The 2017 OC Connect High School Football pool starts Thursday 8/24

Get your predictions in here!

Click the X at the upper right to dismiss this message.

Mater Dei or St. John Bosco - Who's better?

Playthegame

Mater Dei or St. John Bosco - Who's better?

Postby Playthegame » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:27 pm

Which team is best and why?

After hearing from some MD folks, depth is an issue at QB, Dline, and secondary, insiders know depth is key in making it to the Dance.

Where are Bosco's weaknesses? Should Bosco be Pre Season #1 over MD. Who is best on paper? Kinda seems like MD will have trouble stopping the high powered offense? I know MD was up to the defensive challenge at the beach with lot's of unders so what is the truth?

Who will be the Trinity #1? Why?
Last edited by Playthegame on Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Domingo

Re: MD vs. SJB

Postby Domingo » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:58 pm

Better question: Is there gonna be a single kid from a Catholic elementary school actually playing in that game between two CATHOLIC schools or will they all be standing on the sidelines with clean uniforms like last year?

OC HS Football Fan

Re: MD vs. SJB

Postby OC HS Football Fan » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:16 pm

Bosco exposed MD's offense last year. I would imagine MD will finally adjust and have more success on that side of the ball. MD's defense is really young in the secondary, and there is a lack of dline depth that will have to be offset by young kids. Transfers at LB have helped, but the game will come down to Bosco's run game and their QB Mitchell's ability to throw the ball. We know Mitchell can run, but he needs to be a more consistent passer (he struggled in those games at times last year). I say Bosco wins league in a close victory over MD during the regular season, but it will be a toss up by the time they meet in the playoffs (assuming injuries don't play a significant role)....

templar83

Re: Mater Dei or St. John Bosco - Who's better?

Postby templar83 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:14 pm

Domingo wrote:Better question: Is there gonna be a single kid from a Catholic elementary school actually playing in that game between two CATHOLIC schools or will they all be standing on the sidelines with clean uniforms like last year?

“Where the question of religion is concerned people are guilty of every possible kind of insincerity and intellectual misdemeanor.”
― Sigmund Freud

Playthegame

Postby Playthegame » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:33 pm

OC -

That is a good assessment, MD will have to be able to run the ball too and the kids will need to progress/mature fast...

Bosco - Wins both games, been there done that, more returning, experience and depth gives the edge to the Braves IMO.

I will need some convincing to change my mind...

Playthegame

Postby Playthegame » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:47 pm

Please remove my name from this topic. Thank you!

hit the lights

Postby hit the lights » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:50 am

Just guessing, this might be Rollo's last season, along with a possible JT DANIELS transfer to Gorman next year, MD IS primed for a TITLE!!If guys stay healthy, could be a great year to remember. But just guessing :lol:
--:--

watchersince68

Postby watchersince68 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:00 am

Rollo's wife has already gone on record she does not want him hanging around the house.

And JT to Gorman? Great stuff. You forgot LBJ had Kennedy shot in his home state.

MDDad

Postby MDDad » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:37 am

hit the lights wrote:Just guessing, this might be Rollo's last season, along with a possible JT DANIELS transfer to Gorman next year, MD IS primed for a TITLE!!If guys stay healthy, could be a great year to remember. But just guessing.

1. Every season "might be" any coach's last season. From what I know, it won't be Rollo.

2. And every player in America could be a "possible transfer to Gorman next year." From what I know, it won't be Daniels.

Playthegame

Postby Playthegame » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:33 pm

OC HS Football Fan wrote: I say Bosco wins league in a close victory over MD during the regular season, but it will be a toss up by the time they meet in the playoffs (assuming injuries don't play a significant role)....

After listening to Rollo break down Red Discipline, I think OCHSFBF has it nailed...if those kids mature and Secondary does not break down then toss up is about right. The youngsters are the unknowns but the older brothers will help keep them together and next year will just be scary, if not this year next year...MD definitely has some beasts on D, can't wait to see em in action...and a huge oline. Shirts in or shirts out?

The Old Gym

Postby The Old Gym » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:48 pm

Domingo wrote:Better question: Is there gonna be a single kid from a Catholic elementary school actually playing in that game between two CATHOLIC schools or will they all be standing on the sidelines with clean uniforms like last year?

Act gets old.

The answer is yes.

IEking

Postby IEking » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:24 am

I think Mater Dei has a better team but Bosco has a better coaching staff.

kid66

Postby kid66 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:08 pm

The only way MD beats Bosco is if they run the ball 25 times in there game when they play.

Coaching staff: Bosco is better and it's not even close
Offensive line: I would say MD with 4 returning starters, but Bosco is close behind
WR's: MD
QB: MD,
Defensive line: MD with the transfers and the right tackle moving to defensive end. Bosco is close behind
LB's: MD with the transfers and Genova coming back from injury.
Secondary: Bosco. MD is young
Special teams: MD

Last year in league, MD made the come back running the ball and Bosco threw the ball too many times. In the CIF playoffs, MD did not run the ball and Bosco sat back and dropped 7 to 8 and kept everything in front of them.

BigBosco

Postby BigBosco » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:26 pm

kid66 wrote:The only way MD beats Bosco is if they run the ball 25 times in there game when they play.

Coaching staff: Bosco is better and it's not even close
Offensive line: I would say MD with 4 returning starters, but Bosco is close behind
WR's: MD
QB: MD,
Defensive line: MD with the transfers and the right tackle moving to defensive end. Bosco is close behind
LB's: MD with the transfers and Genova coming back from injury.
Secondary: Bosco. MD is young
Special teams: MD

Last year in league, MD made the come back running the ball and Bosco threw the ball too many times. In the CIF playoffs, MD did not run the ball and Bosco sat back and dropped 7 to 8 and kept everything in front of them.

Bosco Defensive Line will be the best unit on the team this year. Easily better than last year. Both Run (a weakness last year) and pass defense.

Playthegame

Postby Playthegame » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:13 pm

A few more weeks have gone by and we get some looks tomorrow...I have no idea until I see some footage, the Bosco Aquinas game will be televised see marquee match up thread...Bosco has chosin a tuff road...I did that on purpose for dramatic effect...

Book rights are all ready being sought for the greatest HSFB game ever played...they should move the game to Allen Texas

Or Alamo stadium

Bigger

Ahh but this is Texas...I am getting off track..lot's of tests before the Clash of the Titans!!!

Return to “High School”