'm perfectly aware that we've been having connection problems again. I'm assuming that it's the same problem as last time with whatever the other site is that's sucking up all of the server's CPU power, so I've requested that the site be moved to a different server. Hopefully, that will fix things.

But... moving can present a whole new set of problems, too. There's no telling if we might have the same kind of neighbors on the new server and there could be other problems too, like broken scripts and associated hiccups. But I'll be backing everything up and hopefully everything will go smoothly and I won't have to spend my weekend - or next week, depending on when the move happens happens - trying to fix things.

:: crossing fingers ::
My uploads and access is, if any different at all, faster.
--:--

I've got no complaints.
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

It's fine once you connect, but the response to the initial pings has been miserable, lately.
Luca

Post by Luca »

My interest was temporarily piqued when I dropped by and thought you were initiating a thread about some of this site's more ideologically rigid political commentators. Sorry. Luca
GOODave

Post by GOODave »

Luca wrote:My interest was temporarily piqued when I dropped by and thought you were initiating a thread about some of this site's more ideologically rigid political commentators. Sorry. Luca
Now AH don' care WHO y'are ... that right there is FUNNY! :ROFL:
Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul »

John Q. Public wrote:It's fine once you connect, but the response to the initial pings has been miserable, lately.
I have found I can usually get on the board, but posting responses or trying to post threads of late is difficult at times....the thing just grinds and grinds until it shuts down and say the site isn't available.

Today has been a real challenge, though...getting onto the board has been a problem as has posting responses once I'm logged on.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke
SoMelo

Post by SoMelo »

Weird stuff going on.. Yesterday I had double banners at the top. This particular thread it's at the bottom and the reply was already open *(What does Full Editor do?)
Parrotpaul

Post by Parrotpaul »

It's still happening. It has been hard to get on this afternoon, and over the past few days I have gotten this screen several times.

500 Error - Internal Server Error

An error occured while accessing this file or directory.

If you feel you have reached this in error, please e-mail the webmaster.

The OC Connect Community Forums

Home

But once I get hooked up, responding to a post is a chore, because it doesn't like to post it. I find I can kind of give it a kick in the ass sometimes if I click "active topics" whlie it's grinding away. That somehow gets it posted...but not every time.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke
ND7

Post by ND7 »

Parrotpaul wrote:It's still happening. It has been hard to get on this afternoon, and over the past few days I have gotten this screen several times.

Home

But once I get hooked up, responding to a post is a chore, because it doesn't like to post it. I find I can kind of give it a kick in the ass sometimes if I click "active topics" whlie it's grinding away. That somehow gets it posted...but not every time.
Sheesh Paul........that is way more information than we needed. :shock:
"What matters is not that it's true, but that I believe it; or no, not that I believe it, but that I believe it....I trust I make myself obscure."
St. Thomas More, A Man for All Seasons.
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

SoMelo wrote:Weird stuff going on.. Yesterday I had double banners at the top. This particular thread it's at the bottom and the reply was already open *(What does Full Editor do?)
It took me a while but I figured out what you're talking about. And the answers basically boil down to laziness/lack of time/flakiness on my part.

Double banners - You'll see them on some forums because I've assigned them that way. At the top, you'll see my own banner for my friends' businesses (just because I'm that kind of guy) and maybe a smaller one that I get paid for if somebody buys something. At the bottom, you'll see a line of (pretty much worthless) text ads and a banner. Since clicks are so rare and I make more money from exposures, I'd replace the text ads with more banners but that would look really stupid, so I'm not going to do that. Maybe one of these days I'll get around to re-arranging them.

Full Editor - Some of the forums have a "Quick Reply" box at the bottom of the posts. I don't even recall enabling or disabling them but apparently I did. And I have no idea if people use them or not. "Full Editor" sends you to the standard reply page with all of the buttons and smileys.
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

Parrotpaul wrote:It's still happening. It has been hard to get on this afternoon, and over the past few days I have gotten this screen several times.

Home

Yeah, I know. I've been seeing it, too. Like I said before, there seems to be another site that's sucking up all of the server's CPU power. I put in a request to be moved to a different server on 8/6 but it hasn't happened yet. It said we're 5th in line and I have no idea if that means we have to wait until they get around to it, if we have to wait until space becomes available on another machine or if it means we have to wait until they expand their capacity. Hopefully we'll see a difference when it does happen.

