The 2017 OC Connect High School Football pool starts Thursday 8/24

Get your predictions in here!

Click the X at the upper right to dismiss this message.

Crean Lutheran High School...future upcoming Trinity League school?

BoscoWillBeBack

Crean Lutheran High School...future upcoming Trinity League school?

Postby BoscoWillBeBack » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:48 pm

Now, I don't know much about Crean Lutheran other than the fact there was a push for them to move to the Trinity League and the fact the AD is athletically ambitious. I also know they're a private school in Irvine and a lot of O.C guys can attest to the fact a lot of really good football players have come from Irvine.

Does anybody think Crean Lutheran will be an up and coming player?

cruiser

Re: Crean Lutheran High School...future upcoming Trinity League school?

Postby cruiser » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:05 pm

CL is an up and coming player, give them another five years or so and I think you might be right.
Rumor has it that they have received several players that would have went to OLU in the past.
The CL campus is much nicer than the OLU campus.

...on a side note, rumor has it that OLU will not field a pure frosh team for the upcoming season
because they don't have the numbers, true? - anyone in the know.

BoscoWillBeBack

Postby BoscoWillBeBack » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:13 pm

I do recall an article stating Crean Lutheran is trying to model themselves after OLU given they are the same type of school.

Interesting to see how they will turn out

Quiet on Baker

Postby Quiet on Baker » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:24 pm

MDdad knows the answer, but I don't believe there will be a Trinity League Frosh football schedule. Am I right about that?

2002tony

Postby 2002tony » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:26 pm

Cream is in an housing growth zone. There are whole communities being built around them and in just a little time the area will need a new public high school as well. It is a young community( ies) right now, if you go out there you will be amazed at how many new homes and complete housing tracks are going up. There may not be the numbers today, but they will be in position to have a large population pool growing up around them.

The Old Gym

Postby The Old Gym » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:01 pm

Sure, why not?

After all, Servite needs someone to beat...

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:47 pm

Quiet on Baker wrote:MDdad knows the answer, but I don't believe there will be a Trinity League Frosh football schedule. Am I right about that?

Here's how I understand it. Primarily because of declining numbers of kids coming out for freshman football, the six Trinity League schools voted 4 to 2 to go from fielding two freshman teams to only one. The intent is for the more talented and experienced incoming freshmen to play on the JV team, while the less athletic or experienced kids will continue to play on the freshman team. So instead of two freshman games (on Thursday afternoons and Saturday mornings), there would only be one game.

Because they have the numbers to support two teams (and therefore two games), I believe Mater Dei, Servite and St. John Bosco may agree to continue playing two freshman games against each other, but it's much too early to know if that will come to pass.

frankieboy1

Postby frankieboy1 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:43 pm

They would make 7 schools in the TL-would Bosco go back to playing with the LA County Catholic schools? From what I see here the TL has been very good for Bosco-why would they leave? Anyone here have a better handle on this?

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:43 pm

JSerra was not close to being ready to play Trinity League caliber football when they were forced to join the league. And Crean Lutheran is not close to being as good as JSerra was at that time. Putting them in the Trinity League would be both cruel and abusive.

templar83

Postby templar83 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:07 am

MDDad wrote: The intent is for the more talented and experienced incoming freshmen to play on the JV team, while the less athletic or experienced kids will continue to play on the freshman team.

And, the rationale for this move is, at least in part, to give the more talented and experienced incoming freshmen the opportunity to play complete games. Over the past few years the freshman teams at MD, and Bosco I believe, have only played about a half of their respective games each week because of lopsided scores.

cruiser

Postby cruiser » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:11 am

Hmm, thinking MD and Bosco wanting to keep it as is, and the others wanted the change - the
only problem now is that the frosh team championship will not mean much if you place your
better frosh FB players on the JV team plus you don't get the excitement any more of pure
frosh teams against one another. Times are changing.

