Formula One Racing

crayegg
Oversight Committee

Formula One Racing

Postby crayegg » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:55 pm

Now to Germany.

Rain.

I saw the last practice where things were drying out. Ferrari and Red Bull stepped up. McLaren,not so much.

Bridgestone brought the ultra soft and the ultra hard tires, both must be used.

Qualifying tomorrow morning should be great.

The race on Sunday should be even better.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Re: Formula One Racing

Postby John Q. Public » Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:09 am

Could you get them to run the races a little later? Yes, I know that all but two of them are run on the other side of the planet but I love watching F1 and I can never remember to turn the TV on at 5:00 AM.

I just wish the Speed Channel would bring back Rally Racing. That's really fun to watch.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

not4u13

Postby not4u13 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:37 am

Ralley racing is fun.

I don't much care for F1. Its alright I guess. While I do prefer road racing generally, there is just something compelling about the bumping and grinding that is NASCAR. NASCAR requires skill ... but it requires more pure grit. Those green/white/cheker restarts are just amazing!!
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir
http://www.quotesdaddy.com

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:09 am

not4u13 wrote:Ralley racing is fun.

I don't much care for F1. Its alright I guess. While I do prefer road racing generally, there is just something compelling about the bumping and grinding that is NASCAR. NASCAR requires skill ... but it requires more pure grit. Those green/white/cheker restarts are just amazing!!

Yeah, NASCAR's good down-n-dirty head-to-head racing but there's just something about F1 that the others can't match. I don't know if it's the sound (18,000 RPM!), the technology, the skill involved in piloting one of those things around a track - in traffic - or its internationalosity (to use an Al Sharpton word) but I gotta say I prefer it.

crayegg
Oversight Committee

Postby crayegg » Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:07 pm

John Q. Public wrote:Could you get them to run the races a little later? Yes, I know that all but two of them are run on the other side of the planet but I love watching F1 and I can never remember to turn the TV on at 5:00 AM.

I just wish the Speed Channel would bring back Rally Racing. That's really fun to watch.

It's all about DVR nowadays. Back in the day I actually used to set my alarm at 4 am to watch the races around the world on Sunday morning. DVR has made life so much better.

Now back to the German Grand Prix.

Local boy Vettel commands the pole. Ferrari's Alonzo in second. Red bull and Ferrari battling in Germany, awesome.

What I love about F1 is the innovation. This is absolutely the pinnacle of motorsports. The upgrades during the season are awesome, even with the stringent regs. Just think about it, 18,000 rpm's, and it all comes down to the bodywork, the Red Bull front wing, F-duct, Mercedes new rear wing, etc, etc. The most technological racing in the world. Literally, these cars have enough down force to drive upside down in a tunnel at 70 mph, just like in MIB II.

crayegg
Oversight Committee

Postby crayegg » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:46 pm

Hungary, Budapest.

Red Bull once again dominates qualifying. Sebastian Vettle takes the pole, again, with Mark Weber in second, again, and the rest of the field nearly a second behind. Do the Ferraris have anything for them? Most likely no, but would love to see Phillipe Massa do well, after being almost killed last year and having to give up the win on team orders last week.

Flexible front wings notwithstanding, Mc Claren far behind (the blown diffuser seems to be helping the bottom teams, but not so much up front), should be interesting.

7:30 am eastern Sunday will tell the tale (thank goodness for DVR).

Calibaby

Postby Calibaby » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:03 am

John Q. Public wrote:but I love watching F1 and I can never remember to turn the TV on at 5:00 AM...

How can someone who has the technical knowledge to run a website like this not own a DVR? :wink:

I mean, I can understand someone like PP, with whiteout all over his computer screen and his collection of laserdiscs stacked in the corner, not having a DVR or having one and not being able to figure out how to use it. But you, JQP, really??

Red

Postby Red » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:14 am

John Q. Public wrote:Could you get them to run the races a little later? Yes, I know that all but two of them are run on the other side of the planet but I love watching F1 and I can never remember to turn the TV on at 5:00 AM.

Don't you have DVR?

Oops, Cali beat me to it.

crayegg
Oversight Committee

Postby crayegg » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:17 pm

August, a month off for F1. Unlike NASCAR that has the longest season in professional sports, F1 takes a midsummer break from Budapest to Spa. It will be interesting to see what the constructors come up with during the break. And you know they will.

F1 is the most technologically advanced sport in the world.

(I know I'm mostly talking to myself, whatever.)

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:10 am

crayegg wrote:(I know I'm mostly talking to myself, whatever.)

Nope. I'm here. Not too talkative, though.

Now you, too, can own an (almost) F1 car of your own! Floor mats extra.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsjVOowSTbA[/youtube]

Lotus T125: F1 for the serious (and wealthy) fan (Autoweek)

crayegg
Oversight Committee

Postby crayegg » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:38 am

Nice. I'll take two. :shock:

crayegg
Oversight Committee

Postby crayegg » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:46 pm

Korea, oh my goodness. Looks like it will happen after all, two week old asphalt notwithstanding.

Still 5 guys duking it out for the championship.

Redbull on top. Ferrari and McClaren still lurking. The wildcard of Korea. All the politics of F1...

crayegg
Oversight Committee

Postby crayegg » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:51 pm

Oh my goodness.

Once again, qualifying is more exciting than the race.

Rain, rain rain.

After two hours of safety car, the race commences.

Less than an hour later on Speed TV, we had a real race, but cut way too short.

Then online we find that Alonzo won. Vettel blew up, Webber crashed, Hamilton finished third. Bring on the last two races to decide the driver championship. (Red Bull owns the constructor race.)

crayegg
Oversight Committee

Postby crayegg » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:02 am

What an epic season in F1.

Four drivers in the hunt in the last race, although in reality it was only Alonzo, Webber and Vettle, Hamilton really had no chance and Button was out last week in Brazil.

Seb gets pole and wins the driver's championship. Alonzo and Webber finish the last race way down on the matrix.

Three world champions on the podium in the last race, Vettle, 2010, Button 2009 and Hamilton 2008. Awesome.

Congrats to the young German, the youngest driver ever to win a F1 championship.

Looking back, Red Bull was clearly dominate. But of course Hello Kitty rocks! happens. Vettle and Webber took each other out in Turkey. Massa obey's team orders for Alonzo for seven championship points. Webber hits the wall in Korea and Vettle blows up. You can't script this stuff. Coming down to the wire, it looked like Red Bull should have had Vettle give up the points to Webber, but Red Bull said no, let the drivers decide it. It all worked out, Red Bull gets both the constructor championship and the driver championship with Vettle with a win in Abu Dhabi.

Next year will be very interesting with the technical regs, no more F-duct, diffuser restrictions, etc. And the bottom teams improving, Lotus (though they will not be called Lotus), HRT and Virgin making gains.

Formula One kicks ass, the best of the best in motorsports.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:41 am

I finally got to watch one! Not too exciting of a race, though. I think Hamilton was the only person I saw pass anybody. I was disappointed that Alonzo and Webber finished so far back.

Return to “Motorsports”