The 2017 OC Connect High School Football pool starts Thursday 8/24

Get your predictions in here!

Click the X at the upper right to dismiss this message.

Battle Of The Beach Pools/Brackets

SoCalFball

Battle Of The Beach Pools/Brackets

Postby SoCalFball » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:12 pm

Pool A
Edison
Bishop Amat
Servite
Valencia
Roosevelt

Pool B
Corona Centennial
JSerra
Alemany
Oaks Christian
Charter Oak

Pool C
Loyola
Bosco
Serra
Hart
Paraclete

Pool D
Mater Dei
Narbonne
La Habra
Cathedral
Mission Hills

SoCalFball

Re: Battle Of The Beach Pools/Brackets

Postby SoCalFball » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:13 pm

My prediction for pool winners Servite, CC, Bosco, MD.

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:31 pm

One of these things is not like the others,
One of these things just doesn't belong,
Can you tell which thing is not like the others
By the time I finish my song?
I thought it would be easier
Donald Trump

How stupid is our country?
Donald Trump

watchersince68

Postby watchersince68 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:25 am

Omar
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Wanted you to know
I haven't got a clue. (Unless you are alluding to Servite)

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:44 am

Servite, CC, Bosco, MD

Three of these things belong together
Three of these things are kind of the same
Can you guess which one of these doesn't belong here?
Now it's time to play our game.
Donald Trump

Donald Trump

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:18 am

Servite, because they're not very good.
Or maybe it's CC, because they're the only public school.
No, wait, it's MD, because they're only school with a medical degree.
Oh, oh, I've got it. It's Bosco, because they're the only school named after a chocolate syrup.
Ah, hell, I give up.

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:58 pm

How this board has changed...back in the day a dozen Servite homers led by LoinHunter would have already pointed out that MD is the only one of the four with no title this century...
Last edited by Omar Bongo on Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

joefutbol

Postby joefutbol » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:21 am

MD is the only one without.... oh, beat me to it.

He probably lost interest. The sport is a joke now.

FriarJoe

Postby FriarJoe » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:18 am

Actually all those teams except mater dei have 2 CIF titles this century and at least 1 state championship. And you wonder why Rollo is so desperately selling his soul for a ring these days....

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:23 pm

FriarJoe,

1. Rollo has won five Division I championship rings. Nobody has won more, and only Raul Lara has won as many. More importantly, in 17 years I've never seen him wear or display any of them. I doubt he'd "sell his soul" for another one, and certainly not any more than the other three programs on this list.

2. Any point can be made by arbitrarily setting the survey period's window width. If you set it at "this century" (i.e. 17 years), then yes, Mater Dei has no championships while Centennial, Bosco and Servite have two each. If you set it at "the last twenty years", all four teams have two titles.

3. If you want to leave the window at "this century", there is more than one metric to measure program success. Here are five examples. You can draw whatever conclusions you like.

Most D-I Semifinal Appearances This Century
Mater Dei: 9
St. John Bosco: 5
Servite: 4
Corona Centennial: 3

Most D-I Championship Game Appearances This Century
Mater Dei: 4
St. John Bosco: 4
Corona Centennial: 2
Servite: 2

Most D-I Titles This Century
Corona Centennial: 2
Servite: 2
St. John Bosco: 2
Mater Dei: 0

Overall Record This Century
Corona Centennial: 226-35-0, .866
Mater Dei: 167-71-0, .702
St. John Bosco: 147-75-0, .662
Servite: 132-83-2, .608

Average Power Rating This Century
Corona Centennial: 60.4
Mater Dei: 57.2
St. John Bosco: 53.2
Servite: 50.0

FriarJoe

Postby FriarJoe » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:53 pm

Nice try MDDad but the fact is that MD is in a major drought and MD is certainly desperately trying to get that ring. You can spin it however you want by going back further and further in time but the kids playing HS football right now have never seen MD win a CIF ring. That has to weigh heavy on the Stache whether or not he chooses to wear his rings.

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:01 pm

MD is in a major drought

Along with about 98% of So Cal high schools...

kids playing HS football right now have never seen MD win a CIF ring

See above

hit the lights

Postby hit the lights » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:29 am

Bracket D looking like the toughest bracket. Maybe Edison slides into the Final?
Valencia and JSERRA??

pattywannamack

Postby pattywannamack » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:40 am

FriarJoe wrote:Nice try MDDad but the fact is that MD is in a major drought and MD is certainly desperately trying to get that ring. You can spin it however you want by going back further and further in time but the kids playing HS football right now have never seen MD win a CIF ring. That has to weigh heavy on the Stache whether or not he chooses to wear his rings.