All I can say is "be patient." I, personally, click the "Stop" button and wait a few seconds but whatever works.
Wiley

Post by Wiley »

I started copying my replies so I could paste in the event of a crash.
"If you love me you've got to help me pass this bill." - Barak Obama
SLK230

Post by SLK230 »

JQP

Why do I have a black dot in the left most column of the "Active Topics" list page. If I run my cursor over it it says "no new posts". I find this mostly on my topics.

It is also on topics where there plenty of new posts so the "No new Post" dot doesn't make sense. (To me)
Thought for the day:
We are always hearing about how Social Security is going to run out of money.
How come we never hear about Welfare running out of money?
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

SLK230 wrote:JQP

Why do I have a black dot in the left most column of the "Active Topics" list page. If I run my cursor over it it says "no new posts". I find this mostly on my topics.

It is also on topics where there plenty of new posts so the "No new Post" dot doesn't make sense. (To me)
The black dot means you've posted in the thread. The difference between the new posts/no new posts icons is the one for new posts has a yellow piece of paper looking thing in the middle, while in the no new posts one it's grayed out.

There's a legend of them at the bottom of the forum listings (except for the ones with the dots.)
SLK230

Post by SLK230 »

John Q. Public wrote: The black dot means you've posted in the thread. The difference between the new posts/no new posts icons is the one for new posts has a yellow piece of paper looking thing in the middle, while in the no new posts one it's grayed out.

There's a legend of them at the bottom of the forum listings (except for the ones with the dots.)
Thank you JQP.
Thought for the day:
We are always hearing about how Social Security is going to run out of money.
How come we never hear about Welfare running out of money?
Bobby G.

Post by Bobby G. »

John Q. Public wrote:It's fine once you connect, but the response to the initial pings has been miserable, lately.
No, it's not fine once you connect and miserable does not quite describe it.

I've gotten an internal server error at least a dozen times in the past three days (500-error) going page to page. Add to this the number of times there's a >20 second wait for a page to load and it's become nearly unbearable. A lot of this explains the huge number of double posts on the boards.

You will lose more and more 'looks' as people tire of the wait. Know too the bots are taking notes.

Needs to be said; you're getting screwed by your host.

Bobby G.
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

I know it's still there and I want it to go away as much as anybody else does. I've been searching and reading and searching and reading for a week or so and I think I might have found a solution but I won't even be able to try to do any experimenting for a day or so. Please bear with me.
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

Ok, I spent most of the day under the hood tinkering and jiggling wires and about all I can say is --:-- .

I haven't been able to find anything in any documentation or on any forum or wiki about this particular problem but I've at least been able to reduce the frequency and duration of the errors that seem to be causing the problem. I can't say that it's fixed but it does seem to be better. We'll see what tomorrow brings.

But the good news is that somebody clicked a really, really good ad and I got paid 50¢ for my trouble. :cheers: to whoever it was.
sbayhills

Post by sbayhills »

John Q. Public wrote:Ok, I spent most of the day under the hood tinkering and jiggling wires and about all I can say is --:-- .

But the good news is that somebody clicked a really, really good ad and I got paid 50¢ for my trouble. :cheers: to whoever it was.
I clicked the Eric Clapton ad, and it directed me to Amazon about his new album coming out Sept. 28th. If they would have been ready for me to click and figure out if this was new material, or another re-hash of his greatest hits, they might have made a sale!
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Post by John Q. Public »

I sent this to Tech Support tonight:

Ok, I searched your forum and your wiki and couldn't find a solution. I searched phpBB's forum and found only one post from another Dreamhost customer who apparently gave up because her site is dead, and once again, no solution.

So I googled "Script timed out before returning headers: php5.cgi" and I found hundreds of forum and blog posts that said "Script timed out before returning headers: php5.cgi on Dreamhost." Everybody seemed to have the same story: The problem had come from out of nowhere, they'd contacted Tech Support and were told that everything is fine on Dreamhost's side so it must be a third-party software issue and they were on their own. But the consensus was that it isn't a third-party software issue, the blame lies squarely with Dreamhost and the only solution is to find a new host. Is that what you were trying to tell me?

I really don't feel like packing everything up and moving, but... anybody know a good host?