Gretchen Carlson Files Sexual Harassment Suit Against Fox News' Chief, Roger Ailes

Parrotpaul

Re: Gretchen Carlson Files Sexual Harassment Suit Against Fox News' Chief, Roger Ailes

Postby Parrotpaul » Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:47 am

Don't mess around with people you work with....always worked for me....back in the day. :mrgreen:

"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

Wabash

Re: Gretchen Carlson Files Sexual Harassment Suit Against Fox News' Chief, Roger Ailes

Postby Wabash » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:00 am

I know several couples who met at work. Most of the office romances I've been told about ended badly for one of the parties.

Of course the fact one of the parties might have been married could have been a factor.
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:38 am

not4u13 wrote:What Fox is guilty of more often than not is pushing a story before it's been fully vetted.

Ohhhh, you mean like their pushing "Terrorism Suspected" all day yesterday on the Munich shootings, even though terrorism wasn't suspected?
Don't look at me, I just work here.

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:20 am

not4u13 wrote:What Fox is guilty of more often than not is pushing a story before it's been fully vetted.

While that's certainly true, it's also true of most other news organizations as well. In today's media-frenzied world, if it's suspected of helping ratings, or if it supports the political leaning of the organization, it's on the air whether it's been properly vetted or not. Unfortunately, it's better to get a story wrong than to get a story late.

not4u13

Postby not4u13 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:10 pm

I think you are dead on MDDad and that's really the problem I was getting at. People don't care about the truth as long as they can get the story out before the other guy. It's all about the scoop and there isn't enough (or any) real consequence for getting the story wrong.
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir
http://www.quotesdaddy.com

not4u13

Postby not4u13 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:12 pm

I met my wife at work. In fact, I first saw my wife at the place I had previously worked and got my job back so I could meet her. The rest is history. Going on 28 years. Oh, and that place had an anti-fraternization policy, that obviously did not work.
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir

Fordama

Postby Fordama » Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:24 am

I wonder how the reporting would change if nothing could be published or broadcasted until 24 hours past the incident?

Fordama
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:19 am

Starting to wonder if I should merge this thread into the one from a few years ago about all the women on Fox being hot.

Parrotpaul

Postby Parrotpaul » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:54 am

Fox has put up some decent eye candy over the years. ESPN and CNBC are trying the same approach...make 'em hot, and it won't matter what they say... Michelle Caruso-Cabrera was showing some cleavage last week on CNBC.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

not4u13

Postby not4u13 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:38 pm

I was watching CNN this morning talking about Ailes and his legacy. He is credited for changing TV news forever. It was also stated that he was pretty clear about this intent and that was to promote the Republican Party and Christian values. They didn't even mention that he was trying to report the news so much as he was trying to create an intentional public perspective through FoxNews. I can't remember the show but it was a bit of an opinion rather than the position of CNN. I don't doubt that Fox was biased right but no more biased to the right than CNN is biased to the left.

It will be really interesting to see how far away he gets from Fox and what direction they take in the coming years.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:31 pm

not4u13 wrote: I don't doubt that Fox was biased right but no more biased to the right than CNN is biased to the left.

I'd agree if you'd compared it to Pravda or Venezuelan National TV, but CNN? Not even in the same league.

not4u13

Postby not4u13 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:08 pm

Are you saying CNN is more balanced? Not sure what point you are trying to make there. I've never been happy with their political coverage. I see their newsfeeds and headline writing next to USA today with the alerts I get on the CNN and USA Today apps. That's where it really shows. How it is reported as it occurs. I've found USA Today to be far more balanced than most.

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:49 pm

Samantha Bee does a great synopsis of the Ailes firing.....er....resignation.

Roger Ailes made Fox News an unstoppable powerhouse by discovering the secret to big ratings. What viewers really want is to be furiously angry while also having a boner. The anger part of the arousal was achieved through Roger’s uncanny ability to take a thing that may or may not exist, put an ominous spin on it, and then force feed it to us all day like a foie gras goose until we were terrified. Fox News was his masterpiece. A right-wing nightmare factory powered by white resentment and relentless misinformation, churning out propaganda 24/7 and making family Thanksgivings unbearable for 20 years.

NSFW
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTY4ahsc3MM
They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:12 am

I don't know about the news reliability of Vanity Fair but they are reporting.

Fox Settles with Gretchen Carlson for $20 Million—and Is Expected to Offer an Unprecedented Apology

Now the company has agreed, on behalf of Ailes, to settle Carlson’s suit for a stunning $20 million, according to three people familiar with the settlement. To reinforce their seriousness about creating a new culture in a post-Ailes world, the company is expected to offer Carlson a public apology as part of the settlement. (The company, according to two people familiar with the discussions, has also reached settlement agreements with two other women.)

There were rumors that Carlson had recordings of Ailes' harassment. That might have been a factor.

Return to “TV”