Daytona 500

crayegg
Oversight Committee

Daytona 500

Postby crayegg » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:45 am

Unfreaking believable.

Sunday, the first and biggest race of the NASCAR season, gets rained out for the first time in its 53 year history.

So we get to racing Monday night, lap 1.5 someone (Elliot Sandler) makes a bonehead move and wrecks the field, including Jimmie Johnson and Danika Patrick.

Good hard racing for the next three quarters of the race.

Then with some 40+ laps to go, UNDER THE YELLOW FLAG (Caution), Juan Pablo Montoya is trying to catch up with the pack for a restart. Something is wrong with his car, he's had a weird vibration for a while, his car breaks down and he slides into a jetdryer blowing debris off the race track. Mushroom cloud. The jetdryer is a military helicopter jet engine that uses its exhaust to dry the track and/or blow debris. It sports 200 gallons of jet fuel. Massive conflagration that literally melts the race track. Two hours and some Bondo later, back to racing.

More wrecks to come at the end. Green/white/checker.

At the end, Greg Biffle (who bears a striking resemblance to oceanview) sticks with his teammate Matt Kenseth instead of bailing to let Dale Jr. push him to the win. Dale figures he's gonna have to do it himself if he's gonna win, pulls out of the draft in turn four, side drafts Biffle to take second but can't get to Kenseth who wins the DAYTONA 500

I say again, unfreaking believable.

See ya in Phoenix, then a couple weeks later Fontucky.

Parrotpaul

Re: Daytona 500

Postby Parrotpaul » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:17 am

Here's some great footage and coverage of the crash at Daytona

Full screen and speakers.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

Return to “Motorsports”