The 2017 OC Connect High School Football pool starts Thursday 8/24

Get your predictions in here!

Click the X at the upper right to dismiss this message.

Mater Dei picks up another 5 star..

Fridayisgameday

Mater Dei picks up another 5 star..

Postby Fridayisgameday » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:50 am

Mater Dei has picked up 2019 5 Star DT/DE Keyon Ware Hudson from Vista Murrieta, along with his younger incoming freshman brother.
Mater Dei has really improved there defense from last year with the new aquisitions!!

RoadRunner

Re: Mater Dei picks up another 5 star..

Postby RoadRunner » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:33 am

Keyon had ACL surgery I highly doubt he will play this year....younger brother is a stud...dude looks like a grown ass man
" Inter-National Scouting Director for Youth Football"

cruiser

Postby cruiser » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:44 am

How long ago was the surgery?

watchersince68

Postby watchersince68 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:56 am

Only 20 more to go to match SJB's and CC's record.

RoadRunner

Postby RoadRunner » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:13 am

I believe 6 weeks ago

here is the younger brother https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ma_ltlWQrhs
" Inter-National Scouting Director for Youth Football"

Luca

Postby Luca » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:22 pm

Fridayisgameday wrote:Mater Dei has really improved there defense from last year with the new aquisitions!!

I see comments like this and I think how things have deteriorated since I started frequenting HSFB websites in 1998. A comment like this would have garnered universal derision, but now..........

As though the expected response is "I guess the rest of the parochial and public programs will have to gear up their acquisition departments so they can be just like Mater Dei!!"

It is a fornicating disgrace how we have lost sight of the purpose and integrity of high school sports.......................................Luca

Professor Fate

Postby Professor Fate » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:31 pm

Agree completely Luca. But the battle has been lost. I actually feel sorry for today's players and fans. Most of them will never know what they've lost.
Things under Obama got a lot worse before they started to get better – and they only started to get better after the GOP took over half of Congress and put the brakes on spending.

Sixth Man

Postby Sixth Man » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:44 pm

Wow. The truth and it hurts. Pure statement.

Sweetness34

Postby Sweetness34 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:04 pm

Times have changed. So either go with the flow or don't follow. We know the majority of the people who follow the boards are old school. And we see the same disgruntle comments each time when this topic or its reported so and so has transferred in.. Adapt or move on.

I think MD is up to 4 new incoming kids. BUT no where near Bosco yearly run. 15 more to go before they reach their number of acquisitions, I heard someone say. The difference, MD's are higher profile kids, whereas Bosco's are more under-the-radar not so highly profiled.

And Hudson-Ware is done for this year. So he's non-factor for this season. But I bet not too many people knew he was injured.. all they saw was another defensive transfer.

templar83

Postby templar83 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:28 pm

Luca wrote:I see comments like this and I think how things have deteriorated since I started frequenting HSFB websites in 1998. A comment like this would have garnered universal derision, but now..........

It is a fornicating disgrace how we have lost sight of the purpose and integrity of high school sports.......................................Luca

Well, your view may not be universal, but it certainly is derisive...

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:18 pm

we have lost sight of the purpose and integrity of high school sports

Your moralizing is noted...is it discomforting for you to realize that the people actually participating get to decide what the "purpose" is?
I thought it would be easier
Donald Trump

How stupid is our country?
Donald Trump

Luca

Postby Luca » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:00 pm

Don't think for a moment that I don't welcome your unsolicited advice, sweetness, but I think I'll make the call as to whether I "go with the flow" or not. I believe that like so many others, you don't distinguish between "change" and "progress". Simply because times have changed doesn't mean that the change is beneficial or even welcome.

I don't know if the majority of people who follow this board are old school or not, but I can reliably tell you that the vast majority of high school fans and players and coaches in Orange County and the rest of the country very much regret this evolution. This board is a very unrepresentative bubble that we inhabit. The Trinity league programs and the handful of public programs that can recruit and compete with them represent a small percentage of high school sports. If you were to ask coaches, parents and true fans from the rest of the high school sports universe you would find that mine is by far the majority opinion. It wouldn't surprise me if most fans and coaches even within this bubble oppose the current changes. Most people remember what the intent of high school sports was and understand that fundamentally it is nothing but simple greed and even narcissism that have been the drivers.

What we have on this board primarily are parents and a few coaches and players closely involved with the programs in question. (And a smattering of the camp followers like Omar who like to pretend that they were once athletes but have never mastered dribbling dribbling a basketball three times consecutively, but I digress.........) Of course they will see themselves as representative of "the flow", given that their primary interest is the success of their adopted program. Because it's about winning, "rings" and personal aggrandizement, not the kids themselves. But don't think for a moment that your views represent the majority, far less the high road.

