Concordia (Irvine) U - now NCAA D2

cruiser

Concordia (Irvine) U - now NCAA D2

Postby cruiser » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:47 am

..for athletic programs, can now give out REAL athletic scholies for it's athletic programs,
(though not as many as D1)
This could be great for the very good OC athletes - wonder if they are thinking of starting
up a FB program? It is now the only D2 college program in the OC,I think?

I read somewhere in the paper a while back that they are also enlarging their campus?

Fordama

Re: Concordia (Irvine) U - now NCAA D2

Postby Fordama » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:06 pm

You're right, they'll be the only D2 in OC.

If they did start a football program, the D2 limit is 36 schoolies. However, it would take a big bucket of cash just to start up a program, and a continual flow of buckets to maintain it.

They are setting themselves up well for success in the women's basketball program. Just recently hired a former DI assistant coach who is the wife of the coach of girl's basketball at Mater Dei. Now adding scholarships to the mix...
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

cruiser

Postby cruiser » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:09 pm

Hmm, interesting stuff; Fordama, I wasn't aware the MD girls HC' wife had applied and got the
job. You'll probably see a few MD girl BB players on the Concordia girls team in the future.

And,I'm thinking if you work the schoolies right, even though only 36 full FB schoolies allowed, if you
give out 1/2 and/or 3/4 ones to some of the recruits, thrown in with some financial aid,you could probably get 50-60 decent FB players for the team? (which is probably what the upper tier D2 programs do
any way,I'm guessing?

(that is - if schools give out partial athletic schoolies, many moons ago they did but maybe
not now,anyone?)

Fordama

Postby Fordama » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:14 am

Good point about the partial schoolies. They could use that to pull in extra bodies.

However, tuition and fees for Concordia are just under $32K--about five times more than the local CSU Divisions 2 schools (Los Angeles, Dominguez Hills, and San Marcos.)

If Concordia did start a football team they would put a dent into Chapman's local recruiting. In fact, this could have an effect on all of Chapman's sports.
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

Fordama

Postby Fordama » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:05 pm

You got me interested in this, so I looked a few things up.

A football team is going to be expensive. They'd have to play independent or join the GNAC ( Azusa Pacific, Humboldt St, Western Oregon, Central Washington, Simon Fraser.) Azusa and Humboldt are the only D2 schools in California, outside of the GNAC schools, their closest road trips would be to New Mexico, Colorado, Texas, Utah, Oklahoma, Texas. I'm sure they'd get some games against DII or NAIA schools, but those schools probably don't want to compete too often against a scholarship school.

So I think they'll just stick with the sports they have, and move into the Pac West Conference. They'll take the place of Cal Baptist, who is going D1.

I came across this wiki page which lists all the colleges and universities that have athletics in California, their affiliation and conferences.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_c ... California

cruiser

Postby cruiser » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:11 pm

...interesting stuff, Fordama; I was not aware the tuition/fees were that much for an academic
year at Concordia. I guess we will have to wait and see why the school powers took the time and
effort to get elevated to NCAA D2 when they were an NAIA? school.

Return to “High School”