Economic Nationalism

broman

Economic Nationalism

Postby broman » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:46 pm

Steve Bannon outlined more of Trumps(his) economic platform at CPAC

"They're corporatism globalist media that are adamantly opposed to an economic nationalist agenda like President Trump has," Bannon said.

Bannon described Trump's agenda as a continuation of his campaign platform and would emphasize the "deconstruction of the administrative state." He said recent executive orders on travel, border security and deportations signaled that "the rule of law is going to exist when you talk about our sovereignty and you talk about immigration.

I think the center core of what we believe, that we're a nation with an economy — not an economy just in some global marketplace with open border — that we're a nation with a culture and a reason for being, and I think that's what unites us and I think that's what's going to unite this movement," he said.

Bannon also cited Trump's decision to scrap the Trans-Pacific Partnership, which he said was the start of a new push to cultivate "bilateral trading relationships with people that will reposition America in the world as a fair trading nation."
http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politic ... da-n724851

Analysis from Daniel W. Drezner is a professor of international politics at the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy at Tufts University

If implemented, what would be the political and economic effects of this agenda? To use the language of political economy, Bannon’s economic nationalism is an effort to reward non-tradable sectors at the expense of tradable sectors. Infrastructure spending, deregulation, and protectionism will benefit sectors like, say, housing, or coal and oil. Trade and immigration barriers will hurt sectors like tech, commercial aviation, and higher education. Within manufacturing, less competitive firms might receive a boost as well. Other sectors, like agriculture, will face severely mixed effects.

How does this work when you also have globalist from Goldman Sachs and Exxon Mobil in the same administration? Confused! :eh?:

Parrotpaul

Re: Economic Nationlism

Postby Parrotpaul » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:23 pm

Bannon...one scary dude.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

broman

Re: Economic Nationlism

Postby broman » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:34 pm

Fix the typo in the title please. :D

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Re: Economic Nationalism

Postby John Q. Public » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:35 pm

Within manufacturing, less competitive firms might receive a boost as well.

Good if you're one of those firms, not so good if you're a customer.

And all of the"free market" Republicans fall as silent as the evangelicals. Not to worry, though. Democrats still believe in those things, and they still have some backbone.

I hate to sound like Wabash, but come on!
Don't look at me, I just work here.

broman

Postby broman » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:42 pm

Missed the part about "deconstruction"

Atop Trump’s agenda, Bannon said, was the “deconstruction of the administrative state” — meaning a system of taxes, regulations and trade pacts that the president and his advisers believe stymie economic growth and infringe upon one’s sovereignty.

“If you look at these Cabinet nominees, they were selected for a reason, and that is deconstruction,” Bannon said. He posited that Trump’s announcement withdrawing from the Trans-Pacific Partnership was “one of the most pivotal moments in modern American history.”

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:13 am

I can't help but wonder what he means by "deconstruction of the administrative state." There are a whole lot of ways you could define that, some much scarier than others.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

Bick

Postby Bick » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:31 am

They (we) share the Austrian economic view that these not-so "free trade" agreements (NAFTA / TPP) benefit the gov't more so than the individual companies.

The plan is simply to reduce the role of the federal government, and return power and accountability to individuals and the states.

Apparently, accountability is a scary thought for a lot of people.

Fordama

Postby Fordama » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:33 am

Individuals have no accountability to others. That's the scary part.
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

broman

Postby broman » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:05 pm

How does the government benefit from NAFTA? The contradiction under Trump is Bannon nationalism vs. the influence of Goldman Sachs and Exxon Mobil.

broman

Postby broman » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:14 pm

How close are the concepts of economic nationalism and nationalized companies, like PEMEX for example?

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:43 pm

Bick wrote:.....and return power and accountability to individuals and the states.

In what ways? Abortion? Marijuana legalization? Gun control? Immigration?

Or is the state's rights power going to be cherry picked?

Accountability doesn't scare anyone. What scares people is the group claiming others take responsibility while blaming others.
I'm not saying you're stupid. I'm saying you have bad luck when it comes to thinking.

They warned us if more Americans voted for Hillary Clinton we'd get historic corruption in Washington. They were right.

Professor Fate

Postby Professor Fate » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:05 pm

Wabash wrote:by Wabash » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:43 pm

Or is the state's rights power going to be cherry picked?
Not Cherry picked. If it's not spelled out in the US Constitution as being a Federal power, then it belongs to the states, or to the people. Period.

Amendment X Rights Reserved to States or People. The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:10 pm

Uhhh....yeah. Except for the issues I stated earlier.
I'm not saying you're stupid. I'm saying you have bad luck when it comes to thinking.

They warned us if more Americans voted for Hillary Clinton we'd get historic corruption in Washington. They were right.

Bick

Postby Bick » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:15 pm

Fordama wrote:Individuals have no accountability to others. That's the scary part.

I think that's a function of fostering a culture of blame / victimhood.

Bick

Postby Bick » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:17 pm

broman wrote:How does the government benefit from NAFTA? The contradiction under Trump is Bannon nationalism vs. the influence of Goldman Sachs and Exxon Mobil.

Here's a good article on this stuff if you're really interested in understanding.

https://mises.org/library/no-more-free- ... free-trade

Bick

Postby Bick » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:27 pm

Professor Fate wrote:Not Cherry picked. If it's not spelled out in the US Constitution as being a Federal power, then it belongs to the states, or to the people. Period.

Amendment X Rights Reserved to States or People. The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

Spot on Dr. Fate.

Immigration / Guns / Border Security - Fed

Education / healthcare / who can use what toilet / who can marry who / who can use what drugs - states

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:44 pm

Yet conservatives believe government should regulate most of those things you believe belong to the states.

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:34 pm

Bick wrote:who can use what drugs - states

Not according to Trump...Sean Spicer today:

"There is still a federal law that we need to abide by when it comes to recreational marijuana and drugs of that nature...I do believe you will see greater enforcement of it."
I don't stand by anything
Donald Trump

How stupid is our country?
Donald Trump

Bick

Postby Bick » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:31 am

Generally speaking, if there IS a law, federal or otherwise, it still needs to be enforced if we are going to be a nation of laws.

Would you agree with that?

That said, if he's advocating recreational drug use should be under the purview of the federal gov't, I would disagree with that.

What is your position?

Bick

Postby Bick » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:52 am

broman wrote:How close are the concepts of economic nationalism and nationalized companies, like PEMEX for example?

Best example might be blocking the takeover of Unocal by the Chinese company.

Return to “National”