Trinity League - Crean Lutheran In, SJ Bosco Out?

Professor Fate

Trinity League - Crean Lutheran In, SJ Bosco Out?

Postby Professor Fate » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:10 pm

Steve Fryer article is bringing up that possibility. They are aware of the experience of J Serra's placement in the Trinity League, and how leagues with public schools in them "circled the wagons" leaving J Serra with no where to go. Of course, Crean Lutheran has been playing football since 2009, and has an enrollment of 800, while J Serra had an enrollment of 483, and had only been playing football for two years prior to entering the Trinity League.

Crean Lutheran is also interested in maybe joining the Golden West League. The Pacific Coast League is closer, but neither league is all that interested in having Crean Lutheran join them.

Realignment is due for the 2018-2019 school year, with the supposed theme being "area placement."

http://www.ocvarsity.com/articles/leagu ... crean.html

cruiser

Re: Trinity League - Crean Lutheran In, SJ Bosco Out?

Postby cruiser » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:35 pm

Ya,I read the article also, Crean would really have to upgrade their program for the Trinity league.
They need to add another 300-400 students to their overall enrollment to be competitive,maybe in
another 3-4 years; they could be ready for the Trinity league and they can take the place of
SJB. I don't know why Bosco wanted to be in an OC league to begin with - they should play in a
LA county league with Amat. Loyola, etc

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:34 pm

There are more than ten smaller private schools in Orange County not capable of playing in the Trinity League. Maybe it’s past time to form a second Orange County private school league of Brethren Christian, Calvary Chapel, Crean Lutheran, Saddleback Valley Christian, St. Margarets and Whittier Christian. Other potential candidates are Capistrano Valley Christian, Fairmont Prep and Sage Hill, but their football programs are not as good as those other six.

The solution is simple if one looks outside the box. It’s better than travelling all over creation in those small school leagues, or joining the Trinity League and getting killed.

hit the lights

Postby hit the lights » Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:59 am

That will water down the trinity. Have Bosco, Poly, Serra, Bishop Amat, Pius X???
Is Pius starting up again??

Justadude

Postby Justadude » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:49 am

SJB wanted to be in the Trinity League because the teams in it at the time were considered to be some of the best. While Amat and others were on the down swing. And some of the travel to Alemany was a real hardship.

I'm not sure what the answer is. Right now it's a MD/ Bosco race. If I'm MD I surely don't want to lose Bosco as a league game because it would really water down their schedule. I'm sure Bosco feels the same way. As a fan I know I do.

I wonder if you had two Divisions of the Trinity League like college football. Like a north and south. And expand from there. I don't know. Just thinking out loud.

TommyTrojan

Postby TommyTrojan » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:37 pm

For what its worth, Bosco did not put in to be moved to a different area, so they aren't leaving the (mostly) OC Area, and thus aren't going to be moved out of the Trinity. Doesn't mean that four years from now they couldn't look to move to another area, just that it isn't an option this cycle.

Also keep in mind that as the meetings are about to get underway, what ever is decided and voted on at the second meeting won't go into effect until the 2018-2019 school year. We still have one more year of the current configuration before the changes are made.

A couple problems with the small non-Trinity schools. Most of them prefer to remain in the Small Schools Area for placement because there is a sizable gap between Crean, StM, Brethren and the remaining schools. Those 3 schools are (football wise) better than the PCL schools, while the others are way behind that. At this point only Crean has asked to be placed in the OC Area, Brethren and StM have remained in the Small Schools Area. This likely means they will both have to continue as freelance since I don't see the other local small leagues taking them in.

There will be 74 schools (counting Servite/Rosary as one school for league placement) that have to find a home. While it might be easy to place Crean in the Trinity, it would leave that league with 7 schools and someone else would also be at an odd number. Don't see that happening. You would need to find someone else to place in the Trinity (against their will I would imagine). The two I've heard mentioned (but I can't see it actually happening) are Mission and Los Al. Both of those schools are facing situations where they aren't wanted in their current area and there really isn't a place to put them.

TommyTrojan

Postby TommyTrojan » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:50 pm

In case anyone cares some rumors I've heard about leagues prior to the meetings:
1) Several leagues are looking at the 8 team conference idea. It is more manageable than the 10 team mess that is the SCL/SVL. It allows you to add a school that might be a bit scary in a sport like football when you know the worst 4 schools won't have to play them.
2)The Garden Grove league for the first time in quite some time is actually looking to add a couple teams, including bringing Pacifica back in and going to 8 teams. No idea who the 8th team would be but there are a couple schools in the area who are looking to get out of their current situation (Orange and Western)
3) The Empire League is likely to look very different. Both Western and Pacifica could be out and the remaining 4 teams may need to latch on to another league (whatever the old Century League is calling itself these days could add those 4 schools and become a 12 team conference)
4) The Sunset schools would like to boot Edison and Los Al and take in Beckman and CdM. I don't think its going to happen, but CdM to the Sunset seems likely. Fryer talked about Marina out, but that seems unlikely. They are pretty good at many other sports and begged hard to stay in the league 4 years ago.
5) Crean is not going into the PCL. Those schools see it as a direct threat who has been building up its sports program and school size over the past few years.I think their intention had always been to build a OLu type school without the size restrictions that Orange places on OLu's campus. The OCL and GWL also don't make any sense. They will be one of the "problems" of this cycle.
6) The Capo schools aren't saying much about what they plan to propose. They have 6 schools and are tired of Mission so they could circle up and form their own league. Or the could keep ET and Trabuco to form an 8 team conference. Or they could suck it up and keep Mission and find a replacement for Laguna Hills. Mission is a real big headache for placement as there isn't any nearby league that would be a viable alternative.
7) Laguna Hills likely is going to end up in the PCL or OCL. Both leagues have expressed interest in adding them and making an 8 team configuration. The OCL would really like to get rid of Laguna Beach who dominates almost every sport in that league.
8) Freeway League may be the only one that doesn't make any changes (and possibly the Orange League).

Justadude

Postby Justadude » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:20 pm

Tommy,

Nice insight and thanks for sharing. Knowing many in the Los Al area and having lived there for 50 years prior to moving away two years ago, I can tell you Los Al parents/players are not real interested in playing in the Trinity league. It's a interesting topic. Is the pressure to rid Sunset of Los Al from other Sunset schools?

TommyTrojan

Postby TommyTrojan » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:35 pm

Justadude- no doubt the push to move Los Al is coming from the other Sunset members. Los Al is in the best possible spot as far as LA is concerned. Problem is where else would you put them? Long Beach would make sense but LosAl would have to want to go there (they don't)

hit the lights

Postby hit the lights » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:35 am

How about....
South, Edison, Los Alamitos, Newport Harbor or CDM
North, La Habra, Yorba Linda, New SUNSET! :D

Professor Fate

Postby Professor Fate » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:35 am

Only two teams in the North?

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:24 am

Sunset North
Edison
La Habra
Los Alamitos
Villa Park

Sunset South
Mission Viejo
San Clemente
Tesoro
Corona del Mar

hit the lights

Postby hit the lights » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:55 am

I like it MD DAD!
If this was to happen this year, how would you predict it would go?
North / south championship game, winner goes on., who would the winner play??
Northern Cal?
San Diego ?

Return to “High School”