Wondering if youth FB is in decline? - many,many boys (and I mean fairly good size ones) are
playing LaCrosse now and the youth/club teams are growing at a rapid pace - the parents/
guardians see it as a better experience for their sons, (less potential injury but same
overall benefits as in FB)

..will be interesting to see how the new system works out for the Trinity league frosh teams.
I'm thinking the schools that voted for the change will keep their best frosh players
on the frosh team and they can say their numbers dictate that - I can see why the schools
that voted for the change and don't have the numbers make it a win-win for them.
Last edited by cruiser on Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

BuckW

Postby BuckW » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:29 am

It is time to move MD out of the Trinity League to a freelance schedule in football and Basketball. Their recruiting and tuition assistance for athletic ability makes it impossible for the other OC Trinity schools to compete. This would also allow MD to schedule more competitive games throughout the season.

templar83

Postby templar83 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:29 am

cruiser wrote: I can see why the schools
that voted for the change

Who voted for the change?

templar83

Postby templar83 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:30 am

BuckW wrote: Their recruiting and tuition assistance for athletic ability makes it impossible for the other OC Trinity schools to compete.

You sure you didn't mean to reference Bosco with this comment?

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:42 am

BuckW wrote:This would also allow MD to schedule more competitive games throughout the season.

How would they do that? Having what some consider to be a superior team makes it more difficult to schedule opponents. Corona Centennial, Mater Dei and St. John Bosco found it almost impossible to fill their preleague schedules for 2017. In fact, even after scheduling Pittsburg and IMG Academy, Centennial was unable to find a tenth opponent to fill their schedule and currently is looking at a nine-game regular season.

Unless a top school has an unlimited travel budget, it's unbelievably difficult to find nonleague opponents. And constantly traveling for games is an unfair hardship on the players' academic demands.

frankieboy1

Postby frankieboy1 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:25 am

until the Pac-12 and WCC go division-1 in lacrosse, it's not going to put as big a dent in football as you think. And due to Title IX, I don't see this happening as quickly as it should (women's will happen much quicker). Utah just went D-1.

As a kid growing up on Long Island in the 1970's, at first baseball was the most impacted by lacrosse-football has always been weak there compared to New Jersey across the river due to restrictive rules (no spring practice, no summer camps, no passing leagues, coaching staff size restrictions, etc) and kids played lacrosse as one of the three sports they played at HS. Over time lacrosse became a 12 month thing and started cutting into football due to the fact that you can do lacrosse via clubs (can't do with football) and had the added hook of college money at Ivies and other top schools like Duke, UNC, etc...that was relatively easy at the time to get vs. football $$$ and still easier to get when living in the middle of one of the two big lacrosse areas in the country (the other being MD) vs.being located 3000 miles away from most D-1 schools and 1000 miles from the nearest D-1 (Denver)-Utah will make it 700 miles...

New Jersey OTOH has always done "proper football" (see above)-hence the Don Bosco's, Bergen Catholics of the world are competitive with the TL schools and other top teams in the country. Lacrosse big there too-but not as big as on Long Island.

cruiser

Postby cruiser » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:33 pm

Good stuff, frankieboy1...

dont be that guy

Postby dont be that guy » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:06 pm

cruiser wrote: the only problem now is that the frosh team championship will not mean much if you place your
better frosh FB players on the JV team plus you don't get the excitement any more of pure
frosh teams against one another. Times are changing.

Frosh Championships don't mean anything anyway. But times are changing. Two Trinity teams are fielding teams of mostly hold-backs, so you have teams filled with 15/16 year old versus teams with 14/15 year olds. The older Frosh should play on the JV teams and let the "true freshman" battle it out. It would likely still be a mismatch but at least they would be on a level playing field, age-wise.

IEking

Postby IEking » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:20 pm

You hit the nail on the head. I believe that is why CC, SJB, MD are so dominate in the varsity levels. Some seniors should already be competing in the college ranks. I know there are holdbacks on every team now but I'd be quite curious as to how many Holdbacks are on each of the top 10 teams.

cruiser

Postby cruiser » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:00 pm

Good points, IEking, but I think the matter all boils down to - as long as you play under the state
CIF eligibility rule - you are legally eligible; if a lot of people have a problem with it, then get a
petition going to change the state CIF rule?

I researched four states and their HS eligibility - New York, Florida, Texas and Ohio, all appear to
be in the same ballpark as to HS age sport(s) eligibility as CALI within a couple months or basically the same of each other for the eligibility cut off period.

...in Ohio you are eligible to play HS sports until you turn 20! years old, fyi

Return to “High School”