The 2017 OC Connect High School Football pool starts Thursday 8/24

Get your predictions in here!

Click the X at the upper right to dismiss this message.

8 schools leaving the Southern Section

downtothewire

8 schools leaving the Southern Section

Postby downtothewire » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:36 pm

I know it's not Orange County related, but we were discussing this possibility earlier in the summer and it looks like all of our predictions were true. After the realignment, it appears that schools in the Paso Robles area are going to cut and run. Traveling 4 hours for a playoff game just ain't for everybody I guess....

https://twitter.com/JBaileySMSports/sta ... wsrc%5Etfw

cruiser

Re: 8 schools leaving the Southern Section

Postby cruiser » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:08 pm

Makes sense, I could never understand why those schools up in that area were in the CIFSS any way.
Actually I'm surprised that the Ventura/Santa Barbara/SLO areas, etc., have not formed their
own CIF section by this time.

Fordama

Postby Fordama » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:52 am

Could be worse.

Signed,

Lee Vining
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

Fordama

Postby Fordama » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:57 am

I do wonder why they didn't opt for the Central Coast Section instead of the Central. The majority of schools in the Central are near the 99 corridor, which is three hours away from Santa Maria, two and a half from AG, and almost two hours from Paso Robles.

Fordama
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

Johnny Utah

Postby Johnny Utah » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:03 am

They could be like it is here in Utah. The local high school here, Enterprise HS, next week has to travel to San Juan HS in Blanding, Utah. A 6 hour drive for a LEAGUE game. Fun, eh.
If You Are Not a Liberal at 25, You Have No Heart. If You Are Not a Conservative at 35 You Have No Brain

Bick

Postby Bick » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:38 am

Fordama wrote:I do wonder why they didn't opt for the Central Coast Section instead of the Central. The majority of schools in the Central are near the 99 corridor, which is three hours away from Santa Maria, two and a half from AG, and almost two hours from Paso Robles.

Fordama

Does the pass get impacted by weather in the winter? I know the tule fog can be ridiculous in the valley, but not sure what happens to the roads on the mountain pass. I sure as heck wouldn't feel real good about having my kid on a bus in those conditions. Been there, done that. My knuckles are finally getting some color back in them, and this was nearly 10 years ago.

Fordama

Postby Fordama » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:58 am

No road issues over those mountains, just the fog in the Valley. I've never seen snow on the 41, 46, or 166 in my life, and I've driven them hundreds of times. Even the fog has lessened because of development--plus it's only a factor late at night or early in the morning.

They are long, boring drives though.

Vernster52

Postby Vernster52 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:36 pm

I coached at Kern Valley in the High Desert league years ago. We had Bishop in our league and it was a 6 hour bus trip to play a league game. High Desert was moved to the Central division a few years ago and it's still a 6 hour bus trip to Bishop but at least Bishop no longer has to go on 10 hour bus trips to play teams like St. Margarets in the playoffs.

cruiser

13 schools leaving CIFSS

Postby cruiser » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:23 pm

13 high schools are leaving the CIF southern section for the CIF central section. All are mostly in the
northern limits of the CIFSS. I'm surprised more schools in that area have not transferred over to
the CIF central section.

Fordama

Postby Fordama » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:12 am

Yep, officially 13 schools swithcing. All nine of the teams in SLO County that play 11-man football will be moving to the Central Section, plus the 4 schools in Santa Maria that play 11-man.

All of the 8-man teams in those areas will stay in the Southern Section.

https://www.noozhawk.com/article/centra ... al_section

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:41 pm

7 of those 13 schools are in the Santa Maria area. Fresno is the exact same distance from them as LA is, and is a longer drive for them than it is to schools in SLO, SB, Ventura and the SF Valley...not sure this is just about travel time for them...
I thought it would be easier
Donald Trump

How stupid is our country?
Donald Trump

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:45 pm

The geographic shape of the Southern Section makes little sense, and this is a natural response to that anachronism. Few people realize the Southern Section extends almost up to Lake Tahoe, meaning it reaches farther north than the Central, Central Coast, San Francisco and Oakland sections.

cruiser

Postby cruiser » Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:38 pm

Ya, I'm thinking also, those teams that are moving to the central section can still schedule pre-league with
SS teams and for playoff purposes is it not an easier traffic flow going north from that area then coming
south especially on a Friday afternoon/evening?

Fordama

Postby Fordama » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:14 am

Omar Bongo wrote:7 of those 13 schools are in the Santa Maria area.

Hey buddy, folks from Arroyo Grande and San Luis do not consider themselves in the "Santa Maria area." Persist in that foolishness and we will hit you over the head with a basket of strawberries and stick you in the butt with a rusty old clam fork that we keep around just in case the clams come back!

For the four Santa Maria schools the distance from there to LA or Fresno is the same--but the time to travel that distance is definitely not the same. Add in the times they have to travel to Orange County or the IE, Fresno is looking closer. The number of places that the 101 gets backed up--and then any other traffic you get past the 101 makes the 41 and 46 look like the Autobahn!

The schools in SLO County are half and hour to an hour closer to Fresno. And Bakersfield, which has a good number of high schools, is even closer to Santa Maria.

Fordama

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:54 pm

Hey buddy, folks from Arroyo Grande and San Luis do not consider themselves in the "Santa Maria area."

Obviously...I was referring to these six (not seven) which are definitely in the Santa Maria, not SLO area:

Pioneer Valley
Nipomo
Righetti
St. Joseph
Santa Maria
Orcutt Academy

BTW it goes both ways, I had a couple of college roommates from St. Joseph's who were equally critical of the "SLO" life...
Donald Trump

Donald Trump

Fordama

Postby Fordama » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:59 pm

WE consider St. Joe's to be an all-girls school!

I didn't see the part about Orcutt academy, so that is five schools in Santa Maria.

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:16 pm

They used to say that SLO was like Santa Barbara without the people, buildings and electricity
Donald Trump

Donald Trump

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:26 pm

But they can claim the world's first and the world's weirdest motels.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:41 pm

And the least imaginative names for them

Donald Trump

Donald Trump

Fordama

Postby Fordama » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:56 am

Omar Bongo wrote:They used to say that SLO was like Santa Barbara without the people, buildings and electricity

We used to say much worse. I'm form AG--SLO was our hated rival.

Return to “High School”