The 2017 OC Connect High School Football pool starts Thursday 8/24

Get your predictions in here!

Click the X at the upper right to dismiss this message.

A SCOTUS justice to retire?

cruiser

A SCOTUS justice to retire?

Postby cruiser » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:04 am

Rumor in the capital say it's a 50-50 chance justice Anthony Kennedy will retire shortly, President
Trump gets to appoint another one? Is RBG thinking about pulling the pin also? She has -had
various medical problems over the years.

MDDad

Re: A SCOTUS justice to retire?

Postby MDDad » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:19 am

If Kennedy retires and I were Trump, I'd nominate a slightly right of center candidate, see him get approved, call it a night, cash in my chips, and go home.

Parrotpaul

Postby Parrotpaul » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:09 am

I wish you were Trump.
"I think I may say that of all the men we meet with, nine parts of ten are what they are, good or evil, useful or not, by their education." John Locke

Professor Fate

Postby Professor Fate » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:43 am

I'd go slightly right of center if it was Ginsburg or Breyer. I might even be tempted to go with Merrick Garland in that case. But for Kennedy, I'd go with a Gorsuch clone, whoever that might be.

In Kennedy's case, there is a gamble to be weighed. If his replacement is too conservative, the more centrist Republicans might be troubled by a second strong conservative. With only a 52-48 edge that could be a problem. Should they wait 'til after the 2018 elections, when the odds are the Republicans will gain in the Senate? Maybe, but nothing is certain in elections, as we all saw last November.

Or...can a vote be taken while Kennedy is still on the Court, if he announces his retirement? If so, could Kennedy just make his retirement effective upon the successful confirmation of his successor?
Last edited by Professor Fate on Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Things under Obama got a lot worse before they started to get better – and they only started to get better after the GOP took over half of Congress and put the brakes on spending.

Bick

Postby Bick » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:28 pm

MDDad wrote:If Kennedy retires and I were Trump, I'd nominate a slightly right of center candidate, see him get approved, call it a night, cash in my chips, and go home.

Seems like every candidate should be as close to center as possible.

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:48 pm

I agree, and it will happen as soon as we make politics illegal.

Return to “National”