Sanctuary cities vow to fight Trump EO

cruiser

Sanctuary cities vow to fight Trump EO

Postby cruiser » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:16 pm

Sanctuary cities vow to take POTUS EO pulling funds from their cities to court - could the
action(s) end up in the supreme court? - with Trump picking the absent justice opening
apparently very shortly and with republican senate and house majorities getting his choice
approved,what is the final outcome?

Omar Bongo

Re: Sanctuary cities vow to fight Trump EO

Postby Omar Bongo » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:24 pm

Wait a minute, I thought we didn't need nine justices...what changed?
I don't stand by anything
Donald Trump

How stupid is our country?
Donald Trump

Professor Fate

Postby Professor Fate » Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:33 pm

This week Donald unveiled another tool he has at his disposal in the fight against sanctuary cities. All he has to do (besides holding back federal funding), is to say that if you aren't going to cooperate with ICE, then we'll just direct ICE to concentrate its efforts in those areas. By declaring yourselves sanctuary cities, you will/have painted a target on your illegals.

How would the feds defend that in court? Easy. If city, county, and state officials refuse to help ICE enforce federal law, that forces the feds to shoulder the entire burden there. Ergo the need for more ICE Agents in those areas.

Sanctuary cities will lose this battle. Their only hope is to bargain with the master bargainer...President Trump. :slapfight:
Things under Obama got a lot worse before they started to get better – and they only started to get better after the GOP took over half of Congress and put the brakes on spending.

Parrotpaul

Postby Parrotpaul » Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:51 pm

Maybe the feds would get more cooperation if they helped out the locals with some funding.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

Tommy Tar

Postby Tommy Tar » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:50 pm

What we are seeing is the same crap that's been going on for years. The state or federal government takes money away from local control and before we get our own money back we have to do things we don't want to do.

We need to stop giving government so much money.
‘I Haven’t Seen Democrats This Mad Since We Freed the Slaves!’..... Rob Schneider.

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:51 pm

Parrotpaul wrote:Maybe the feds would get more cooperation if they helped out the locals with some funding.

The feds have been providing the locals with funding since before any of us can remember. Are you proposing that the locals threaten to hold their breath (by violating federal law) until the feds increase their allowance even more? I think that's called blackmail, and I used to ground my kids for a week when they tried it.

CGD

Postby CGD » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:07 am

Not only that, MD, but I find it humorous that your governor had to go hat-in-hand to ask for money to fix Oroville Dam after so relentlessly flipping the trump administration off over sanctuary cities (and others flipping him off about secession).

Quite a troop you've got over there. :bonk:

Fordama

Postby Fordama » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:22 am

Kind lof like all those folks in red states are crapping about the "gummint" and how bad the Feds are.

Then a couple of tornadoes take out a few trailer parks and...
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:37 pm

after so relentlessly flipping the trump administration off over sanctuary cities

Interesting perspective...like sympathizing with the poor bull who gets no red carpet as he barges into the china shop
Donald Trump

Donald Trump

Professor Fate

Postby Professor Fate » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:36 pm

Denver should be at the top of the list of sanctuary cities to lose federal funding. The mayor and the sheriff are both against cooperating with ICE. They now have blood on their hands.

Ever Valles, 19, murdered Timothy Cruz, 32, on Feb. 7 after robbing him at a train station, police say. He had been released by the Denver Sheriff's Department just six weeks before that after posting $5,000 bond on charges of theft.

Denver released Valles even though U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) agents asked the city to hold him. In fact, ICE had flagged Valles as an "immigration priority" given his ties to gang activity in the city and asked to be told before his release so they could arrest him themselves.

U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) officials said in a statement that after Valles was arrested, it placed a detainer with the Denver County jail to hold him until its agents could take him into federal custody.

“The detainer wasn’t honored and he was released by the jail ... without prior notification,” ICE said. “Valles is a known gang member whose gang history is documented in the Colorado gang database.”

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-color ... SKBN161077

Also...

Norlan Estrada-Reyes, 27, who was born in Sulaco, Honduras, had twice been accused of crimes in Denver, including driving under the influence. After a 2013 arrest, he posted bond and was released before U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement reached him. In the other case, in 2014, ICE was not aware of his arrest.

