The 2017 OC Connect High School Football pool starts Thursday 8/24

Get your predictions in here!

Click the X at the upper right to dismiss this message.

Major bands at private affairs

If it doesn't fit anywhere else
John Q. Public
Site Admin

Major bands at private affairs

Postby John Q. Public » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:38 am

Semi-related to the celebrity spotting thread, you hear about bands like the Rolling Stones playing private parties. I was curious if anyone's ever been to anything like that. I get the impression that most of them are parties put on by insanely rich people but I imagine that some very big corporations might have the budget for such things. I don't know any Saudi princes, so the closest I came was when Canned Heat played at one of our high school dances. I was a fan, so it was pretty cool to me, but it was nowhere near the league I'm talking about. Anybody ever been to such a thing?

Don't look at me, I just work here.

Wabash

Re: Major bands at private affairs

Postby Wabash » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:52 am

One of Mrs. Wabash's friends was a marketing exec with the MGM Grand in LV. She talked about booking Barbra Streisand for a private party during Y2K.

She told us that happens all the time. With A and B list celebs being booked for private corporate events.
Last edited by Wabash on Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:52 am

I'm not sure even King Abdulaziz has enough money to get the Stones to play a birthday party, a good thing when you consider Keith Richards has a face that would terrify most children.

In 1967 I was a senior at Anaheim HIgh School when we played Santa Ana for the CIF AAAA championship. The Friday before the game, we had our usual pep rally in the small Anaheim gym when in walked the Righteous Brothers, who proceeded to rock the joint for the next 20 minutes. They probably showed up because Bobby Hatfield was an ex-football player and student body president at Anaheim. I don't know whether or not they also played at the Santa Ana pep rally, since as fate would have it, Bill Medley graduated from that school.

ShiftyMutt

Postby ShiftyMutt » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:49 pm

The Doors played at my high school before they were famous, that was actually before I even went to highschool. Or was it The Who? Heck I can't remember which ..

I don't think that's what you're asking but I thought I'd mention it :mrgreen:

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:59 pm

Yeah, not really what I'm talking about but it's a good subject, too.

I think the Doors played at my school too but I was never a big fan of theirs, so I don't think I'd have bothered if they did. It could have been the year before Canned Heat. The school got some pretty big bands for that dance. And I vaguely remember one of the major LA-based bands playing the Student Center at MSAC to almost nobody but I can't remember who it was. Like they say about those times, if you remember them, you missed them, I guess.

The band to have seen in that situation was Van Halen. They played bars and parties around the San Gabriel Valley for 5 years before they hit it big. I had the opportunity to see them at a little bar in Pomona but I had to back out. I wish I could have gone. Talk about the band being too big for the room!

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:29 pm

Not a "major band", but back in the stone ages my fraternity threw a party at our house where I lived and Brian Setzer (before he hit it "big" with the Stray Cats) set up and played guitar next to the kegs in the garage...the rest of his band was just a drummer and bass player but they kicked serious butt for like 4 hours...needless to say I spent the whole time in there making sure their cups stayed full...
Oct. 25: "One of the great memories of all time"
Nov.02: "I don't remember much about that meeting..."

How stupid is our country?
Donald Trump

ShiftyMutt

Postby ShiftyMutt » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:38 pm

I kept hearing through the years that Van Halen lived in La Habra Heights, back when he was with Valerie Bertinelli.

I went to school with the guy that now plays lead guitar for Paul McCartney (Rusty Anderson) I think he himself plays local small places with his own guys between McCartney gigs.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:13 pm

If he isn't touring it wouldn't surprise me at all if Anderson plays around locally - and likely unbilled. Musicians like to make music.

My favorite one like that was when a friend of mine saw Springsteen at a little roadhouse outside of Prescott, Arizona. The waitress there was an old friend of his and he was just in town visiting.

ShiftyMutt

Postby ShiftyMutt » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:01 am

That reminds me of this guy that plays a hammer dulcimer and played the song "Everybody Wants to Rule The World" by Tears for Fears on his Facebook page. It went viral and caught the attention of the band and they paid him a visit at his house.. this is a video of that visit. I thought this was so cool all around ..

(The audio at the beginning is a little spotty)

https://youtu.be/iAFT4eVX5Ak

Return to “The Off Topic Forum”