With the development of these semi-club teams masquerading as high school programs something has been lost in local high school sports and many of us here never even knew what it was...........................Luca.

sammy swordsman

Postby sammy swordsman » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:02 pm

I'm with Luca on this one. There is something good to be said about playing with your neighborhood kids at the high school level vs. The "cross town rival".

Fortunately 95% of the schools still operate this way.

Since I no longer have a kid playing n high school,....I do admit that I enjoy following the elite "club teams vs their national schedules, and find those games compelling.

Realizing that some club teams are inevitable, the CIF has carved out a playoff. division for them to duke it out.

In the end I think most people are happy.
Last edited by sammy swordsman on Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:47 pm

Luca wrote: "we have lost sight of the purpose and integrity of high school sports"

How selfless of you to decide for everyone else what the purpose of high school sports is. And who knew there was just one? Ditto for assuming the mantle of Arbiter of the Integrity of High School Sports as well. Thousands of otherwise ignorant, selfish and/or morally bankrupt high school athletes, parents and coaches thank you for deigning to point them toward the light.

Keep up the good work, it's good to see all those games you logged wearing a peach basket for a helmet haven't dulled your edge.

BuckW

Postby BuckW » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:33 am

It is time to move MD out of the Trinity League to a freelance schedule. They are IMG West. The sad thing is even with all the new recruits for this season Rollinson and his staff will still find a way to get out coached in the playoffs.

templar83

Postby templar83 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:41 am

sammy swordsman wrote:.I do admit that I enjoy following the elite "club teams vs their national schedules, and find those game compelling.

A forthright statement that may well apply to the majority of fans who enjoy high school football. To me, many of the positions taken in these types of debate; i.e. change vs progress, quit moralizing, you're greedy or narcissistic, most people agree with me etc., create more heat than light.

If ya like that home town feel, go to watch Yorba Linda HS play anybody, the whole community is there. Same with any number of other high schools in, or out of , the area. On the other hand attending any of the rivalry games in the Trinity league is pretty special as well, big passionate crowds locked in by decades of hard fought contests. Frequently the kids on the field represent a generation or two of families attending the same school.

But if you're the kind of person that just can't watch open division football without being angered by how the teams have been assembled, well...don't watch. On Friday nights organize coffee klatches or some other social gathering and reminisce about what has been lost in high school sports. Group think is soothing, but not for everyone...

Johnny Utah

Postby Johnny Utah » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:48 am

I'm with you templar, I miss those Bosco burritos. Heck, I can't even get any decent Mexican food since moving to Utah.
If You Are Not a Liberal at 25, You Have No Heart. If You Are Not a Conservative at 35 You Have No Brain

cruiser

Postby cruiser » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:52 am

Hmm, both Omar and Luca have good points,though I'm one that has the perspective,if you don't
stay in the game,you get left behind in most cases, and that's just in life in general.

Realistically, the CIF sees the problem and created the open division for playoffs. Teams that want
to keep up play in that division, if not, in most cases they can gear their programs for the lower
divisions to play in.... If anything blame Bosco, for the situation as it is now - they were the
initiator of all this FB movement in the last several years throughout the CIFSS.

BTW - anyone notice even DLS is getting the type of players they never had, say 5-10 years ago.
It is what it is.

downtothewire

Postby downtothewire » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:00 am

sammy swordsman wrote:I'm with Luca on this one. There is something good to be said about playing with your neighborhood kids at the high school level vs. The "cross town rival".

Fortunately 95% of the schools still operate this way.

Since I no longer have a kid playing n high school,....I do admit that I enjoy following the elite "club teams vs their national schedules, and find those game compelling.

Realizing that some club teams are inevitable, the CIF has carved out a playoff. division for them to dike it out.

In the end I think most people are happy.

Yup most people are happy. You correctly pointed out that most of the 500+ schools in the SS don't operate like Mater Dei. Like I am fond of saying, for everyone else, there's Estancia. Plenty of good old wholesome football teaching good old fashioned values abound.

Sweetness34

Postby Sweetness34 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:10 am

Mater Dei is hardly the IMG of the West - Mater Dei doesn't have the depth to be called that. Bosco is closer to an IMG, and has more quality depth than Mater dei does. People don't realize that. If any of MD's core starters go down they will be in trouble.

I understand what you all are saying, its just people seem to rehash the same disgruntled posts and everytime this subject is brought up. Ive been around HS football for over 25 years and yes, It was discouraging but I love football regardless and decided to accept what it is. Its exciting and fun to watch at its highest level, but I understand if you're a follower of neighborhood high schools its tough. But its why CIF has created these new divisions.

And if you thought the old school way was done..look again. Saddleback High school. Jerry Witte is getting back in game becoming head coach again and is assembling his old staff, with former assistants coaches from their hay days. He's been out of the game for along time. Who saw that coming? and Saddleback isn't even a middle of the road school!

Return to “High School”