St. Paul - The team that struck TERROR into MD and Servite

sammy swordsman

St. Paul - The team that struck TERROR into MD and Servite

Post by sammy swordsman » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:26 pm

Very cool video made for St. Paul's coach Ancich last home game.

For those old timers who remember the Angeles League "Holy Wars" and the epic battles, the last of the original coaches has retired. From 1961 to 2011 (minus a few years) Coach A was ST Paul. Servite boosters referred to him as the DEVIL, and insisted that he placed a bounty on Servite QB Turk Shonert in 1974. Mater Dei's frustration boiled over after the 1981 game at the Pit when they blew a 17 point lead which resulted in a post game brawl. Assistant coach Bruce Rollinson was baptised into the Holy Wars that night. Bishop Amat 9-0 lost the league Championship at the PIT in the 4th overtime. Amat Freshman ball boy John Jackson (later SC fame)says that was one of the greatest games he ever saw.

=D>

http://youtu.be/yziixZCRzZA

Red

Re: St. Paul - The team that struck TERROR into MD and Servi

Post by Red » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:48 am

sammy swordsman wrote:Very cool video made for St. Paul's coach Ancich last home game.

For those old timers who remember the Angeles League "Holy Wars" and the epic battles, the last of the original coaches has retired. From 1961 to 2011 (minus a few years) Coach A was ST Paul. Servite boosters referred to him as the DEVIL, and insisted that he placed a bounty on Servite QB Turk Shonert in 1974. Mater Dei's frustration boiled over after the 1981 game at the Pit when they blew a 17 point lead which resulted in a post game brawl. Assistant coach Bruce Rollinson was baptised into the Holy Wars that night. Bishop Amat 9-0 lost the league Championship at the PIT in the 4th overtime. Amat Freshman ball boy John Jackson (later SC fame)says that was one of the greatest games he ever saw.

=D>

http://youtu.be/yziixZCRzZA
:mrgreen:
Last edited by Red on Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Liberalism is like an out-of-control 5 year old at McDonalds. All the talking to and admonishment won't make a difference. They have no concept of right or wrong, they are nothing more than narcissists.

BoJack

Post by BoJack » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:47 am

Enough with Ancich. He's been irrrelevant for 30 years.
"Beer is proof that God wanted us all to be happy"- Ben Franklin

THETRUTH

Post by THETRUTH » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:10 am

BoJack wrote:Enough with Ancich. He's been irrrelevant for 30 years.
I wouldn't say 30 years, he did have a decent little run at Tustin, but nothing compared to his first tenure at St. Paul. If one ever gets a chance to sit down with Bill Bain and have a little conversation, he can clear up any illusions that Bob Johnson might be the all-time cheater in CIF-SS history. Talking to him would be like talking to one of several former UCLA Bruins that worked for Sam Gilbert, except St. Paul players families saw much more financial gain than most of the Wizard of Westwood's players who became friendly with Gilbert.

Luca

Post by Luca » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:39 am

Most of my time then was spent in the old Del Rey League with Loyola, Notre Dame, Alemany, St. Francis and the others. The Angelus League was generally considered the stronger league, especially Bishop Amat and Servite and St. Paul. At that time Mater Dei was on the skids as was Pius X.

It was always fun to try and catch a St. Paul/Servite/Amat game, but usually it had to wait until the playoffs. There was also a heated rivalry between El Rancho and St. Paul.

But I specifically remember that 1981 (I think) St. Paul team that went 14-0. I was on my 1st year on the staff at Loyola and the 2 teams played in the preseason. This was before Steve Grady hit his stride as a coach, but Loyola was nonetheless a physically impressive team, big for that era and with some very good athletes. They clearly had the athletic and size advantage over St. Paul but that was such a bizarre team to watch.

They didn't make any mistakes, they had a tremendous o-line surge, they didn't make any big plays offensively, simply using a conservative mix of inside runs and short passes. Not very big, not overly physical. I don't think they missed a single tackle the whole game and I'm not even sure they had any penalties.

It was like playing 21 with a guy who draws an 18 or 19 every single hand. Not at all flashy but you had to play similarly flawless game to beat them. That team won on coaching.......Luca

sammy swordsman

Post by sammy swordsman » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:47 am

Luca, Was Jon Dawson (ex St. Paul guy) on the staff with you at Loyola? I think he was around during those years. I remember the 1981 game. I think the score was 17-14 or so. Very close. Both teams were very strong defensively and conservative on offense. In 1983 Loyola ended up stopping St. Pauls consecutive game scoring streak at 200+ games which was a National record at the time, since broken by DLS.

