New <embed> Plug-in

Board news and lame excuses
John Q. Public
Site Admin

New <embed> Plug-in

Postby John Q. Public » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:12 am

I went looking for a plug-in that would embed a :steam: tweet and boy, did I find one. It does that and a whole lot more. And even better, you don't even have to push a button. Just paste the URL (not the <embed> code) of whatever you're embedding and there's your video. Or your tweet. Or your Soundcloud playlist. Or your Amazon product listing. Or your whatever else this thing will embed. There's a lot - and I've only experimented with a few of them.

Here's the list:
ABC News, Amazon Product, audioBoom, Audiomack, Bandcamp, BBC News, Blab, Bleacher Report videos, Break, Brightcove, CBS News Video, CNBC, CNN, CNNMoney, CollegeHumor, Comedy Central, Coub, Dailymotion, Democracy Now!, dumpert, 8tracks, ESPN, Facebook, Flickr, FORA.tv, Fox News, Funny or Die, Gamespot, GameTrailers, Getty Images, Gfycat, Gifs.com, GitHub Gist, Global News, GoFundMe, Google Drive, Google+, Google Sheets, Healthguru, Hudl, Hulu, HumorTV, IGN, IMDb, Imgur, Indiegogo, Instagram, Internet Archive, İzlesene, JW Platform, Kontinental Hockey League (КХЛ), Kickstarter, Kiss Video, Libsyn, LiveCap, LiveLeak, Livestream, Mail.Ru, Medium, Metacafe, Mixcloud, MLB, MRCTV, MSNBC, National Geographic Channel, National Geographic Video, NBC News, NBC Sports, NHL Videos and Highlights, NPR, The New York Times Video, Oddshot, Pastebin, Pinterest, Plays.tv, Podbean, Prezi, Reddit threads and comments, Rutube, Scribd, SlideShare, SoundCloud, Sportsnet, Spotify, Steam store, Stitcher, Straw Poll, Streamable, Team Coco, TED Talks, The Atlantic Video, The Guardian, The Onion, TinyPic videos, TMZ, Trailer Addict, Tumblr, Twitch, Twitter, Ustream, VBOX7, Veoh, VEVO, Viagame, Video Detective, Videomega, vidme, Vimeo, Vine, VK, Vocaroo, Vox, Washington Post Video, WorldStarHipHop, The Wall Street Journal Online, XboxClips, Xbox DVR, Yahoo! Screen, Youku, YouTube, Zippyshare audio files.

Give it a try, but PLEASE use the Preview button before posting. You never know what you might actually get and I don't want to have to be going in and fixing people's mistakes.

And what better way to demo a new <embed> plug-in than by posting a video of a guy <embedding> his car in a second-story window? Thanks, OCFirefighters!

Don't look at me, I just work here.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Re: New <embed> Plug-in

Postby John Q. Public » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:18 pm

Another example of what can be done with this thing. This was a live stream (now a rerun) of a football game some of us might have watched. This one comes from Facebook but it also does NBC Sports, which the Facebook embed came from, so I wouldn't be surprised if we could do real, live, live streams directly on the board.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:19 pm

How about a Hudl video that we could only post as a link before?

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:56 pm

There seems to be a small problem with this plug-in but I'm not sure if it's visible to anyone or not. Since I installed it, my log reports have been showing literally thousands of "file not found" errors per day for the file that controls how the pages look. The error is coming up for all styles and platforms and it's coming up often enough that we should all be seeing it. I haven't. Has anyone?

If the file were truly not loading, the pages would look like this:

Screenshot-2018-1-21 Orange County Forums - Active topics.jpg

Is anyone getting that?

If it's a problem for anyone, I guess I should look into figuring out how to avoid it. If it isn't anything visible, I don't think I'll worry about it for the time being.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:17 am

I assume the lack of interest means it isn't a problem?

Professor Fate

Postby Professor Fate » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:45 pm

I only tried to use it once, and failed. I think it's just smarter than I am, so I was probably not doing it right. No kids at home to show me how, and I didn't really have a problem with the way it works without it. Can't remember what happened when I tried it...just that it didn't work.
Well, obviously we have giant butterflies in CA. They's climbin' in your windows, They's snatchin' your people up, tryin' to steal 'em. So y'all need to hide your kids, hide your stars, and hide your coaches cause they're grabin' everybody out here.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:25 pm

It should work just by pasting the page URL. For sites it supports, which is a much longer list than the button. But I see it doesn't do C-Span. A whole lot of others, though. I think the next software update will have most of it built in. If I ever get to do it.

No formatting problems, though? 5,000 errors yesterday. On a Sunday. Normal is 30, tops.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:37 pm

I think I found the problem. There seems to be a conflict with the American English language pack. But rather than deleting it and switching evourybody to British English, I think I'll just say "no biggie" unless somebody complains.

shreader

Postby shreader » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:56 am

Giving it a try w/ the Jonny Cash & June Carter song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3NJC18Oi04&feature=youtu.be

shreader

Postby shreader » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:47 am

Dang, the URL shows up, think I'll try D&D a image this time
D&D worked so did the Add Files Button (showing)
(I dumped the D&D file)
Good job JohnQ
Attachments
Daring Jumping Spider_ 2Another (3)b.jpg

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:41 am

Sometimes you have to reload the page for YouTubes to show up. I assume it's a browser caching issue. But I'm very happy with the plug-in. I'm planning on getting some use out of it for live feeds next season. :D

Return to “Welcome and Board Announcements”