The 2017 OC Connect High School Football pool starts Thursday 8/24

Get your predictions in here!

Click the X at the upper right to dismiss this message.

Macron Defeats Le Pen

Wabash

Macron Defeats Le Pen

Postby Wabash » Sun May 07, 2017 1:28 pm

By almost a 2-1 margin.

Indicating (I hope) this nonsense is restricted to the English speaking world where education has obviously not had much of an effect.

But the sub story is the Macron campaign expected to be a target of cyber attacks and laid a trap in anticipation.

Did Macron Outsmart Campaign Hackers?

As reported by The Daily Beast, part of the Macron campaign strategy against Fancy Bear (also known as Pawn Storm and Apt28) was to sign on to the phishing pages and plant bogus information.

“You can flood these [phishing] addresses with multiple passwords and log-ins, true ones, false ones, so the people behind them use up a lot of time trying to figure them out,” Mounir Mahjoubi, the head of Macron’s digital team, told The Daily Beast for its earlier article on this subject.

In the end, whoever made the dump may not have known what is real and what is false, which would explain in part the odd timing. After the disruptive revelations of the Democratic National Committee hacks in the United States, the public is conditioned to think that if there’s a document dump like this, it has to be incriminating. By putting it out just before the news blackout, when Macron cannot respond in detail, the dump becomes both the medium and the message.

From DailyKos Macron campaign knew the hackers were coming, so they laid a trap and defeated them

So they basically ambushed the hackers and left them chasing false trails and dead ends, and even planted their own false documents. Truly brilliant, utterly simple and devastatingly effective: Since you know they’re coming, may as well let them in and confuse, sandbag, and ultimately overwhelm them. And notice there have been very little bombshells, fake or otherwise in the news re: Macron? The Macron plan worked!

And indicating how successful it was, Wikileaks was totally flustered in finding anything:

(Wikileaks) didn’t seem to be familiar with the material in it. Responding to the Macron statement that some of the items were bogus, Wikileaks tweeted, “We have not yet discovered fakes in #MacronLeaks & we are very skeptical that the Macron campaign is faster than us.”

and at last check was left with this:

“#MacronLeaks assessment update: several Office files have Cyrillic meta data. Unclear if by design, incompetence, or Slavic employee.”

What’s fantastic about this is it is replicable for future campaigns.

Pretty clever... Stratégie brillante tres bon !

Soon we will open the champagne!

As someone in the comments said.

The Macron campaign left a big pile of flaming poop on the hackers doorstep and the hackers stomped all over it.

Well done.

I'm not saying you're stupid. I'm saying you have bad luck when it comes to thinking.

We only started hearing about fake news when we elected a fake president.

ShiftyMutt

Re: Macron Defeats Le Pen

Postby ShiftyMutt » Sun May 07, 2017 2:34 pm

Bon choix! Merci les gens de France!

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Sun May 07, 2017 7:58 pm

The Macron campaign did the cyber equivalent of a warplane releasing chaff to confuse enemy radar.
I'm not saying you're stupid. I'm saying you have bad luck when it comes to thinking.

Parrotpaul

Postby Parrotpaul » Sun May 07, 2017 8:30 pm

Le Pen ran out of le ink.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Sun May 07, 2017 11:47 pm

He won a battle, not the war. She got a third of the vote and she's not going anywhere. He has to make progress on his agenda, hold off Putin's hackers and hope there are no big terrorist attacks...not an easy row to hoe
Oct. 25: "One of the great memories of all time"
Nov.02: "I don't remember much about that meeting..."

How stupid is our country?
Donald Trump

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Mon May 08, 2017 7:55 am

Omar wrote:...not an easy row to hoe

In French politics, I think the correct expression is "not an easy hoe to row".

ShiftyMutt

Postby ShiftyMutt » Mon May 08, 2017 8:32 am

I like how in France the winner is decided by the most votes. :-"

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Mon May 08, 2017 11:30 am

Omar Bongo wrote:He won a battle, not the war. She got a third of the vote and she's not going anywhere. He has to make progress on his agenda, hold off Putin's hackers and hope there are no big terrorist attacks...not an easy row to hoe

My brother-in-law is a French ex-pat.

He told me Le Pen had a lot of baggage with her father being thought both an anti-semite and Nazi sympathizer.

Professor Fate

Postby Professor Fate » Mon May 08, 2017 5:32 pm

Yeah, but she kicked him out of the party for that.
Things under Obama got a lot worse before they started to get better – and they only started to get better after the GOP took over half of Congress and put the brakes on spending.

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Mon May 08, 2017 5:50 pm

My brother in law says it remained an issue.

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Mon May 08, 2017 7:00 pm

She gets way more support than he ever did because she's tried to bring the party more mainstream by dropping a lot of his crazier positions...she's at about the same core support as Trump. If her opponent had as much baggage as Hillary it could have been a lot closer... having only two people in the race helped too

Donald Trump

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Mon May 08, 2017 7:14 pm

I believe the French people aren't as stupid as the Trump supporters who buy into every idiot conspiracy theory.

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Mon May 08, 2017 7:19 pm

Maybe, but that's a pretty high (low?) bar

Donald Trump

Professor Fate

Postby Professor Fate » Mon May 08, 2017 9:08 pm

Wabash wrote:by Wabash » Mon May 08, 2017 9:14 pm

I believe the French people aren't as stupid as the Trump supporters who buy into every idiot conspiracy theory.

What? A post from Wabash calling Trump supporters stupid? I don't think I've heard that before. :roll: And even seconded by Omar? That never happens, does it?
Things under Obama got a lot worse before they started to get better – and they only started to get better after the GOP took over half of Congress and put the brakes on spending.

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Mon May 08, 2017 9:24 pm

Just pointed out that it was an unfair comparison...which it was

Donald Trump

kramer

Postby kramer » Wed May 10, 2017 9:24 am

Wabash wrote:I believe the French people aren't as stupid as the Trump supporters who buy into every idiot conspiracy theory.

Don't forget that Jonathan Gruber, the architect of Obamacare, basically admitted that the DNC elite and Obama leveraged the collective stupidity of its base. For a policy maker to admit this in public says a lot.

(lets see if the all powerful OCC censor deletes the Jonathan Gruber stupid comment (that is true, just paraphrased differently than how Gruber said it) and leaves the lefty's "stupid" comment that is his own opinion)...
“We should have been warned by the CFC/ozone affair because the corruption of science in that was so bad that something like 80% of the measurements being made during that time were either faked, or incompetently done.”

- Scientist James Lovelock

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Wed May 10, 2017 9:37 am

No, but I did delete the unexplained link.
Don't look at me, I just work here.

Wabash

Postby Wabash » Wed May 10, 2017 9:38 am

Doesn't change the higher level of judgment shown by French voters.

kramer

Postby kramer » Wed May 10, 2017 1:58 pm

John Q. Public wrote:No, but I did delete the unexplained link.

How was the link unexplained when it was placed right under the NYTimes headline?
“We should have been warned by the CFC/ozone affair because the corruption of science in that was so bad that something like 80% of the measurements being made during that time were either faked, or incompetently done.”

- Scientist James Lovelock

kramer

Postby kramer » Wed May 10, 2017 2:06 pm

Wabash wrote:I believe the French people aren't as stupid as the Trump supporters who buy into every idiot conspiracy theory.

According to the following NYTimes article linked below, left wingers who are now embracing more conspiracy theories:

Wabasah, do you consider these left-wingers stupid too?
Last edited by John Q. Public on Wed May 10, 2017 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Unexplained link removed

Return to “World”