I loved the quote Bruce Rollinson said about St. Paul... "They pound you and pound you, and wait for you to make a mistake, then they go for the jugular!"

That same quote could have been attributed to the Loyola teams under Grady.

With both Marty Shaunessey and Dawson coming from St. Paul, I think Loyola used alot of the St. Paul terminology and philosophy. Loyola emulated the St. Paul 52 Bandit defense for sure.

Fontana under Bruich (ex St. Paul asst.)also used the Same Defense and terminology as St. Paul.

Ancich had a huge impact on So Cal HS football just due to the large number of former players and assistants that went on to be successful head coaches.

Here are a few I can think of.

Shaunessey - Loyola
Bruich - Fontana
Walker - Redlands
Mazzotta - La Habra (I believe he may have played on the 81 SP team)
Lins - Crespi
Degnan - Quartz Hill
Olmedo - SP and Redlands

Luca

Post by Luca » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:54 am

Jon was the defensive coordinator that year and eventually was the athletic director. He's the guy who brought me onto the staff. He was a major asset to the team. He was very garrulous and friendly and kind of buffered some of the intensity that Grady exuded. He was also an excellent defensive coordinator in his own right. He did bring that 50 defense in and they used it until around 2005 when Grady retired.

I was sorry to hear that Jon died last year. Nobody had told me about it until the funeral was over.....Luca

RandyF59

Post by RandyF59 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:03 pm

sammy swordsman wrote:Fontana under Bruich (ex St. Paul asst.)Ancich had a huge impact on So Cal HS football just due to the large number of former players and assistants that went on to be successful head coaches.

Here are a few I can think of.

Shaunessey - Loyola
Bruich - Fontana and Kaiser
Walker - Redlands
Mazzotta - La Habra (I believe he may have played on the 81 SP team)
Lins - Crespi
Degnan - Quartz Hill
Olmedo - SP and Redlands
Martinez - Fullerton
there are probably 20 more
Dick Bruick was my favorite coach at SP. He was my first T+F coach until he took the fall for the Pioneer-gate spying episode. He took over at the newest HS in Fontana-Kaiser, won another CIF title, was AD and also coached softball- twice going to the CIF semi's. :thumbsup:

Tar Pit

Post by Tar Pit » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:04 pm

RandyF59 wrote: Dick Bruick was my favorite coach at SP. He was my first T+F coach until he took the fall for the Pioneer-gate spying episode. He took over at the newest HS in Fontana-Kaiser, won another CIF title, was AD and also coached softball- twice going to the CIF semi's. :thumbsup:
I remember that. \:D/

St. Paul was caught filming the Pioneer practices from a van in the parking lot. St. Paul beat Pioneer on friday night but was later disqualified. Newport Harbor with white shoes Thriot played and beat Pioneer the next week.
Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

http://www.rebellioustruths.org/

sgthartman

Post by sgthartman » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:21 pm

here was a typical (first term) anchich-era offensive series:

first down - fullback dive right
2nd down -fullback dive left
3rd down - fullback dive left for 1st down

3rd down - fullback dive left for 1st down, ball to midfield

3rd down - fullback dive left for 1st down, ball on opponents 35 yard line

1st down - double reverse for a loss of 12.
2nd down - fullback dive left
3rd down 9 yards to go - delay of game penalty
3rd down 19 yards to go - sweep right for first down

first down - fullback dive left into end zone.

ancich was no X and O genius. he just had a way of motivating (usually) undersized, tough as nails young men, getting them to lift and work their asses off for him. there were a few that went on to play D1 and some to pro ball, but most never got much beyond friday nights. i've grown up with many former swordsmen and i've yet to hear any of them utter a negative word about the man. hell they would suit up and play for him right now - on a moment's notice, 35+ years later.
Seven-six-two millimeter. Full. Metal. Jacket.

