California secession movement heats up

cruiser

California secession movement heats up

Postby cruiser » Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:24 pm

The movement for California to become it's own nation formally has begin, 7,000+ volunteers will begin
to collect approximately 550,000 signatures by June to be put on the next state ballot, if passed the
next process of withdrawing from the US will take place. Apparently the request to withdraw does
not have to go through the congress and other states - there is a process through the United Nations
that could actually let California become it's own nation by a two thirds vote of UN members even
if the US vetoed the California request.

It's a new world these times nothing stays the same or is not attainable through political means
in this day of age. California has the 6th to 8th (depending on who you talk to) largest economy in the
world. It is doable that it could actually come about in the future.

What about California revoking it's statehood and become a US territory? The US Government would be
responsible for defense and the California powers at be would have control of everything else.
Last edited by cruiser on Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wabash

Re: California secession movement heats up

Postby Wabash » Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:29 pm

This will go nowhere. No way those liberal hating, red state representatives will let go of the national piggy bank. They get the best of both worlds with CA. They can fund their idiot conservatives on the social programs they claim to hate while making fun of the liberals in la la land footing the bill. They may be republicans, but they're not stupid.

Here is but one of hundreds of example red counties.
Attachments
Owsley County, KY.jpg
I'm not saying you're stupid. I'm saying you have bad luck when it comes to thinking.

They warned us if more Americans voted for Hillary Clinton we'd get historic corruption in Washington. They were right.

#spicerfacts

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:33 pm

Nice statement but in reality it makes almost as little sense as Texas seceding. Besides the obvious logistical issues, almost half of their "blue" state would still be bright red.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:02 pm

One would hope the subsidized red counties would stay in the U.S.

This is the same as those folks who want to form the state of Jefferson.
I'm not saying you're stupid. I'm saying you have bad luck when it comes to thinking.

They warned us if more Americans voted for Hillary Clinton we'd get historic corruption in Washington. They were right.

#spicerfacts

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:03 pm

People who should know better talk about the economic success of California the same way they do about Denmark and Sweden, forgetting that they all live happy and carefree under the defense umbrella generously provided by the United States military. Let California secede, add the cost of providing for its own military, intelligence and other costs of conducting foreign policy to the gazillion dollars of unfunded retirement liabilities it already has and let's see how long this happy little fantasyland stays on top of the world.

Fordama

Postby Fordama » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:16 am

Apparently our goofy fringe is better at getting paperwork done than the goofy fringe in Texas.

By the way, MDad, who would we be defending ourselves against?

Fordama
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:21 am

Fordama wrote:By the way, MDad, who would we be defending ourselves against?

Nobody, Ford. There is absolutely no reason to have a military, because there are no forces or entities on the planet that will ever intend to do us harm. The world is a happy place and It's all good. Kumbaya.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:48 am

Why, Mexico, of course!

Kidding aside, that is one of the things secessionists forget about, along with all of those other federal programs that we might fund but would no longer have access to and would have to be restarted from scratch.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

cruiser

Postby cruiser » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:50 pm

Interesting article on the California secession.

Not enough informatiom for the link. --JQP

Return to “California”