Word of warning

Board news and lame excuses

Word of warning

Postby John Q. Public » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:47 pm

Starting about two weeks ago and running until about New Years, I'll have absolutely no time to babysit.

So here's the deal: If I see any posts I consider to be offensive or contrary to the RULES that you all agreed to when you signed up, the offending person or persons will be warned and the entire thread will be deleted. I apologize in advance to the people who put thought and consideration into their posts but I don't have any choice. I refuse to waste what little free time I have cleaning up after people who don't know how to behave in public.
Don't look at me, I just work here.
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Re: Word of warning

Postby John Q. Public » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:28 am

Bump, and a click on the "Global Announcement" box, because more than 19 people need to read it.
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby Parrotpaul » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:54 pm

Got it.
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines R.W. Emerson
Parrotpaul

Postby RPW » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:24 am

I see an ass kicking coming.
I am The Voice of Reason
RPW

Postby oceanvue » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:44 am

what's more important than babysitting us?
oceanvue

Postby SoMelo » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:47 am

oceanvue wrote:what's more important than babysitting us?

[font=Comic Sans MS]Foreign Babe[/font]
SoMelo

Postby Wiley » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:48 pm

Don't understand why you'd find it necessary to shut down the high school forum and clean out ALL the post history. I also don't understand why you'd find it necessary to warn a poster by treating a standard colloquialism as a verbatim reference from the dictionary. You might consider opening up the forum to discussion or debating a few things rather than assuming you have a control problem.
[center]"If you love me you've got to help me pass this bill." - Barak Obama[/center]
Wiley

Postby crayegg » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:34 pm

oceanvue wrote:
what's more important than babysitting us?

Directed to oceanvue:

Luv your new Icon, though you will always be the Head to me.

You crack me up, dude. :thumbsup:
Last edited by crayegg on Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
crayegg
Oversight Committee

Postby John Q. Public » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:49 am

Wiley wrote:Don't understand why you'd find it necessary to shut down the high school forum and clean out ALL the post history. I also don't understand why you'd find it necessary to warn a poster by treating a standard colloquialism as a verbatim reference from the dictionary. You might consider opening up the forum to discussion or debating a few things rather than assuming you have a control problem.

I only locked the High School Sports forum; I didn't clean out any history. I wouldn't even know how to do that. And I don't have a control problem. But I do have a problem with people posting vulgarities on my web site. The Rules state, "If you wouldn't say it to your mother, don't say it here." Is your "colloquialism" something you'd say to your mom? Is it something you'd say when speaking to a group of children? This is a PUBLIC forum, there are no age requirements and the demographic data I get says there's a very significant number of kids who read the site. I think we all need to keep that in mind.
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby not4u13 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:58 am

John Q. Public wrote:
I only locked the High School Sports forum; I didn't clean out any history. I wouldn't even know how to do that. And I don't have a control problem. But I do have a problem with people posting vulgarities on my web site. The Rules state, "If you wouldn't say it to your mother, don't say it here." Is your "colloquialism" something you'd say to your mom? Is it something you'd say when speaking to a group of children? This is a PUBLIC forum, there are no age requirements and the demographic data I get says there's a very significant number of kids who read the site. I think we all need to keep that in mind.

This is not the local bar or the locker room at "the club". I am repeatedly suprised the folks can't seem to remember that and keep themselves in check. It shouldn't be that difficult, but it apparently is.
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir
http://www.quotesdaddy.com
not4u13

Postby Bick » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:44 am

not4u13 wrote:
This is not the local bar or the locker room at "the club". I am repeatedly suprised the folks can't seem to remember that and keep themselves in check. It shouldn't be that difficult, but it apparently is.

The problem with the approach is similar to what lawmakers do because of a few...penalize everyone.

A better answer would be to hire more police.
Bick

Postby The Pool Man » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:54 am

John Q. Public wrote:I only locked the High School Sports forum; I didn't clean out any history. I wouldn't even know how to do that. And I don't have a control problem. But I do have a problem with people posting vulgarities on my web site. The Rules state, "If you wouldn't say it to your mother, don't say it here." Is your "colloquialism" something you'd say to your mom? Is it something you'd say when speaking to a group of children? This is a PUBLIC forum, there are no age requirements and the demographic data I get says there's a very significant number of kids who read the site. I think we all need to keep that in mind.

Would appear you didn't know how to not do that.

Pool Man
[center]We all have floorboards. We all have secrets beneath them.[/center]
The Pool Man

Postby John Q. Public » Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:13 am

Bick wrote:A better answer would be to hire more police.

Yeah ok "hire." :ROFL:

I'm still trying to figure out how to finance moving to a new host. :(
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby Brooke » Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:26 am

John Q. Public wrote:Yeah ok "hire." :ROFL:

Why don't you charge forum members for using it? I would rather pay and get a faster board than endure the frustration of putting up with all the error messages. And, it would be nice if each post was numbered.
'The two pillars of 'political correctness' are:
a) willful ignorance
b) a steadfast refusal to face the truth
George MacDonald
Brooke

Postby Bick » Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:55 pm

'Twas tongue in cheek, boss. Atgreek volunteered, and I think a few other guys you can trust would be willing to step in to help you out. You might consider a sub-forum of the various leagues and recruit a volunteer to moderate each sub-forum. The reason the Empire League thread is so long is some good stuff would get lost in the drivel elsewhere on the HS forum.

BTW - thanks for doing this. Shhot me a PM if you need a little $$ to help defray the costs.
Bick

Postby Seadog » Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:41 pm

Better yet just put up a donation link through pay-pal like most sites.
"Todo lo que necesitamos es ganas"
("All we need is the want")
"Stand and Deliver"
Seadog

Postby crayegg » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:15 am

Bick wrote:
The problem with the approach is similar to what lawmakers do because of a few...penalize everyone.

A better answer would be to hire more police.

Read Under the Dome by Stephen King.
crayegg
Oversight Committee

Postby Bick » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:18 am

crayegg wrote:
Read Under the Dome by Stephen King.

I Read the synopsis...Would I one of "Big Jim's" cronies?
Bick

Postby e. rosewater » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:37 pm

So why do some get warnings for personal attacks and others do not?

I get a warning for calling Dave "fat boy" after he refers to me as Dim Sum. I'm told he really is fat. So it's not like I would be lying or saying something that isn't true.

Could you please give guidance on what is considered offensive and what is not?
What hypocrisy looks like.

Link
e. rosewater

Postby John Q. Public » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:02 am

e. rosewater wrote:So why do some get warnings for personal attacks and others do not?

I get a warning for calling Dave "fat boy" after he refers to me as Dim Sum. I'm told he really is fat. So it's not like I would be lying or saying something that isn't true.

Could you please give guidance on what is considered offensive and what is not?

I think I'll let Dave answer that. Or maybe one of the handful of other people who have had multiple warnings, multiple times. There must be a secret to attaining membership in such an elite group and I'm sure the other 900 or so other members who have never had even a single warning would love to know what it is.
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Next