SoMelo

Post by SoMelo » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:28 pm

Tar Pit wrote:
I remember that. \:D/

St. Paul was caught filming the Pioneer practices from a van in the parking lot. St. Paul beat Pioneer on friday night but was later disqualified. Newport Harbor with white shoes Thriot played and beat Pioneer the next week.
:eh?: I didn't know Wiley worked for them!

longtimeobserver

Post by longtimeobserver » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:38 pm

That incident should have never happened....Pioneer was not a QUALITY team and St. Paul could
have handled them without even scouting let alone "spying" on them. What a WASTED effort and
the players were the ones that suffered.

Tommy Tar

Post by Tommy Tar » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:15 pm

stansdonut wrote:
As you stated. The Tars behind the dancing white shoes of 30 smashed pioneer to head
to the cif semis the next week. Thriot rushed for 156 at Mt. Sac. The Tars though
were looking forward to a Paulie rematch. Previous loss revealed Ancich had full
scouting reports on the Tars 73 team including the names of girlfriends. 73 game Thriot
was called out by Rumfola. Blue Collar stuff.
=D>

The days of wooden ships and iron men. :thumbsup:
‘I Haven’t Seen Democrats This Mad Since We Freed the Slaves!’..... Rob Schneider.

Red

Post by Red » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:24 pm

SoMelo wrote: :eh?: I didn't know Wiley worked for them!
Come Melo. Let him rest in peace.
Liberalism is like an out-of-control 5 year old at McDonalds. All the talking to and admonishment won't make a difference. They have no concept of right or wrong, they are nothing more than narcissists.

OPINIONATED

Post by OPINIONATED » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:38 pm

For historical perspective, it is important to note that in later life, one of the aforementioned scat-back speedsters discovered the full on/off functionality of his "Caps Lock" key.

Notorious

Post by Notorious » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:59 pm

stansdonut wrote: Tar PIT..yore of Tar Ball is LORE vs. St Paul...the gully runs, big bertha
dead bodies being stolen
hell raising tournaments
THE REMATCH IN 74 WAS TO BE EPIC...the tars this time had scouted tit for tat ancich and his men
Tars were rumored to visit Swordsmen homes looking for cars parked on front lawns to find the toughest swordsman, some Tars even wore black socks and thongs to the beach to get a better feel for
inland
pride
of the Sword
Tar BBQ's for the rematch were set in discarded oil drums for St. Paul feel
The 73 battle at OCC was tight with fullback peter brown giving the sailors a 10-7 3 points down hope...not to be...Lou bad man rumfola was assigned to the scat back back field of bazacas, theriot, phipps, brown all speedsters. Bukich could not find mulroy on the 26 blast pass.
Pioneer was a joke and the Tars felt robbed not meeting the 74 St. Paul juggernaut
I have a feeling your posts are just like how South Park portrayed writers of Family guy.

Just a bunch of manatees with balls with words on them. Then you throw them together, and add your usual staple catch phrases.
Never Underestimate The Fart Of A Monarch

RandyF59

Post by RandyF59 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:16 pm

THETRUTH wrote:If one ever gets a chance to sit down with Bill Bain and have a little conversation, he can clear up any illusions...
That there is one epic Swordsman. As a freshman I remember hearing incredulous stories about Bill Bain during a St Paul Hell Week in the 60's. It did not end well for one particular parrot. :-"

sammy swordsman

Post by sammy swordsman » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:39 pm

stansdonut wrote: Tar PIT..yore of Tar Ball is LORE vs. St Paul...the gully runs, big bertha
dead bodies being stolen
hell raising tournaments
THE REMATCH IN 74 WAS TO BE EPIC...the tars this time had scouted tit for tat ancich and his men
Tars were rumored to visit Swordsmen homes looking for cars parked on front lawns to find the toughest swordsman, some Tars even wore black socks and thongs to the beach to get a better feel for
inland
pride
of the Sword
Tar BBQ's for the rematch were set in discarded oil drums for St. Paul feel
The 73 battle at OCC was tight with fullback peer brown giving the sailors a 10-7 3 points down hope...not to be...Lou bad man rumfola was assigned to the scat back back field of bazacas, theriot, phipps, brown all speedsters. Bukich could not find mulroy on the 26 blast pass.
Pioneer was a joke and the Tars felt robbed not meeting the 74 St. Paul juggernaut
I love the old stories. Newport Harbor had some bad *ss dudes back in that era. A funny story I heard about that 1973 game vs. St. Paul, was that the Newport cheerleaders brought a bunch of balloons that they were going to let fly after NH got a Touchdown, but the balloons never got released. The SP scouting reports were epic. I don't doubt Runfola talking smack to #30 about his girlfriend after a hard hit.

