The 2017 OC Connect High School Football pool starts Thursday 8/24

Get your predictions in here!

Click the X at the upper right to dismiss this message.

New Google search box experiment

Board news and lame excuses
John Q. Public
Site Admin

New Google search box experiment

Postby John Q. Public » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:43 am

I added a new Google search box over on the sidebar. It's only on the default desktop style right now but it might appear on the mobile version also, depending on feedback and performance.

I'm always seeing complaints - mainly from forum owners - about the native search functions in forum software. Many boards have dropped them altogether and replaced them with Google site searches, so I figured I'd give it a try.

The first difference I noticed is that it's way faster than the native search, and maybe more thorough. The second difference is that there's ads at the top, but hey, that's the way Google works. The third is that it's heavily weighted to the search term being in the title, where the native search weighs all instances equally. So a search for "criminal media" might give you 5 year old posts with that term in the title first and one from yesterday where it was in a post might be listed on the 5th page. I guess that shows the importance of a good title.

Search results show over the current page, so you'll still have the option of right-clicking and opening the link in a new tab if you don't want to leave the page. And the standard search is still available if you prefer it or if you want to try both.

All feedback on the search box is welcome. Feedback on other subjects, not so much.

Don't look at me, I just work here.

Parrotpaul

Re: New Google search box experiment

Postby Parrotpaul » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:49 am

Excellent addition...I like it.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:44 am

Has anybody used this? Any feedback on it? I don't get any meaningful reports on it, so I don't know how much it's being used. It is faster, but what I've noticed about it is that the posts aren't dated, it doesn't give you previews like the native search function does and it seems to be weighted toward your search terms appearing in the titles (which only goes to show the importance of using good descriptive titles). It doesn't take up much space or delay the loading time, so I don't see any reason to drop it, but I'm curious what people think about its performance.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

Parrotpaul

Postby Parrotpaul » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:37 pm

I searched a few things, and for the most part the results prioritize themselves by defaulting to "Custom Google ads." I probably wouldn't use it...I have a Google search engine on my toolbar...much better results. Kind of a waste of space...assuming most posters have computers with tool bars containing their favorite search engine...can't speak for mobile devices...still find them more of an excessive pain in the ass than a positive to my life.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

Return to “Welcome and Board Announcements”