Then, on Oct. 30, police say he was behind the wheel of a full-size Ford pickup truck that struck and killed 28-year-old Karina Pulec as she was crossing the street at East 13th Avenue and Broadway, dragging her 50 feet.

Pulec died at the scene.

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/02/22/no ... t-and-run/
Things under Obama got a lot worse before they started to get better – and they only started to get better after the GOP took over half of Congress and put the brakes on spending.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:19 pm

ICE seems to have trouble understanding the 5th Amendment. Every story I see about that blames the police for not holding the guy longer than they can legally hold him. 90 days means 90 days, not 91 days or 90 days and, oh, however long it takes for ICE to show up. If they can't be there when the guy is released it's their fault, not the police department's.

$5,000 bond sounds like hardened criminal #1 got picked up for shoplifting.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

Professor Fate

Postby Professor Fate » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:28 pm

Every story except these two, maybe. In the second story they never notified ICE at all, and, in the first story, according to the Denver post, they gave ICE, at most, a 26 minute notice by a fax.

"The tragedy is compounded by the fact that the Denver sheriff’s office sent a fax to ICE a mere 26 minutes before the release, whereas ICE says it received the fax 30 minutes after the release. So what? The important question is: Why was the suspect released in the first place?"

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/02/22/de ... on-system/

Professor Fate

Postby Professor Fate » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:51 pm

Omar will be here in a minute to point out that that 26 minute thing may have been from a letter to the editor. So here is the actual Denver Post article with more detail.

...Denver jail officials said Friday they sent notification of Valles’ impending release by fax to the local ICE office at 11:33 p.m. Dec. 20 after Valles posted $5,000 bond earlier in the day. Valles was then released from jail at 11:59 p.m.

ICE officials, however, said they didn’t receive the fax until 12:37 a.m. on Dec. 21, an hour after jail officials said they sent the fax and 30 minutes after Valles walked free...

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/02/17/rt ... -tim-cruz/

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:10 pm

I'm thinking the 26 minutes is the time between his posting his bail and the PD finishing his paperwork. They can stall on the paperwork but once he's posted his bond, he's free to go. You might want to blame the judge for giving him a low bail amount but that would depend on the crime, I guess. $5,000 wouldn't indicate a major theft.

The simple fact is that cops don't like to release criminals, regardless of their citizenship and even in the most liberal cities. Ask any of them their opinion of AB 109 or Prop 47. You'll get an earful.

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:43 pm

Professor Fate wrote:Omar will be here in a minute to point out that that 26 minute thing may have been from a letter to the editor. So here is the actual Denver Post article with more detail.

I've got you to the point where you're cleaning up your own mistakes...next step is to not make them in the first place :thumbsup:

The important question is: Why was the suspect released in the first place?

Someone needs to study how our justice system works instead of making anecdotal snap judgements :-"
Donald Trump

Donald Trump

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:07 am

The guy was arrested and released on bail. It's not like the cops had him for six months and snuck him out the back door before ICE could get there. Unless a warrant or something came up on him there probably wasn't any justification for the police to hold him, "sanctuary" city or not.

Professor Fate

Postby Professor Fate » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:29 pm

Sanctuary cities are now complaining that ICE is hanging around courthouses and arresting illegal alien criminals there.

The problem is that many non-criminals (other than illegal entry in to the country, that is), are afraid to show up to court for things like restraining orders against abusers. They are crying foul, and want this practice to stop. (A perfectly legal practice BTW).

What do they expect? If they would cooperate with ICE at the prisons and jails, ICE wouldn't have to be hanging around courthouses to make arrests. Duh!

Professor Fate

Postby Professor Fate » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:35 pm

Lansing, Michigan city council reverses course and rescinds their Sanctuary City status, after complaints from business leaders.

"...Jim Herbert, the CEO of Lansing-based company Neogen, asked why elected officials "seek to flout the laws intended to keep my family and my employees safe..."

http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/201 ... tuary.html

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:53 am

That's like one of those find-the-hidden-object puzzles...can you spot the person of color?
Donald Trump

Donald Trump

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:19 am

There's that "Law and Order" thing again.

"OMG! The gardeners and car wash personnel are running amok! Please! Save us!"

Return to “Immigration”