The 2017 OC Connect High School Football pool starts Thursday 8/24

Get your predictions in here!

Click the X at the upper right to dismiss this message.

McCain Speech

not4u13

McCain Speech

Postby not4u13 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:25 pm

I read some excerpts from McCain's speech he gave today. I really liked a lot of what he said. Seemed like it could be a wake up call for the Senate, if anyone was listening.

Anyone else have any thoughts or reaction?

Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir
http://www.quotesdaddy.com

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Re: McCain Speech

Postby John Q. Public » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:16 pm

Here's the speech if you missed it. Yeah, there were a few wake up calls in it for people on both sides, but I think especially for the Republicans. Nice that he was so emphatic about the current bill. I just hope that he's the same way about whatever McConnell comes up with next because I doubt he or many of his colleagues were listening. I'm sure Donald wasn't. Too many big words and full sentences.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cw4RqZAKa5A
Don't look at me, I just work here.

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:17 pm

But it is more than a little ironic that he came back from his taxpayer-paid cancer treatment to vote to allow the Senate to likely take access to treatment away from said taxpayers.

not4u13

Postby not4u13 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:48 am

Maybe. That really wasn't what he was saying though. He was saying that there will need to be compromise or there won't be a bill that should be passed. To me that reads as something more middle of the road.
Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountain is going home; that wildness is necessity; John Muir

John Q. Public
Site Admin

Postby John Q. Public » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:49 am

Sure. What he said was absolutely middle of the road and it was something all members of Congress should be chained to their seats and forced to listen to. But what he did was cast the deciding (party-line) vote to allow Republicans to start the process of doing what he said was "the people they actually work for" don't really want them to do. He, himself, said that even the Republicans' "best" proposals were what's made Obamacare more popular than it's ever been but he cast his vote to allow them to proceed. His vote might have been right on principle but principle and reality are very different in this case. He did have the option of saying he was holding his vote until he knew that the Senate was acting in good faith to the people of the country.

But I did like the jab at Trump when he pointed out that Congress isn't subordinate to him.

Fordama

Postby Fordama » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:13 pm

What he said reminded me a lot of what Al Franken wrote about the Senate in his latest book.

The Republican's first amendment to the health care law went down in the vote today--the part about gutting Medicare and allowing junk policies. Tomorrow they will vote on repeal of the ACA.
This country of the United States was not built by those who waited and rested and wished to look behind them.---JFK

not4u13

Postby not4u13 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:04 am

Now that we know the final results of this round, McCain's speech resonates even more. It could be a turning point. I think we're seeing other affects. Trump is starting to appear desperate. His latest pick of Kelly as chief of staff is interesting, especially since Kelly has stated publicly that Russian meddling in the election is true.

Will Republicans stand up for what they believe in, even if it goes against Trump's views in greater numbers? If so, I think we can point back to this moment and McCain's speech as a reason why.

Return to “National”