Yemen Raid

seeinred

Yemen Raid

Postby seeinred » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:28 pm

2 takes here. 1) I love our military especially our Navy SEALs. They make us proud and carry out every order unquestionably with the highest conceivable Valor.
2) this raid was a complete cluster f! It was a hastily given order by our prez to somehow try and prove to our nation and the world how Yemen is a terrorist nation so he can somehow justify putting them on his travel ban list. Expect the same bs in the other countries listed very soon.
Why not do the same thing in Pakistan or Saudi Arabia? It seems to me that many of the proven terrorists have been tied to those countries.
This seems familiar to me...
It's a bit like going to war with Iraq over WMDs.
A very rash action taken by our president at a time that he is losing political clout...

Bick

Re: Yemen Raid

Postby Bick » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:24 pm

We've had recent military action in Yemen over the past few years. AQAP has been a target for some time now, only we've been doing it with drones primarily.

seeinred

Postby seeinred » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:28 pm

So why get away from using drones?
I know our beloved SEALS need a little action every now and then, but drone strikes have proven to be a successful method of surprise military strikes.

Bick

Postby Bick » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:41 pm

I think it had something to do with getting intel that you need boots on the ground for. Osprey malfunctioned and injured 3 others as well.

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:22 pm

Why not do the same thing in Pakistan or Saudi Arabia?

No brainer...he has business interests in those countries
I don't stand by anything
Donald Trump

How stupid is our country?
Donald Trump

Bick

Postby Bick » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:26 pm

Kinda screws up the narrative a bit knowing this was planned by the former administration. Drivel on...

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:29 pm

"In a statement on Sunday, Mr. Trump called the raid 'successful'"

That narrative?
Donald Trump

Donald Trump

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:01 pm

How's this fit your narrative?

"A former senior defense official familiar with prior operations in Yemen said Saturday’s raid and the potential for expanded operations were “overdue.”

“We really struggled with getting the [Obama] White House comfortable with getting boots on the ground in Yemen,” the former official said, like others speaking on the condition of anonymity to discuss internal deliberations. “Since the new administration has come in, the approvals [at the Pentagon] appear to have gone up.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/checkpoint/wp/2017/01/31/how-trumps-first-counter-terror-operation-in-yemen-turned-into-chaos/?utm_term=.a17a1f2f3756

Barely two weeks in...anyone think this will make this tough guy who got 5 draft deferments a little less impulsive with his new toys?
Donald Trump

Donald Trump

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:09 pm

It will be interesting to see how the mouthpieces square the "It's a success" narrative with the "It's Obama's fault" narrative...

First he trumps Nixon with the AG firing and now he pulls a Jimmy Carter...what's next, arms for hostages?
Donald Trump

Donald Trump

Fordama

Postby Fordama » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:19 am

He skipped President Ford, though. Maybe he should have come up with his own "WIN" button: Whip Immigration Now.
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

broman

Postby broman » Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:12 pm

Omar Bongo wrote:How's this fit your narrative?

"A former senior defense official familiar with prior operations in Yemen said Saturday’s raid and the potential for expanded operations were “overdue.”

“We really struggled with getting the [Obama] White House comfortable with getting boots on the ground in Yemen,” the former official said, like others speaking on the condition of anonymity to discuss internal deliberations. “Since the new administration has come in, the approvals [at the Pentagon] appear to have gone up.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/checkpoint/wp/2017/01/31/how-trumps-first-counter-terror-operation-in-yemen-turned-into-chaos/?utm_term=.a17a1f2f3756

Barely two weeks in...anyone think this will make this tough guy who got 5 draft deferments a little less impulsive with his new toys?

Trumps advisors are mostly ex-military and hawks. Where is the cautious opinion coming from?

Professor Fate

Postby Professor Fate » Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:28 pm

broman wrote:by broman » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:12 pm

Trumps advisors are mostly ex-military and hawks. Where is the cautious opinion coming from?
While I am somewhat hawkish, I'm kind of concerned about that also. This is one area where listening to opposing viewpoints is absolutely in the nations interest.

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:49 pm

He skipped President Ford, though. Maybe he should have come up with his own "WIN" button: Whip Immigration Now.

Well played...although I would prefer him paying homage by taking a header down a flight of stairs
Donald Trump

Donald Trump

joefutbol

Postby joefutbol » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:45 am

seeinred wrote:to somehow try and prove to our nation and the world how Yemen is a terrorist nation so he can somehow justify putting them on his travel ban list.

But Yemen is full of terrorists. What's there to prove?

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:52 am

Troll removed --JQP

More situational patriotism from the Trumpettes.
Attachments
First Tweet.jpg
I'm not saying you're stupid. I'm saying you have bad luck when it comes to thinking.

They warned us if more Americans voted for Hillary Clinton we'd get historic corruption in Washington. They were right.

Fordama

Postby Fordama » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:40 am

This will be the face of this raid all over the world. I suspect he photo will be run on a lot of newspaper pages and television news shows--especially in the Middle East.

This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

Bick

Postby Bick » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:04 pm

C'mon guys...this operation was approved by Obama, but postponed until the next moonless night.

seeinred

Postby seeinred » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:14 pm

Did I miss that somewhere?
I didn't see the part where this was an Obama ordered mission to be held on the next moonless night...
I apologize for my oversight... :eh?:

Fordama

Postby Fordama » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:27 pm

Bick wrote:C'mon guys...this operation was approved by Obama, but postponed until the next moonless night.

Actually he didn't. They didn't feel that they had enough good intel yet.

Fordama

Bick

Postby Bick » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:02 pm

Return to “National”