The 2017 OC Connect High School Football pool starts Thursday 8/24

Get your predictions in here!

Click the X at the upper right to dismiss this message.

Brush With Fame

If it doesn't fit anywhere else
ShiftyMutt

Brush With Fame

Postby ShiftyMutt » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:26 am

Something different - anyone have any brushes with fame?

I have several, here's a few ..

- I walked and chatted with Mike Farrell (the guy from M*A*S*H) during a 10 mile "Walk for Hunger" charity walk by Mile Square Park.

-Saw Magic Johnson at a sandwich shop in Mission Viejo. Talk about feeling dwarfed. My brother got a picture with him, I was too shy.

-Saw Clint Eastwood coming out of a camera store while in Carmel. He smiled at me!, waved and got into a black Rolls and headed down Ocean Ave.

Your turn!

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Re: Brush With Fame

Postby John Q. Public » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:43 am

Speaking of tall, I saw Kareem driving his Bentley on the freeway once. He looked like he was sitting in the back seat.

Quite a few others but too many to tippy tap out on my phone.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:22 pm

In the same health food store in Costa Mesa over the last three or four years I've seen Babu Baht (from the old Seinfeld series) and two fighters perhaps known only to MMA fans -- Gina Carano and Matt Hughes.

During the two-week baseball strike at the start of the 1972 season, the Anaheim (then California) Angels worked out on their own at La Palma Park in Anaheim. I had the chance to stand in the "batters box" (with no bat or helmet) while Nolan Ryan threw fastballs to Jeff Torborg. I can still get a little queasy when I remember the buzzing sound those pitches made.

ocfootballfan

Postby ocfootballfan » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:37 pm

I was in the DR a couple of years ago and met George W and Pete Dye through a mutual friend. Got our pictures taken and Pete gave me an autographed book of his courses that he has designed.......nice experience.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:44 pm

An old girlfriend about got run over by Nixon's limo at an Angels game and we walked by Reagan in the lobby at a Lakers game.

It's kind of funny living in the LA area because you probably run into celebrities fairly often without even realizing it. We were in line behind Doris Day at some store at South Coast and my friend recognized her but I didn't. And then there was some actress we walked by at LAX who I didn't recognize but the Foreign Babe did. I just said "What's with the paparazzi?" She said "Oh, that's such and such" and I said "Oh" and kept walking.

ShiftyMutt

Postby ShiftyMutt » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:06 pm

I saw Nixon, too. I was really really young, around 4-5 (?)

His motorcade was driving down Whittier Blvd. My Mom and I were going the The Quad. My mom says "look inside that car, it might be a movie star". I peeked over the top of the car door, the black tinted window rolled down and it was Nixon, big smile and a wave and the window rolled back up.
My mom asked who I saw, I said "it's Henry Gibson!" :lol: That was back when Laugh-in was popular.

ShiftyMutt

Postby ShiftyMutt » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:19 pm

I was at Yorba Linda Country Club playing in a big tennis tournament (yeah I was a pretty much a pro :cool: ). During a break I got in line at the snack bar, right in front of me was Johnny Mathis. I didn't know it was him at first but noticed how incredibly soft his hair looked, then he turned to the side and I recocnized him. All I could think was that I wish my Mom was there because she loved Johnny Mathis.

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:34 pm

I ran into ex-Rams head coach Ray Malavasi and heavyweight boxer Jerry Quarry at LAX. Jerry's younger brother, light-heavyweight Mike Quarry, worked out at the Cal State Fullerton gym and I saw him many times while I was attending there. I met Jackson Browne and Kevin Costner at Cal State as well (Kevin is a fellow Titan graduate).

And I shook hands with George McGovern after he gave a campaign speech in Fullerton in 1972.

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:46 pm

I was a guest of a friend who has a suite at Anaheim stadium. Sat next to Rod Carew for half a game.
Last edited by Wabash on Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not saying you're stupid. I'm saying you have bad luck when it comes to thinking.

We only started hearing about fake news when we elected a fake president.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:46 pm

I saw John McKay broken down on the side of the 57 once.

I met Bonnie Raitt when she sang with a friend's band, once upon a time. For some reason I told a friend of some of us from the old El Toro board about it and he said "Oh, I knew Bonnie. She crashed on my couch for a couple months." His best celebrity story was about the time he fished a ****faced Eric Clapton out of the dumpster behind his club. I think we're all just a step or two from a few famous people, whether we realize it or not.

ShiftyMutt

Postby ShiftyMutt » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:30 pm

I think we're all just a step or two from a few famous people, whether we realize it or not.

Cathy Rigby's (the Olympic gymnast from the 70's) dog followed my Mom home when she was walking her dog. She lives about 1/2 mile from my Mom house.

.. at The Forum, Diana Ross walked passed me. If it not for the long white sheer gown and two gigantic men on either side of her I never would have known :wink:

Man, I love her =D>

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:13 pm

Ha! Reminds me of the time I walked by a guy who looked like Michael Jackson in Vegas. I laugh and say, "ok, a Michael Jackson impersonator." Then I noticed the phalanx of big guys and I sez, "Oh. That was Michael Jackson." :lol:

ShiftyMutt

Postby ShiftyMutt » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:43 pm

Not me but years ago, my sister and brother-in-law got invited to Jane Fonda's house warming shindig. She had just bought land near where my sister lived out in New Mexico. Jane Fonda invited the entire town (which only constituted of maybe 50 people) so they got to spend decent time with her. They said she was the kindest person on two feet, very personable and hospitable.

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:43 pm

I almost forgot, but the Michael Jackson story reminded me. About 16 or 17 years ago, I was on the ground floor of the Plaza Hotel in Manhattan waiting for the elevator. When the doors opened, out stepped James Brown. He was wearing a bright orange jumpsuit, orange shirt, orange bow tie, orange shoes and an orange fedora hat. He was "accompanied" by a striking young blonde woman, at least 6'2" with a 50" rack.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:13 pm

Chicks are suckers for guys in pumpkin costumes.

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:49 am

At least he wasn't wearing the orange cape.

watchersince68

Postby watchersince68 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:13 am

Here we go:
I have had business dealings with Clarence Davis, Freddie Richardson, Sean Rooks
I have met, bumped into or seen-
Joe DiMaggio, Karl Malden, Lavar Burton, Bobby Grich, Rod Carew, Jim Fregosi, Paul Schaal, Chuck Finnley, Mark Langston, Laker Coach Brown, Darryl Strawberry, Joe Montana, Pat Boone,Desi Arnaz, David Copperfield (have his email address) Terrry Fator, Judge Wapner,Fritz Coleman, Bob Hope, Bert Blyleven, Famous Amos, Doodles Weaver, Tawny Kittane, Murray the Magican, Isaih Roberstson, Jerry Brown, Joey Bishop, Robert Prosky, Ray Bradbury, Don Johnson, The Black Soldier in a Few Good Men, Barry Goldwater, Judge Wapner,All Three Stooges, Mike Starr, Vince Ferragamo, Mario Lopez
And a few more I have probably forgotten.

watchersince68

Postby watchersince68 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:19 am

PS
All those do NOT include hundreds more I have seen onstage or performing.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:56 am

All Three Stooges! :notworthy:

Bick

Postby Bick » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:26 am

Cousin was married to Loni Anderson for a few years...but she was a redhead back then.

Return to “The Off Topic Forum”