The 2017 OC Connect High School Football pool starts Thursday 8/24

Get your predictions in here!

Click the X at the upper right to dismiss this message.

Liberals are haters

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Liberals are haters

Postby John Q. Public » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:35 am

We've all seen it; many of us have seen it up close and personal.

In a new Pew survey, 47% of Liberal Democrats said that it would affect their friendship if a friend supported Trump. The feeling is strongest among white (40%), college-educated (44%) Liberals. The number drops to 35% for all people identifying as Democrats. It drops to 25% among conservative or moderate Democrats.

But... Conservatives don't like 'em either. 52% say it's stressful to talk politics with Trump supporters. 68% of Democrats say it is. Men get a little less stressed than women, 54% to 64%. But still.

Only 13% of Republicans said they'd hold it against a friend if he voted for Hillary. But I guess that makes sense, since a good many of them said they did.

And, as we've also seen here, Democrats are a little more likely (59%) to think that Republicans share their other, non-political values and goals. 56% of Republicans think that way of Democrats and the number drops to 49% among Conservative Republicans. The converse of that is maybe more telling. 42% of Liberals think Republicans don't share their values, where 47% of Conservatives think those stinkin' lefty Dems don't share their values.

"I already knew that" but interesting.

Don't look at me, I just work here.

Wabash

Re: Liberals are haters

Postby Wabash » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:37 am

I never let politics interfere with personal friendships. I've had several conservatives unfriend me on FB. But so what?

It's effing Facebook.
I'm not saying you're stupid. I'm saying you have bad luck when it comes to thinking.

We only started hearing about fake news when we elected a fake president.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:08 am

The Foreign Babe has managed to look beyond their voting for Trump with two friends but not with another - the one Romanian we know who voted for him. We both were taken aback by that one, since Trump's rhetoric was so anti-foreigner and what he campaigned on sounded so similar to the situation she'd fled. But, one of the Trump voter friends she's kept is an Arab. A Christian Arab, but an Arab nonetheless. Go figure.

I don't know that I have any personal, real-life friends who voted for him except the one Romanian woman. I do think less of her because of it, because it was so incredible to me given her situation, but I don't know that I'd scratch her off my friends list.

kramer

Postby kramer » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:23 am

Yep, science has shown that liberals (aka progressives) are more intolerant (and more authoritarian) than conservatives.
Last edited by Guest on Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:47 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: excessive and unnecessary quote removed
“We should have been warned by the CFC/ozone affair because the corruption of science in that was so bad that something like 80% of the measurements being made during that time were either faked, or incompetently done.”

- Scientist James Lovelock

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:36 am

Revealing way of putting that, Mr. 56%er.

joefutbol

Postby joefutbol » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:51 pm

kramer wrote:Yep, science has shown that liberals (aka progressives) are more intolerant (and more authoritarian) than conservatives.

Yeah, no.

Fordama

Postby Fordama » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:25 pm

Actual conservatives are in a tough spot. Trump has the "R" behind his name, but he has not ever really been a conservative. Now toss in that his personal behaviors stand against the old "moral majority" types in the party, his protectionist rhetoric doesn't thrill another portion, and all that's left is his not-so=bright base (the ones who still don't believe that Trump Jr. met with Russians.)

And the notion that "science" claims that liberals and more "authoritarian" than conservatives is just plain stupid.
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

Return to “National”