Tony Stewart kills driver in New York

not4u13

Tony Stewart kills driver in New York

Postby not4u13 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:58 am

Tiny Stewart loves driving. So much so that he still drives the short dirt track races in ghose little open wheel sprint cars. During one of those races last night, he made contact with another car putting them out of the race. The driver, Kevin Ward Jr., walked out onto the track to yell at Stewart as he came by. As Stewart passed by closely, the rear end of the car swung out and the rear tire stuck and killed Ward. There is some question as to intent.

What did Stewart see? Was he trying to get close and just got too close?

Stewart has pulled out of the NASCAR race for today. Investigation is ongoing.

I'm not sure why Stewart would be allowed to drive in those events.

Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir
http://www.quotesdaddy.com

Fordama

Re: Tony Stewart kills driver in New York

Postby Fordama » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:18 am

My guess is that he cut it too close.

However, that guy was a complete idiot for jumping out of his car and going so far down on the track. He practically jumped into the traffic.

Fordama
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:59 am

The article I read last night said Stewart's car was sideways when he hit Ward. I don't know dirt track racing very well, but it seems odd that he'd have been sideways under a yellow flag.

It isn't unusual for NASCAR drivers to drive in "minor league" races. A lot of them do it. I wouldn't think their sponsors or NASCAR would be all that happy with their putting themselves at risk like that. I wonder if he might lose a sponsor or two over this.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

not4u13

Postby not4u13 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:33 am

Complete tragedy all around. These winged sprint cars are a real challenge to drive. Apparently a big part of the turning is tapping the gas to push the car sideways. You see how they drive these things around every corner. The car is set up that way. Turning the wheel does little to actually turn the car. It is more of a stablizing force. What they are now saying is that Stewart saw the kid at the last minute and tried to goose the gas to get around him but it was too late. Maybe Steward panicked a little and hit the gas too hard and maybe the kid got too close to start with. Probably a bit of both. Few close to the sport think it was intentional. Fans are saying something different, depending on whether they like Stewart or not.

As far as racing the circuit, I understand that some drivers do this. I wonder why Stewart continues given his history of spectacular crashes in these sprint cars.
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir

Parrotpaul

Postby Parrotpaul » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:22 am

I played speedway photographer at Beechridge Speedway in Scarborough, Maine the summer of 1974...dirt track...rowdy crowd, and crazy drivers. I was on a dirt berm in the infield on the number one turn one Saturday night, and a sprint car driver named Bob Bushley Jr. came down the straight and hit a wall going about 90. A bunch of us rushed to his car...it wasn't pretty, and he was dead. Dirt track drivers slide their cars through all the turns...V8 power all the way...going sideways is probably a little over the top with a yellow flag flying, but the dirt track drivers I always watched were hungry, daring, crazy, and many of them got progressively drunker as the night progressed....these guys would drive several races a night, and track officials didn't have the manpower nor the savvy to watch what these guys were doing between races. Guy named Dick Wolstenhume was one of those wildmen...won a whole lot of races, but like many others, he did what had to be done to win, and much of that stuff was against the rules, and it was pretty well-known, Dick got better as he got drunker. These guys were hell bent to win races, and nothing stopped them.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

not4u13

Postby not4u13 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:19 pm

Great race at Watkins Glenn today. Super happy for the elated AJ Almendinger. I think it was wise for Stewart to pull out of the race. Wondering what Bass Pro Shops is feeling like right now as a sponsor. The next few days will be critical.

It seems pretty clear that there will be no criminal charges at this point. I'm pretty convinced from what I am seeing and hearing that there was no intent by Stewart, but the first look at the video (before it was edited down by ESPN) makes Stewart look pretty bad.

Some of the commentators today, including NASCAR legend Ricky Craven, suggested implementing heavy fines for drivers that get out of their car to approach other drivers, unless there is an immediate threat to life safety. Sounds like a good idea, but I doubt it would have much affect. Drivers that do this are doing it out of impulse and anger. They already aren't thinking straight and no fine will change that.

Sad and tragic. 20 years old. Done.

not4u13

Postby not4u13 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:05 pm

New slow motion video seems to show Ward trying to grab the wing and step onto the car. Hard to imagine why.

crayegg
Oversight Committee

Postby crayegg » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:45 am

I just saw the unedited video. Not good. The kid was an idiot, he almost got hit by several cars before Stewart got there. There is speculation that Stewart was trying to "stone" him, that is spray him with dirt from the spinning rear wheels. I really don't believe Stewart was trying to hit him, but things went horribly wrong. Again, young Mr. Ward had no business being that far into the track.

crayegg
Oversight Committee

Postby crayegg » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:49 am

Not4u, thanks for the heads up on AJ at Watkins Glen. With the extended red flag, my DVR shut off with three laps to go. I thought for sure Ambrose was going to get it. They get some spectacular crashes at the Glen. The entire rear end housing hanging off the fence, wow. Everybody walked away.

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:50 am

Charles Darwin has spoken. Most normal people I know would have been moving themselves to a part of the track where there no fast moving objects weighing several hundred pounds.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:01 am

Wabash, as terrible as this incident turned out, I agree. Losing one's temper almost always gets you in trouble, and sometimes it gets you killed.

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:09 am

I'm not calloused to not have any remorse over his demise. It is unfortunate that he died at such a young age.

Racing is dangerous enough as it is. Running around an active racetrack only heightens that danger. What he was doing had very few positive outcomes.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Return to “Motorsports”