The 2017 OC Connect High School Football pool starts Thursday 8/24

Get your predictions in here!

Click the X at the upper right to dismiss this message.

All CIF- How do they decide?

Sixth Man

All CIF- How do they decide?

Postby Sixth Man » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:51 pm

As I looked at the All CIF teams I began to wonder how they decide on these teams. I counted the players on each team and I don't get it. DIII went like this: Champion Edison 8, Finalist La Mirada 6, Semi-Finalist Rancho Verde 4/Los Alamitos 1, Quarter-Finalist La Serna 2/Buena Park 3/Cathedral 4/Palos Verdes 1, First Round Villa Park 3, San Juan Hill 3,, et al. How did the Villa Park, San Juan Hills, Buena Park, and Cathedral players play so well in one or two games that they displaced guys that helped their team win games in the tournament. Los Al had one player and they were in the Semis and played Edison and La Mirada jaw to jaw. Boy, Coach Fenton and his staff must be really good if they only had one deserving player on a team that went to the semis. I don't know what the coaches at Cathedral, BP, VP, and SJH are doing with all that talent. It bugs me that ALL OC and All CIF are not given to the kids that played the best football.

DIVISION 3
Offensive Player of the Year: Griffin O’Connor, Edison
Defensive Player of the Year: Kenny Carmichael, Edison
Coach of the Year: Dave White, Edison

OFFENSE
Jack Carmichael, Edison
Matthew Marshall, La Serna
Aramis Aldredge, Oak Hills
Marlon Moorer, Rancho Verde
Tristan Meyer, La Mirada
Nick Sipe, Villa Park
Ryan Nelson, Buena Park
Mike Saffell, Edison
Tyler Casados, La Mirada
Eli Martinez, La Serna
Malik Banks, Villa Park
Arex Flemings, Cathedral
Jamire Calvin, Cathedral
Shaun Colamonico, Edison
Jeremy Clark, La Mirada
Bryan Thompson, Rancho Verde
Jacob Huff, San Juan Hills
E.J. Stewart, Rancho Verde
Jack Morrell, Edison

DEFENSE
Elijah Gates, Buena Park
EJ Ginnis, Edison
AJ Stanley, Hart
Elijah Hicks, La Mirada
Cameron Buchanan, San Juan Hills
Daniel Scott, St. Francis
Hunter Echols, Cathedral
Trevor Hallock, La Mirada
Joey Noble, Los Alamitos
Shane Irwin, Palos Verdes
JJ Glass, San Juan Hills
Halid Djabril, Cathedral
Jon Moreida, Edison
Charles Ike, Hart
RJ Lan, La Mirada
Tevita Halalilo, Rancho Verde
John Stamos, Villa Park
Cedric Dashiell, Buena Park
Luis Chavez, Serrano

Rant over

Doody thang

Re: All CIF- How do they decide?

Postby Doody thang » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:30 am

It's not a black and white process, each division has a coordinator (usually a coach or a retired coach) and then the representative coaches from each league send that guy nominees. Then a lot of negotiating and politics, then they vote. Needless to say, this year was a major pain in the behind, some divisions have 20+ leagues

Sixth Man

Postby Sixth Man » Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:52 pm

But All CIF should only be playoff teams in playoff games correct?

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:00 pm

Absolutely not. All-CIF should be the best players in each division, regardless of how well their teams performed.

TommyTrojan

Postby TommyTrojan » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:45 pm

Doody thang wrote:It's not a black and white process, each division has a coordinator (usually a coach or a retired coach) and then the representative coaches from each league send that guy nominees. Then a lot of negotiating and politics, then they vote. Needless to say, this year was a major pain in the behind, some divisions have 20+ leagues

Are you sure that's how the new system worked? It used to be reps from each league met and selected guys (which was fine when your whole league went in the same division), but I'm not sure if league reps were expected to send in names this year or not. I know we have a d1 guy who was 2nd team all county and somehow got completely passed over in th eD8 all-CIF team. Really a head scratcher.

scj60

Postby scj60 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:30 pm

The process was a lot different this year. Each school got to nominate up to a certain amount of players. Only coaches allowed to vote were ones whose teams made the playoffs.

Doody thang

Postby Doody thang » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:48 am

TommyTrojan wrote:Are you sure that's how the new system worked? It used to be reps from each league met and selected guys (which was fine when your whole league went in the same division), but I'm not sure if league reps were expected to send in names this year or not. I know we have a d1 guy who was 2nd team all county and somehow got completely passed over in th eD8 all-CIF team. Really a head scratcher.

100% sure that's how it went......talked with one of the division coordinators specifically and he said it was alot more work than usual this year.

And yes SJ60.......that is close to what they ended up having to do, it was a lot more complicated this year. Not all playoff teams got to vote though. Most of it was hashed out by division coordinators.

CarmichaelDad

Postby CarmichaelDad » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:50 pm

To be honest, I would hope that at least for the players it would be driven by their stats. As for the Coaches, Coach White deserves it.

Sixth Man

Postby Sixth Man » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:30 am

Nobody is debating that Coach White deserved COY. It may have been his best job coaching. To the victors go the spoils.

Bick

Postby Bick » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:42 am

Could mean the best teams don't always have the best individual players. Maybe that's a better measurement of coaching?

Return to “High School”