Mortal

Post by Mortal » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:22 pm

sgthartman wrote:here was a typical (first term) anchich-era offensive series:

3rd down - fullback dive left for 1st down, ball to midfield

3rd down - fullback dive left for 1st down, ball on opponents 35 yard line

1st down - double reverse for a loss of 12.
2nd down - fullback dive left
3rd down 9 yards to go - delay of game penalty
3rd down 19 yards to go - sweep right for first down

first down - fullback dive left into end zone.

ancich was no X and O genius. he just had a way of motivating (usually) undersized, tough as nails young men, getting them to lift and work their asses off for him. there were a few that went on to play D1 and some to pro ball, but most never got much beyond friday nights. i've grown up with many former swordsmen and i've yet to hear any of them utter a negative word about the man. hell they would suit up and play for him right now - on a moment's notice, 35+ years later.
Classic post.
80's battles at "The Pit"
Bus ride into a dark industrial neighborhood.
Helmet on for protection from rocks, eggs,batteries and pennies.
Future Swordsmen in JAA/PW gear yelling Servite F'ing sucks.
No grass, just grit 3" deep.
Lime lined field.
Horrible lighting.
100+ 5'10" 170 lbs. Troy Polamalu's on speed (figuratively).
4 6'6" 285 lbs. linemen with full beards.
1 6'4" 230 lbs. fullback with 4.7 speed.
Multiple personal fouls on opening kickoff (only two penalties called the remainder of the game).
6'4" 230 lbs. fullback with 4.7 speed left, 6'4" 230 lbs. fullback with 4.7 speed right X 35.
Blood.
Sweat.
Snot.
Puke.
Concussed Mike backer calling defense in huddle while looking through earhole.
First Down.
Concussed Mike backer yelling stop the f'ing run in the huddle instead of calling a front.
Get up from pile with fists, otherwise fingers stepped/stomped on by WR with worn "screw in" metal spikes.
Bite.
Scratch.
Eye gouge.
Mother smack.
Profanity.
Punch to the package at bottom of pile.
Concussed Mike backer yelling just line up and stop the f'ing run.
5 missed 38 yard field goals, neither team can get in the red zone, forget endzone.
A few defensive stops.
A well fought game.
Shake hands.
Do it again next year at Santa Ana Bowl.
Memories that last a lifetime.

sammy swordsman

Post by sammy swordsman » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:16 pm

Mortal wrote:
Classic post.
80's battles at "The Pit"
Bus ride into a dark industrial neighborhood.
Helmet on for protection from rocks, eggs,batteries and pennies.
Future Swordsmen in JAA/PW gear yelling Servite F'ing sucks.
No grass, just grit 3" deep.
Lime lined field.
Horrible lighting.
100+ 5'10" 170 lbs. Troy Polamalu's on speed (figuratively).
4 6'6" 285 lbs. linemen with full beards.
1 6'4" 230 lbs. fullback with 4.7 speed.
Multiple personal fouls on opening kickoff (only two penalties called the remainder of the game).
6'4" 230 lbs. fullback with 4.7 speed left, 6'4" 230 lbs. fullback with 4.7 speed right X 35.
Blood.
Sweat.
Snot.
Puke.
Concussed Mike backer calling defense in huddle while looking through earhole.
First Down.
Concussed Mike backer yelling stop the f'ing run in the huddle instead of calling a front.
Get up from pile with fists, otherwise fingers stepped/stomped on by WR with worn "screw in" metal spikes.
Bite.
Scratch.
Eye gouge.
Mother smack.
Profanity.
Punch to the package at bottom of pile.
Concussed Mike backer yelling just line up and stop the f'ing run.
5 missed 38 yard field goals, neither team can get in the red zone, forget endzone.
A few defensive stops.
A well fought game.
Shake hands.
Do it again next year at S :cheers: anta Ana Bowl.
Memories that last a lifetime.
Mortal.. Awesome post. These are two of my favorite all time posts. Accurately describes the game as it was back then. I remember Servite having some trouble running the hut drill a few times after games at the Pit.

Its weird how these rivalries develope and no one really know why they happen...I never knoew why I hated Servite...I just did. Kind of strange thinking back on it.

It was rivalries like this that got me hooked on High School Football and has held my interest all this time.