Sadly, I don't think MD has performed well in any of its finals appearances as of late. In each finals MD was pretty much been dominated right from the get go, the kids and coaching staff looked entirely bewildered, and as a whole MD looked and felt like they were outgunned. So yes...they've made finals appearances but they were lousy ones. Somehow I've always felt like the kids and coaching stuff were unprepared...which is crazy considering how well a Rollo team can punch above its weight class for a big game.

I still really didn't like seeing some kids getting frustrated and throwing punches during last year's finals. That's about as far away from "Pride Poise and Courage" as you can get...you can't put individual actions on the school/team but I feel like there was a time when doing something like that wouldn't even cross a player's mind when playing for MD.
There is nothing uglier in this world than a parent riding on the success of their child.

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:46 am

hit the lights wrote:Bracket D looking like the toughest bracket.

Agreed. Cathedral, Mater Dei, Mission Hills and Narbonne have four of the best QB's in Southern California, and they were all put in the same bracket.

The Old Gym

Postby The Old Gym » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:06 am

Let us not pretend he doesn't wear his rings. Please.

May not be every single day but they are worn.

Luca

Postby Luca » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:29 pm

pattywannamack wrote:Sadly, I don't think MD has performed well in any of its finals appearances as of late. In each finals MD was pretty much been dominated right from the get go, the kids and coaching staff looked entirely bewildered, and as a whole MD looked and felt like they were outgunned. So yes...they've made finals appearances but they were lousy ones. Somehow I've always felt like the kids and coaching stuff were unprepared...which is crazy considering how well a Rollo team can punch above its weight class for a big game.

I have wondered about that 17 year Mater Dei drought. Every other team in the Trinity League with the exception of JSerra - which didn't exist back then - has taken at least one Division I championship in that time. But if you averaged out the actual talent over those 17 years I don't think any of those programs match MD. And if you consider the situation since the open season on transfers/recruits appeared, no one but Bosco even comes close.

It's always been a good fundamentals team - blocking, tackling, dicipline, pursuit, etc. They've been OK with speed but not great.

It's open to interpretation but my own belief is that Coach Rollinson's best days are behind him. He's brought continuity for the last 30 years or so but the team is not as innovative as it once was. Pretty vanilla relative to what it used to be, actually. I still see that team having it's moments - he did a great job beating Santa Margarita in their championship 2011 season - but they had no business losing twice to an outmanned JSerra recently.

Annually very good but never quite good enough. It's strange. And now with Bosco and Centennial "attracting" (shall we say) at least as much talent as they do it's going to continue to be tough. For the foreseeable future, D1 will annually be between only 3 programs and I think MD is lagging in the clutch performance category. Just an observation........................Luca

Omar Bongo

Postby Omar Bongo » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:05 pm

Every other team in the Trinity League with the exception of JSerra - which didn't exist back then - has taken at least one Division I championship in that time.

True, but all things are not equal, you have to consider who they played. MD had to face two very good Bosco teams in 2013 and 2016...both went on to beat DLS in the State Bowl game. I would take either of those teams over any team Servite, SMCHS or OLU faced in their championship years.

Coach Rollinson's best days are behind him

Seeing as he won 5 championships in the '90s that's a pretty safe bet :lol:
Donald Trump

Donald Trump

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:49 am

Luca wrote: He's brought continuity for the last 30 years or so but the team is not as innovative as it once was. Pretty vanilla relative to what it used to be, actually.

I've heard these things repeated many times in the last five or ten years, and I couldn't disagree more. For his first 26 years, Rollinson teams ran their offense out of the pro set or power-I, and rarely deviated from that. They ran a basic 4-3 defense with a nickel back on passing downs. If that's "innovative", I no longer understand what that term means. They won with conditioning and execution, not innovation, trick plays and multi-flavor schemes. If anything, they were less innovative and more vanilla in the past than they are now.

In the past two or three years, they have transitioned to a spread offense and a base 3-4 defense, with more variation than in the past. The result has been a sophomore quarterback who shattered the Orange County and CIF records for passing yards and touchdown passes last season, and an offense that broke the all-time Orange County scoring record with 747 points. That's innovative enough for me.

It's open to interpretation but my own belief is that Coach Rollinson's best days are behind him.

That's true of almost every 67-year-old man on the planet. It's certainly true of other coaches like Kevin Rooney, Bill Reddell, Bob Johnson and Jim Kunau, not to mention Harry Welch, Jim Hartigan and Steve Grady, but it hardly diminishes their abilities or their accomplishments.

Ramon

Postby Ramon » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:32 am

FriarJoe throwing shade at Mater Dei...Glad to see nothing has changed...Keep trolling LOL

Mater Dei and Rollo aren't selling their "souls" for a ring...That's laughable
Never Underestimate The Heart Of A Monarch

Return to “High School”