Why it doesn't matter that Trump lies

not4u13

Why it doesn't matter that Trump lies

Postby not4u13 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:34 am

I was having this conversation with a few people who were trying to figure out why so many people don't seem to care that Trump outright lies. Whether it was during the campaign or now during his Presidency. Whether it is during his speeches or his many tweets. There are verifiable factual inaccuracies (i.e. lies) nearly every day. That's just what we hear about from the news media.

So why don't his supporters seem to care?

There are two reasons. The first is ignorance. A large number of supporters actually believe anything he says, despite facts to the contrary. Those are not the most fascinating though. I'm most interested in those who do understand that he is lying but still don't care.

The answer for this second group is pretty simple. The lies are not material to them. The things that he says that are inaccurate are viewed as ancillary to the central message. When he talked about the crowds at the inauguration and the media called him out on it, leading to the infamous "alternative facts" statement by Conway. His supports saw this as nitpicking. Who cares how large the crowds were or what Trump said about them. When he talks about the dangers in Sweden, they don't care about that either. They don't care if it is really true that Sweden has had more or less crime or if it was really a terrorist act. They see cars burning and that's enough for them. Whether or not this is actually caused by refugees or immigrants is immaterial. Refugees are causing problems in other countries. So what if Sweden isn't one of them. I could go on and on.

The part that is really scary though is what happens next. The conclusion Trump supports draw from all of this is that the news media doesn't care about the truth. They only care about finding any small detail that they can use to pick at and unravel the President. It is those that report on the facts that become vilified and not those that are lying about them. The Trump administration is taking this to the next level by excluding certain members of the press that they have decided are doing the most to undermine Trump's credibility. Never mind that they are merely trying to point out the truth.

The second effect of all this lying is that the lies are being used as justification for actions being taken. They "ring true" as a general theme, even if they are outright wrong. This is confirmation bias at work and it is very scary. Trump supports are eagerly supporting him and they look around at all these things around them and see what they want to see and hear what they want to hear and now they are excited about the things being done, however horrible they may be.

We are in for a real ride folks and if this keeps up, it WILL be 8 years and not just 4.

Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir
http://www.quotesdaddy.com

Wabash

Re: Why it doesn't matter that Trump lies

Postby Wabash » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:23 am

I don't know. That group is a minority of the minority.
I'm not saying you're stupid. I'm saying you have bad luck when it comes to thinking.

They warned us if more Americans voted for Hillary Clinton we'd get historic corruption in Washington. They were right.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:32 am

Equally bad are the ones who know he's lying but see him as a means to an end and don't dpeak up.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:28 am

Trump is a kidney stone -- sure he's painful, but he will pass.

ShiftyMutt

Postby ShiftyMutt » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:20 pm

I see Trump more like a tapeworm.. he needs to be removed gently or he'll leave segments behind to regrow.

You're welcome for the visual :mrgreen:

Red

Postby Red » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:19 pm

His lies are just more fake news from the propaganda arm of the DNC. So far, he has delivered and has done far more than the two Bushes, Clinton and Obama. Keep it up Trump. Oh and he wasn't my first choice. My investments be looking good.
Liberalism is like an out-of-control 5 year old at McDonalds. All the talking to and admonishment won't make a difference. They have no concept of right or wrong, they are nothing more than narcissists.

Fordama

Postby Fordama » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:48 am

Red wrote: His lies are just more fake news from the propaganda arm of the DNC.

I won the election by a landslide bigger than any since Reagan.
There were thousands of Muslims dancing in the streets of New Jersey.
Terror attack in Sweden the previous night.
He doesn't have a relationship with Putin--despite the video in which he said he had a very good relationship with Putin.
He don't have any dealings with Russian--despite the fact that his son said that Russia represented a "disproportionate" number of their investors.
The murder rate is the highest in 47 years.
It didn't rain at his inauguration.
The crowd was over a million people.
84% of Cuban Americans voted for him.
He lost the popular vote because of widespread voter fraud.
They were busing thousands of illegal voters in New England.

How many more lies would you like to be listed?
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

ShiftyMutt

Postby ShiftyMutt » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:36 am

One of the biggest dangers to this country is the willful ignorance of the republicans that still support him without question.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:44 am

And the Democrats. Remember they're the ones who swung the election.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:57 pm

Particularly the ones who stayed home
I don't stand by anything
Donald Trump

How stupid is our country?
Donald Trump

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:00 pm

Red wrote:Oh and he wasn't my first choice.

If you voted for him, you own it.

I've heard that from more than one conservative. It sounds like a mechanism to avoid responsibility when the inevitable failure occurs.

not4u13

Postby not4u13 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:24 am

It really is hard to ignore the sheer volume of lies, but in just a few short posts, we see what I was saying played out. Those who support Trump just see the reports of lies as immaterial media propaganda. The more the media reports on them, the less people listen and the more power Trump gains.

C'mon people, do we not even care about being a Democracy anymore?
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir
http://www.quotesdaddy.com

Return to “National”